Towing timing

9724VF350

Tractor Guy
About to stick a fresh Farrell built 913 on my truck. Was wondering what you guys have been happy with on timing setting for a primarily towing vehicle.

Pump is at 450cc.
Timing is set on the pump at port closure.
181's
4k's
100cc at 0 boost
450cc at 35psi
0 plate
Farrell modified AFC
62mm/HT3B, don't remember more details on the 62, but I kind of wish it was smaller. I'm guessing it's my most anti-towing piece.
Lightly ported head.
F1 mach 3 injectors.

I'm thinking 18-20*

I always ran 17* on my 95 tow rig, but the 175's needed a bit more timing. I have no experience on a 24v p-pump truck. That truck would hook to anything sub 50K lbs and I wouldn't think twice until I tried to stop LOL

My 913 pump on the 98 12v was set at 24* most of the time with DDP4's and it would tow 10-12K lbs fine.

Chris

Keep in mind he's in Northern Ohio. 26deg might be tough to start in the winter without a blip of ether or some solid batteries.

Keep in mind he's in Northern Ohio. 26deg might be tough to start in the winter without a blip of ether or some solid batteries.

Or a block heater.
We are neighbors. Western Pa. is cold too. In recent years not so much though because Al Gore fixed that.
He had mentioned towing so I said agreed with 26*, we usually run them even higher for toys.

Or a block heater.
We are neighbors. Western Pa. is cold too. In recent years not so much though because Al Gore fixed that.
He had mentioned towing so I said agreed with 26*, we usually run them even higher for toys.

Shhhhhh..... LOL

28* Started fine in Cold Temps with 6x016's on a 24v. Comparitively my 12v doesn't like 26* below 40. It's all to do with bowl design and spray angle. I am at 40* now in the 24v and it starts ok without ether.

I ran my p24v at 20 for a while and it would pull a house down at like 950 rpms. New truck I’ve been towing 30k plus at 26-28.

Back