215 vs 180 P Pump?

thisguy65

Whats the difference between these two, other than one is for a auto (180hp)?

What is someone use a 215 on a auto any negative effects?

No real difference as far as that goes, pumps function the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't hold me to it but I know a 215 pump has notched plungers where a 180 pump does not but I was told a 215 has a lighter governor.

You could ask Seth or another pump builder for specifics on how much fuel potential they have, and ramp rates on the cams.

The biggest thing is the 215 pump retards timing at higher RPMs.

I do believe stock vs stock, the 215 pushes out more fuel, but that might be just from a DV standpoint.

180hp pumps will run a lot better with upgrades and no timing advance on plunger helix . 215 is not a bad pump just can't run any more than 18mm rack travel due to timing issues. All depends on setup and goals mild setups 215 pump is fine

Last edited:
I made more power going to a 215 pump from a 180 pump. Same gov springs, comp cut del valves, all the same parts swapped from the other pump. I also ran a rack plug on the 215. If you read the thread linked above it will explain how the 215 works.

Rack cap on a 215 retards timing about 18mm of rack travel .. I made over 1200 hp with a 180hp pump either pump will make good power .

There's a ton of misinformation out there on 215 pumps. They run well, and when setup by a good pump builder, they can flow a lot of fuel. It's a long injection window to inject all 600+ cc's, but that's nothing some more injection base timing can't help!!!

The plungers have a notch, when in the notch, timing is reduced a few degrees, when rotated beyond the notch, timing comes right back up to baseline so no "retard" at full throttle. When setup perfect by a great pump shop, your baseline timing can be in the retarded part of the notch and then as you give it more throttle (rack travel) it can rotate up the helix to the advanced position. That's right, timing can advance a few degrees with the throttle application!!!

FYI, there's quite a bit of difference in total fuel flow capacity:
The upper limit of most built 180 pumps is 500 cc's
The upper limit of most built 215 pumps is 650 cc's.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I didn't know if a manual pump would run on the auto with out some tuning. I figure have to tune the idle.

pump doesn't care what trans you're running. might have to adjust the afc and preboost a little for a stick, but other than that it won't matter which pump you run.

The plungers have a notch, when in the notch, timing is reduced a few degrees, when rotated beyond the notch, timing comes right back up to baseline so no "retard" at full throttle.

How can this be when the base timing is set using the bottom of the notch as a reference?

Back