Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
qmikep

Name: qmikep
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Rear crank seal with wear sleeve install help.

I've got to replace my rear main due to leaks. I replaced it a couple years ago and as there was a slight groove on the crank, I drove the seal in a bit further as some suggest, instead of installing the wear sleeve. Unfortunately it didn't last long, 30,000 miles and a oil dusted south bend cluthch later and I've got to do it again.

So I got one of the cummins rear main seals with the wear ring. Unfortunately unlike the front crank seal with where sleeve, it doesn't come with the plastic pilot tool to get the seal to slip over the nose of the crank/installed wear sleeve. Apparently cummins has you install them as an assembly and it requires a $100 + dollar tool to do.

Has anyone installed the wear sleeve rear main combo without using the special tool? Maybe using the flywheel and the old rear main seal install ring together to press it on ?

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I have used a flex plate or flywheel in the past to push them on using the bolts. Its not ideal because it's hard to keep it straight and the depth may not end up quite right, but its doable.

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 04-28-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
I install the seal into the seal housing first with the normal seal install tool. Then I use the center of a flywheel to press it onto the crank. I've used flexplates as well, but I like the flywheels as they have a female rabbet to set the sleeve depth on the crank, and won't bend the alignment tangs that are on the flexplate. But you gotta use what you have. Done two or three this way with no issues.

My p-pump conversion pics

Closed Thread