Ladder bars vs. Traction bars

ehines218

I have done some searching but am having a hard time figuring out what I want to go with. Should I go with ladder bars or traction bars and who should I look at for getting some? Also pictures would be awesome of some setups.

The leafs will be staying for the forsee able future and mostly drag racing but might pull once or twice a year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

And I'm not sure I'd it says on here but this is going on an extended cab short bed 2nd gen

Ladder bars with leafs will bind unless you use a floater kit witch requires some work but will provide solid pinion angle control
Most use traction bars

What is a floater kit? And the fab part shouldn't be a problem. Myself and friends are decently handy when it comes to making stuff work

A traction bar, no matter the style, with a single link point at the axle and the frame bracket will bind leaf spring suspension. A shackle at the frame bracket allows the axle to move in an arc as the leaf spring suspension articulates. However, I don't believe you want to use a single bar type setup (2-link) with a shackle. Rather, a ladder type traction bar (3-link) with a shackle at the frame bracket.

Yes I'm pretty set on a ladder bar setup at this point. Now I'm having a hard time finding either plans for a set or someone who builds. I've talked with flight fab and their "ladder bar" setup is a traction bar with some extra tubing and a logo on it but is still only a 2 link setup

"Ladder" really only relates to how it looks, of course. But ideally, 2 points of contact on the axle, above and below the tube and the frame bracket with a small shackle. The shackle allows the bars to move forward as the suspension unloads and the axle "swings" forward in its arc. And vice versa (slightly) when it compresses.

Last edited:
Why not cal tracs? I think that's what I'm going to run on my truck, they seem a lot easier and more reliable than traditional traction bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think 60" length of the bottom tube is long enough for a 4x4 dually? I like that setup from who but I am concerned it's too short for my truck.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Back