Best intake runner

97rada

I know intakes are a benefit on our heads especially 12v heads but who has the best? Has anyone taken the time to do back to back dyno runs? I am just doing my own twin ram type deal this year because this engine is done and the trucks ready to go. But next year I want to open flow up and run a better intake, 13mm and billet rods. I have had no luck searching so what say you? If you can point me to a thread that would be great.
Austin

Be pretty hard to do back to back dyno testing since they all mount different. With holes in different places. You would probably be able to find flow numbers easier

Be pretty hard to do back to back dyno testing since they all mount different. With holes in different places. You would probably be able to find flow numbers easier

What do you prefer? Some seem crazy expensive compared to others as well.

For us, weight is always a consideration. Therefore, ours will be aluminum. The most important part is the surface of the runners exiting the plenum must be shaped good to promote good velocity and reduce turbulence. Any of them are a step above the factory offering IMO.

I'm not sure that Lenahan makes them, but I think I remembering seeing his name mentioned on one of the rice burner forums a while back.

I had started working on one with baffles (tube in a tube), but then I saw this design and thought it was better. My next build is a year away, so I've got time to make on.

Curious to see what your trucks runs, sounds like single digits for sure!

Last edited:
I'm going to be building one for a engine I'm working on, I'll probably make a couple extra.

I'm going with a bolt on shelf, that has better airflow characteristics than the stock shelf, and then a Lehmann/dual plenum manifold bolted on top of that.

The single plenum design that most sell, won't give you even air distribution. Check out the dual plenum design in the link below. That's the type that I'm making for my next build. I think Lenahan05 sells something similar.

Dual Plenum Intake Manifolds - Honda-Tech

Correction, Lehmann is the name you are looking for. I have not seen anyone actually use a Lehmann intake on a on one of these yet. I have talked to a vendor on here about them. Should help even out the air distribution to the cylinders. Waglers new head/intake on Milikens car is sort of close. Few snippets of the these on TDI's.

Build one on the flow bench and youll find what works, ZZ runners have pretty good flow characteristics with the best appearance imo. Better flowing runners can be made, but over all size and fitment along with pump configuration always have to be factored in. For instance, belt driving a p-pump on the passenger side would open up a lot of options on a 12v.

The higher the boost the less it matters. Most don't turn enough rpm for it to make a difference. The ones that run in that rpm range run constant rpm so they don't see the benefits.

Last edited:
Personally I would be more worried about getting the air to make the crappy short turn we have in both heads. Why the aftermarket is still stuck on these low port heads with the same valve layout beats the hell outta me. Look at any decent 2v head or even the oem 4v stuff. Runners are moved up for better/straighter shot into the cylinder.

Don't forget to check with Joe @ Joker Fabrication he does everything from mild port and polish jobs on cylinders to full race heads with his own runner intakes. He's usually reasonably priced as well!

I have decided to run a stock replacement shelf with a basic large Horn. Should be easy enough.

Personally I would be more worried about getting the air to make the crappy short turn we have in both heads. Why the aftermarket is still stuck on these low port heads with the same valve layout beats the hell outta me. Look at any decent 2v head or even the oem 4v stuff. Runners are moved up for better/straighter shot into the cylinder.

Supply and demand. I doubt they would sell many, CRs problem is getting enough fuel to make the power, not air limited. 12v's can't use the power they're making, and with turbo technology, I doubt you'll see many large improvements on cylinder head design until the OEMs change.

Supply and demand. I doubt they would sell many, CRs problem is getting enough fuel to make the power, not air limited. 12v's can't use the power they're making, and with turbo technology, I doubt you'll see many large improvements on cylinder head design until the OEMs change.

For the ridiculous price tag premium for anything associated remotely close to diesel I would agree.

I'm building a batch of these in the next couple weeks if anyone is interested. Billet runners all tig welded. ZZfab bolt pattern. $1200

Attachments

• BD57201C-B38C-4B5F-9236-ABC6CC104054.jpg
    BD57201C-B38C-4B5F-9236-ABC6CC104054.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
Back