CR power out of a 12V?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Is it feasibly possible to create commonrail like power out of a 12v?

I got rid of my 2012 6.7 because it was costing me so much money on repairs and I couldn't afford to keep it (14K in repairs over 2 years and still needed more work)

I miss the towing power of the 6.7. But have always loved the reliability of my 12V trucks. Honestly I've owned nearly a dozen 12V trucks but they were either left stock or setup for racing, so I have zero experience with a let's say 350-450hp 12v.

I'm assuming a small set of towing twins 58mm/75mm or maybe a 62mm/75mm twins?

Good quality injectors maybe 5X0.014?

O-ring head & valve springs.

Benched p-pump

Good quality valve body & converter for the tranny.

Is it feasibly possible to create commonrail like power out of a 12v?

I got rid of my 2012 6.7 because it was costing me so much money on repairs and I couldn't afford to keep it (14K in repairs over 2 years and still needed more work)

I miss the towing power of the 6.7. But have always loved the reliability of my 12V trucks. Honestly I've owned nearly a dozen 12V trucks but they were either left stock or setup for racing, so I have zero experience with a let's say 350-450hp 12v.

I'm assuming a small set of towing twins 58mm/75mm or maybe a 62mm/75mm twins?

Good quality injectors maybe 5X0.014?

O-ring head & valve springs.

Benched p-pump

Good quality valve body & converter for the tranny.

The Automatic is where it will be hard to make the 12v tow like a 6.7L. Power is easy, more gears is not.

10+ years ago my 1995 12v was making 398/998 dyno proven with a pretty mild setup. Towed anything I wanted to, but couldn't stop shit...pretty much like my 2010 4th gen, brakes still sucked!

It was a stock pump, 022 DV's and a ground plate. 3K springs with the AFC completely modded with all the normal stuff you can find on here. Believe injectors were a set of 5x.012's from a newer 215hp truck, but I don't remember that.

Air was a 58ET/65/12cm housing, and a F1 Helix 2 cam. I never liked a 62mm charger on a towing 12v because the EGT's never cooled down once you got it spooled. With the 58mm wheel, it would stay right at 1300* max no matter how hard you pulled it or for how long, and it took a while to get up there.

This was all with a 5 speed. Never really towed much with an old Auto truck, but the newer 6 speeds make a huge difference in daily driving, I would think towing is even more drastic.

Also, our empty trailers in those days weighed from 8K to 11K, and a load was pretty much anything from 45K gross weight and down, WAY over max weight for those old trucks, but that old girl handled it like a dream going up the hill...coming down was a little hairy, but one never got away from me.

Chris

EDIT...if you wanted to do twins, a 58 over a 69 or 71 is PLENTY. Honestly, if you aren't worried about making more than about 450hp, a 66mm primary would probably work amazing and spool even better. The old BD Tow twins with their 57 over a 69 worked VERY well on that old truck when I ran them, but then some of the newer Extended Tip wheel stuff came along and I wanted to try them, so I went with the cam and a 58mm extended tip single and was ecstatic with the results.

Not even sure if anyone is still talking about or selling extended tip stuff now, been out of the performance end of it for too long!

Last edited:
Since Chris gave the long answer, I’ll just say no.
A 5.9CR doesn’t even compare to a 6.7 in my opinion.
Less cubes, static timing, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back