NV4500 - notchy shifting ????

pgilles

i put a new 13" upgrade clutch (valair) in this past weekend and i was hoping to find a bad pilot bearing as my tranny has had notchy shifting before this new clutch, but the pilot bearing was in really good shape.

i can find myself stuck in a parking spot trying to get it into reverse, or grabbing 3rd or 4th before i can slide it into 1st.

i have SBC upgraded hydraulics and i upgraded the pilot bearing to a ball bearing type, and now am wondering what else the culprit might be...after some researching i have feel these are my options:

1) new fluid (fluid that is in tranny is still honey colored)?
*did new fluid take care of it? what was it? im aware the nv4500 is picky about its fluid.

2) new input shaft bearing (seems other had problems with it, i didnt take notice when it was apart whether it was tight...hindsight is 20/20 :bang )?
*anybody have to replace the input shaft bearing? how much play is allowed for the end of the input shaft?

3) read about a shim/spacer to put under the pivot ball to allow more travel in the fork?
*anybody hear/read this?

4) with 170k maybe it needs new synchro's and, well, basically, an overhaul?
*who has done an overhaul? how time intensive is it? read that it'll initially be hard to shift after the overhaul until the synchros wear in???

5) possibly the clutch but it was happening before hand as well

sorry if it got long, just wondering who else has dealt with this and what your solution was???

thank you!!
~Pat

also, if this is in the wrong forum, please move!

sounds like the problem i have, the syncros are out of mine, it had more play in the imput shaft than i liked, but i went ahead and put the new clutch in, thinking it will be ok. well 200mi later it is doing what your saying, and grinds in 3rd. but i had mine rebuild a little over a year ago. :doh:

I have had a similar problem, but i have the 6spd (NV5600) in my truck. I would put mine in reverse and every once in a while it would lock the rear wheels up. I ended up taking the tranny out and having it rebuilt at a trans shop. Only had the esentials put in such as a new shift rail kit (which was the major problem with mine letting it go into two gears at once), new syncros for reverse and 5/6th, new reverse and 6th gears. just those few parts was about $2,500. Maybe a little different for the 5 spd.

i ended up taking the tranny out a month or so ago and replaced the input shaft tapered bearing. didnt help.

when the truck is off, in first gear, then start it with no brake it does not move. when running, if i shift to 3rd or 2nd then it will usually fall into 1st, but not always.

i think at 170k, it needs to be overhauled (atleast new bearings and synchros) and i am trying to make the arrangements for that. whether i do it myself or call a reputable shop to do it for me, i want to buy the new components so i know im getting carbon fiber synchros and quality bearings....getting my stuff from quad4x4. just wish his rebuild wasnt so expensive (for me) otherwise id send my tranny to him. hes great quality but i just cant afford it.

check you fork and pivot ball, the pivot ball is nylon in these trucks and seems to wear out, valair will be posting on thier web-site this weekend on how to measure your fork and ball. we purchased new ones today from the dodge dealer the ball was $6.41 ,fork $40.00. if your ball was worn it would cause less travel on your bearing therefore causing a release problem. Might not be your problem, but then again it could be.
Dan Vallance
Valair Inc.

Back