Another Land Speed Racing Diesel Truck Build...

Jetmugg

I feel foolish for missing out on this forum for so long - I just didn't know it existed.

Anyway, like a couple of other folks on this board, I'm working on a Diesel powered LSR attempt, using a Dodge truck as the basis.

Mine's a little different than the others, inasmuch as it's an '84 Rampage, which will use a VW 1.5L turbodiesel for power.

Maybe the simplest way to kick off my posting career here is to post a link to my build thread on the landracing website (I hope that's allowed).

Here goes...

'84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread

Steve.

A couple of quick pics....

DSC_0181.jpg

This is the Rampage as it was when I pulled it home.

dodge_rampage_complete-green.jpg

This is my photoshopped vision for completion.

There is a lot of build information at the landracing site. I'm just about to pick up the engine from the M/C shop, and still have plenty to sort out, including turbo selection and setup, water-to-air intercooler, intake tract fabrication, and a million other things.

For now, I'm just happy to be here.

Steve.

Saw it on land speed.com ! Welcome to comp d! Hope to be able to do a diesel powered lsr car in the future as well!

Current record in the class (1.5L Diesel Truck) is right at 106 mph through the mile. I'm shooting for 110.

Planning for 125hp, which is almost 3X the original power of a VW 1.5 diesel.

Current record in the class (1.5L Diesel Truck) is right at 106 mph through the mile. I'm shooting for 110.

Planning for 125hp, which is almost 3X the original power of a VW 1.5 diesel.

You need a de-stroked version of the engine this guy has!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eet8Q-Y5NVw"]450 bhp diesel golf - YouTube[/ame]

When I set out on this project, I investigated De-stroked TDI's and such, but I don't have the budget for anything that exotic.

My engine consists of a 1.5L rotating assembly (0.5mm oversize), inside a later 1.6 TD block. The TD blocks have thicker head stud bosses and piston "squirters" at the bottom of each cylinder.

I'm using a 1.9 "AAZ" cylinder head, with some mild porting work, smaller stem valves, upgraded springs, and a stock cam. These AAZ engines were never available in the USA, but a decent number of them have crossed south from Canada.

The injection pump I'm using has also been re-worked by one of our north-of-the border friends.

I have a

Another option that I would have liked to try is one of the 1.4L 3-cylinder TDI engines, which are also not available in the USA. They haven't been imported to Canada, either. There are some guys in Europe, however, who have really "twisted up" some of these 1.4L 3-cylinders. That would be a sweet engine for an LSR attempt, or for a street-driven VW Rabbit or other small car.

Great Video, there!!! As far as I can see on my screen, he revs that diesel up around 7K. That's a BUNCH.

Dave @ Passenger Diesel did 190whp uncorrected on a mustang dyno, with a 1.6idi bottom end, and a well ported 1.9 head, giles pump, and his own manifolds.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFV8yP0jWE"]Passenger - YouTube[/ame]

125hp should get you well over 110, especially with torque...

i had a 89 dodge colt, 89hp and 92 lbft from the factory, and it would easily do just a smidge over 100. and that car is not any type of aerodynamically "clean". your rampage is a cool little truck and hope you get it together for this year!

Back