Gen 2 starter question

This is the one Jegs has. Doesn't say if it's a mini.

Powermaster#713-9053
Dodge Denso Diesel Starter
1994-2002 Cummins 5.9L Diesel
$248.99

I will not be of much help but would like to let others know what not to waste their money on.

I bought the mean green starter from XDP which is advertised as 2/3 the size of a stock starter and has 100% more cranking power.

The starter is the exact same size as a stocker and has nowhere near 100% more cranking power. I would have to say its less then 20% more cranking power then what was in the truck.

That starter ran $370 and was almost a total waste.

Last edited:
Ok here's the deal I need the starter for a rat rod build... I ended up using a 93 starter on my 96 engine... It looks to be the exact same starter that is flipped upside down (which is perfect for room I need). I was only able to get two blots in but that should hold just fine... Anyone know why this would work? From the bell housing side you can't tell its a different starter.

Even if the adapter plate is a different thickness it still mounts to same location (just clocked in different position).

yes but it may not go out far enough to engage the teeth properly, or go out too far and chew up the flywheel.

yes but it may not go out far enough to engage the teeth properly, or go out too far and chew up the flywheel.

What he is saying is that the starter still mounts to the same surface that's even with the back of the block. And the flywheel doesn't move so the engagement should stay the same in both instances

Back