Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Quick Tricks Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
MOMBENZ

Name: MOMBENZ
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
How to buy a used sct programmer

Hi,

My name is Vivian and I am with Quick Tricks Auto in Miami, Florida. I have been working with SCT since 2004, custom tuning the Ford 6.0L, the 6.4L since January 2010 and the 7.3L since September 2012. My business partner, Rene, was a Ford tech, both diesel and gasoline for over 23 years. We bleed Blue lol Please look for explanations to the * at the bottom. Just little notes.
I know many people ask about tuning but more importantly, for those of you who want to purchase a used SCT tuner, what should you look for? What are the differences? I consider SCT and tuning my expertise and would like to help so nobody makes a wrong decision and can recognize a good offer. I talk to a lot of guys who know nothing about what to do. Hope this helps you out.

FIRST:
The SCT programmers marry both the vin in your truck and the computer. If you change either, it will use up what is called, an unlock. If you go to Ford for a reflash, it will use up an unlock*. If you load it on another vehicle, after returning the first vehicle to stock, it will use up an unlock. If you put it back onto the first vehicle, after returning the second vehicle to stock, it will use up an unlock. SCT gives you 5 unlocks. After you go through the 5, you need to contact them and get a return authorization number. They will not accept anything that is not clearly marked with the RMA#. SCT charges $65 to give you back 5 unlocks and that includes shipping back to you. The most eta I’ve seen is 10 excluding shipping both ways.

There is another aspect to the unlocks – since it marries both your vin and computer, if you leave a tune in the first vehicle and load the tuner onto another, the programmer will lock. You cannot use the programmer anymore and the second vehicles’ computer can corrupt and that vehicle will not start. This is called a locked tuner. To unlock it, SCT charges $150. Instructions and processing time is the same as getting 5 more unlocks, listed above.

SECOND:
What tuners do you look for? SCT’s first programmer the Xcal a/k/a X1 – It was a black box. NO. The software was changed in 2004.
I think early 2005, SCT introduced the Xcal2 and discontinued in 2008. This one had a screen ½” x 1 ½” inches, give or take. I do not recommend purchasing this used programmer. The software changed again and continues to change, often, but the whole setup of this tuner cannot handle it. Electronic devices have glitches. With this programmer if the tune does not download right, it can corrupt your stock computer. With newer devices SCT can put a stock computer in your truck. With the Xcal2, your truck will not start you will need to go to Ford to get a reflash. The most I would pay for this tuner is $50 and that is if you are going to have tunes downloaded personally by the tuner. Even then, I would be weary and you need to make sure the firmware is the latest.

Sometime in 2007, SCT introduced the X3/SF3. The X3 is a custom tuner only. It has no preprogrammed tunes so you need to have a tuner write your files. The SF3 includes SCT preprogrammed files and has the capability for custom tunes too. Both will work on most Ford vehicles. Contact SCT for compatibility. Both are good programmers. It is basically a tuner. SCT has the Livelink software to datalog. It is a good software, in case you get a chance to use it.

Introduced early 2007, the Livewire 9600, is for Ford vehicles up to 2007 on the 6.0L. For other vehicles, please contact SCT for compatibility. Any other 9600 series model, i.e. 9621, 9623, 9625 and all model numbers ending with an OR, are for the 6.4L. Those Livewire’s will not work on the 6.0L at all and the 9600 will not work on the 6.4L. There is a lot of information and I may forget to mention something but feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

ITSX (introduced 2011) – Tuner and monitor that works with I-devices and Android devices.*

Livewire TS (introduced 2012) – Tuner and monitor – touch screen *

X4 (introduced 2014) – Tuner & Monitor – Optional mount - Wifi *

WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A USED SCT:

Someone is offering you an X3/SF3: Look at the serial number, If it starts with an X3, it is from the original ones. If it starts with an XP, it is after SCT separated the X3 into X3 – Custom Tuner (only custom tunes) and SF3 – Preprogrammed Flash Device – preprogrammed tunes but allows custom files. The SF3 is more expensive cause it comes with SCT files too. You can run them until you find a custom tuner, for your vehicle.

You find an SF3/X3, used: Check to see if it is married. Go to Device Info, choose Select. Scroll down. Device Info will give you the serial number, software version, tune version, how many unlocks are left and whether it is married or unmarried to a vehicle. If it says “married”, the vehicle was not taken back to stock, you will be liable for a $150 charge to get the programmer working. This screen will also tell you how many unlocks are left, that is the $65 charge, mentioned above. If there is one unlock, you can only put it on your truck. If anything happens, you will need to send it to SCT. I recommend at least 3 unlocks when buying a used programmer at top dollar.
SCT makes a good product. In all the years I have been working with them and the quantity I have purchased, I have had less than 1% units, defective out of box. I feel comfortable recommending you purchase used units but know what you are buying.

*There are no reflashes once the year mfr'd goes out of warranty.

*The same instructions for checking serial number, software version, tune version, how many unlocks are left and whether it is married or unmarried to a vehicle, apply to the newer programmers: X4, ITSX, Livewire TS. Any other programmer, please feel free to contact me 305-328-8778 x808.
Miami, FL 33186
Tel: 305-328-8778
Fax: 305-328-8770
Email: vivian@quicktricksauto.com
Welcome Page
Join us on Facebook

Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Great write up!

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 06-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
MOMBENZ

Name: MOMBENZ
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Thank You. It is always a pleasure to say "hello" to you.
Miami, FL 33186
Tel: 305-328-8778
Fax: 305-328-8770
Email: vivian@quicktricksauto.com
Welcome Page
Join us on Facebook

Closed Thread