Hy35 on a stock turned up 12v

blackmega3500

Buddy is putting a HY35 from an 03 iirc on his all stock 12v.

It's an 89 non intercooler, what kind of boost and egts can he expect?

Recommendations for him?

I think it'd be a good match for a mildly turned up VE. Those turbo's have a 9cm exhaust housing, should spool quick and be responsive. It'll handle 45psi all day, if he pushes more than that it won't make it long.

I think it'd be a good match for a mildly turned up VE. Those turbo's have a 9cm exhaust housing, should spool quick and be responsive. It'll handle 45psi all day, if he pushes more than that it won't make it long.

How bout the factory head bolts?

That's a pretty great turbo for that application if you can find it for really cheap. Just keep in mind you'll need a different downpipe, and intercooler piping. The oil line is a goofy thread if I remember correctly.
An s300 if a little bit of a better option in my opinion though. If he ever wants to upgrade, or change housings and wheels, it's going to be really easy.

That's a pretty great turbo for that application if you can find it for really cheap. Just keep in mind you'll need a different downpipe, and intercooler piping. The oil line is a goofy thread if I remember correctly.
An s300 if a little bit of a better option in my opinion though. If he ever wants to upgrade, or change housings and wheels, it's going to be really easy.

He's a stupidly skilled welder and fab guy. He's done a srw to drw on it already, stripped down to gram and motor. Sob has 500k on it and sounds quieter at idle than his other 5.9 Or my 6.7!

He said he got it for $150. I saw it this am. No shaft play, and free spins nicely.

He'd be better off with an HE351cw.
Similar package, better compressor wheel and housing.
I have a couple "HY35s", as you call them, for $100 apiece.

Mark.

Last edited:
I always took it the hy35 was basically and hx35 with a smaller exhaust housing. I've seen them on vp pumped trucks.

Smaller compressor than an hx35. They work very well in low hp aplications. A VE will like the upgrade. The outlet is a turn down but its a 5 bolt cover. You can remove the 2.5 vband cover from an hx or wh1c and bolt the stock exhaust onto it.

Okay, breakdown on models:

HY35w 2000-2002, looks similar to an HX35w, but has the 6cm housing.

HE341, aka; HY35w-D (or type d), has a 57mm(?) compressor wheel, fits 2003-2004 non-325hp engines.
This turbo looks similar to the HE351cw, with the forward aiming compressor outlet, but has a smaller compressor wheel and housing, as well as NO electric solenoid on the compressor housing.

HE351cw, has a 59.9mm compressor wheel, used on the 2004.5-2007 325hp in Dodge trucks.

HE351VE, aka; 351VGT, has a 59.9mm compressor wheel, with electronic-contolled "vane" ring and built in exhaust brake capability, used on 2007.5 through 2012 6.7s in Dodge trucks.

HE300VG, aka; 300g or 300vgt, used on 2013-2007 6.7s in Dodge trucks.

This is all from memory.
I could search out more particulars on the exhaust side dimensions, but that is pointless to me.

Mark.

Back