Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #1441
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
How did I spend my day today? Worked from 5am till 11am here at the house on the day job then headed to the City to attend the public comments meeting at the corporation commission about the Wind Catcher Wind farm and transmission line AEP (You can't spell cheap without AEP) / PSO.

My summery of the meeting:

Quote:
There were a lot of people at the Wind Catcher public comments session at the Corporation Commission today. There were basically 3 groups of people there for the most part besides the companies and unions wanting to get a piece of the pie by speaking in favor of it.

There were the people getting the wind mills with dollar signs in their eyes on the damages payment and royalties and tax dollars from the generation for their area. That was about 60% of the people that got up and talked from land owners to mayors to county commissioners to others with a chance at getting trickle down monies.

The second group were the environmentalists, including Sierra club and others touting global warming and how great wind generation was. I noted that all those in favor that spoke in this group were from major cities that won't have the wind generator or transmission lines affecting their lives, but they will feel for those affected as one woman said but it was needed. (Sorry/Not Sorry)... That made up about 30% of the speakers.

The final group were the few of us that get to enjoy all the negatives of the project, the transmission lines. There was Me, a guy from around Skiatook lake, a gentleman from Sperry, and a woman with a large multi generational family farm out west. All but the Sperry guy had land affected by the transmission lines, the 3 of us all declared that no deals would be made and we would be going to court over the issue if they pursued it across our properties by using Eminent Domain. Included also in this grouping was the Speaker for the Osage Nation that also spoke out against the Transmission lines going across Osage County.

While I spoke, the commissioners appeared shocked that I'd never been contacted about the line possibly going across my land, I had a few points I wanted to express, not sure I got through them all, while talking as I'd been sitting there for 3+ hours waiting my turn, mind numb from listening to people drone on for 3+ hours, and public speaking isn't my forte at all.
I was trying to not truly and vulgarly state what I thought of the whole ****ing thing. Tried not to shock the ears of the commissioners too much.

I talked to the judge running the show after it was over when I submitted my stuff and said that I was coherent, but the stenographer might have had trouble keeping up with the speed at which I talked... I submitted my typed notes, including the enlarged map showing the line and width of right of way across my place and Karen Carter's place with the line being within 400' of my house and about 6-700' from her house. As well as the studies I used to gather information about effects of these large lines on property values, animal health, human affects and other side affects of 765,000 volts of electric running down the wire. All of the info I found was only dealing with 100 kV to 365 kV lines.

Thought there would be more people from our area there, but guess it wasn't that important to show up and voice their thoughts in person.
Got home about 7:30 or 8:00 and applied the first coat of paint to the now dried opposite sides and other small things and then put a couple more hours into the day job work...

Will apply a 2nd coat in the morning when I get up, then figure out what I'm going to do on my day off. Maybe try and start the tractor since it's supposed to be 45 degrees tomorrow and get the wood shed out of the shop and moved into place.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 01-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #1442
Broaner

Name: Broaner
Title: Been There n Broke That
Member`s Gallery
Wow. Thats some chit aint it. Those lines are no joke. Good thing you went to state your case and to let them know you won't back down. There are lines like that they just ran through Madison and you can hear those things crackling from 300 yards. Stick it to the man. Take em to court and/or make em pay big.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #1443
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
The map where the transmission lines are running was changed/updated since Weds and now it's not showing through our place, so fingers are crossed.

Finished painting the parts this morning with a second coat. Then drug the wood shed outside the shop and cleaned up where it was and the general area some. Drug my 100 gallon fuel tank and a dana 24 off of the platform I had them sitting on along the fence line and got the weed eater out and cleaned the area up. Moved it over there with the 4 wheeler and the boys helping.

Tried getting my tractor started today and something is definitely wrong with it, just not sure what. Need to do a little research and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

Put the hydraulic pump on the base for the bale spike and started making new main wires to replace the rotted ones that were with it. Need to order another cable disconnect set.

Seth finished up my pump today and tested my injectors out and they all tested good. He figured out what caused the issue, wasn't dirt, the pump shop that rebuilt it last spring bottomed out my aluminum an fitting into the pump and the heilicoil cut off about 2 thread worth and that got into the pump and chewed it up. I'd used that fitting since I started racing the truck 7 years ago.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #1444
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Getting up at 5:30 to cook breakfast at the legion this morning wore me out, but we did get all the firewood moved and stacked in the shed. Sold my 100 gallon fuel tank and pump to some guy, getting it out of the way.

Finally got the last door hinge pin out of my cab, ended up having to drill almost all the way the whole length to get it out.

Drained both the water tank and intercooler of water, then removed the fittings off of the intercooler and removed the hoses off of my water tank. Need to get them to my cousin along with the fittings to get 2 bungs welded on the bottom of the intercooler to add feed the water in from the bottom and out the top from the 2 pumps. Adding another large fitting to the back of the water tank so each pump has it's own source and putting 2 fittings into the front of it to return the water back to the tank.

Hoping the rain happens tomorrow that they are calling for, have a huge pile of scrap lumber from all my different projects that I want to get burned so I can finish clearing that area out.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #1445
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Been a busy few days, Sunday, it was a light rain all day and I crashed hard Saturday night and slept late. First time I've done that in a long time. Since it was wet and staying wet, the boys and I dragged all that old scrap wood out to where I wanted to burn it and after a little coaxing with diesel and a propane torch, we got it lit and it started off slow and then came to roaring life after it dried out the wood. Managed to get all that old lumber burned to a small pile of ashed and bits of metal. Now I need to get out there when it's light out and get all the metal out of the pile.

Monday night, I worked on getting stuff ready for taxes and pulled my 99 beater into the shop and got the base of the bale spike put on the truck. Injection pump and old parts arrived back from Seth, all ready to go for this season. Are 215 pump cams worth anything?

Tuesday the parts arrived and I went to work getting hoses plumbed, cylinder installed, etc... Had to pick up another hose while in Skiatook for the monthly Legion meeting and got it on and filled it with fluid. I roughed in the wiring of the two solenoids and ran the power up to the battery and got the controller in the cab and ran them back to the spike. Roughed in the wiring with the diodes in place and worked the air out. It extended the ram. Great.... No retraction. Crap. Fooled around with it for a bit then decided the hell with it and came in the house at 10:30.

Today was the first day of 2 of all day meetings at work (yeah, great fun) for quarterly planning for our team and the 2 other development teams in our group. Total Cluster this time around. They decided we need to save money this time so they didn't bring in the remote developers and didn't cater lunch. Looks like I will have my work cut out for me this quarter, I've got some major changes to my matching environment I've created that's going to take atleast the whole quarter to implement and test it all out end to end... They didn't find my risks I listed when we were going over them of me getting a better job offer as a high risk.... no sense of humor in these people or sense of reality... Company has been loosing good developers for a while now, down 3 at this point in time from those walking in the last couple of weeks, and IT overall is even worse. Annual "raise" was a joke this year and we are under mandatory budget tightening, so no training classes, etc... But we have a ton of money in the back for acquisitions in the industries we are in and no debt at all. Company has really changed since the old CEO retired and the board put a bean counter in place as CEO. Well, enough *****ing about that. Ran at lunch and bought a bottle of Nitrogen.

So when I got home tonight I recharged both of my front shocks after changing out the hoses. Charged each to 210 where they were before I changed out the hoses. New low loss gauge works great for testing pressures, deflating and recharging.

Next moved on to the spike to figure out the issue with retraction. Ended up pulling the valve assembly out and found that when installing it I mucked up one of the backup teflon seals, so tomorrow I've got to try and track down a new one... Finished up final wiring up everything, tying up the lines under the truck. The main power lines have new quick connect fittings on them and used a 4 way trailer plug for the control connection.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #1446
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
After spending a few hours cleaning the shop up, was way too messy and cluttered to focus on anything, last night I got the shocks put in the truck and put the frame up on stands so I could measure for the new limit straps. Change got me another 2 inches of possible drop on the front end. Also cleaned up the front rotors while I had the tires off.

Tonight, I cut apart the frame I had for the bed, removing 18 3/8" from the center of the frame and then making bolt together plates for it out of some aluminum angle. Did it this way so I can remove the frame without having to unbolt the cage and cab if I ever need too. Need to figure out the front frame mount next. May just clean up the original bed frame mounts and weld them onto the frame to make it easy if I can fit them where I need them. The bed is now 65" long. Need to figure out how my CF material I have left and see if I'm going to have to order more or not.

Had a busy weekend. Listed cows, heifers and bulls up for sale and sold three bred cows saturday and 1 bred cow, 3yr old heifer and 1yrs old heifer Sunday. Need to round them up and get them penned up Friday for the Sunday 3 to be picked up and the first 3 for me to deliver about 30 minutes away.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #1447
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
The new limit straps came in today along with 2 1" npt weld in bungs. Going to have my cousin weld them end to end and then weld them into my water tank. Need to get ahold of him tomorrow and see when he will have some time to weld these bungs in for me.

Tonight, had my son help me and we took the full sheet of coated shelf board and cut a piece off at 30 degree angle and then flipped it, then glued and screwed it back on. This will be the mold I use to make both bed sides and the front of the bed.

Checked my stock of square weave Carbon Fiber and only have enough left to do half a bed side so need to order some more over the next couple of weeks. Been trying to decide if I want to make the stake pockets like on the original fenders and think I will go ahead an make a mold to make a pocket for all 4 corners and then epoxy them onto the sides.

Figured out my front bed to frame mounts. Took some 2x2 aluminum angle and cut them 6" long. bolted them to the 2x4 angle support on the bed frame with 1/4" bolts and need to pick up some either fine thread bolts and drill and tap the frame for them or get some decent sized self tapping bolts, along with some shorter 1/4" bolts. Will see what the oilfield supply store has tomorrow when I go in and get some more 12' pipe corral panels.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #1448
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Attached the front bed mounts to the frame with some 1/4" self tapping screws. Should work fine.

Borrowed my brother's tubing bender this weekend and clamped it to my steel bench and bent up my shock hoop. Cut it to the length I wanted and then made the mount plates to the frame. Tacked it together and then full welded it to the plate. Then I got the shock tabs and radiator tabs tacked on, need to finish welding it all together now.

Marked the water tank and intercooler where I want the bungs welded onto them.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #1449
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Been focusing on getting tax crap done so it's off my plate, making good progress on it, waiting on w2 for my wife then I can get them completed.

On the truck, got the shock hoop welded onto the attach plates and all the tabs for the radiator and the shocks welded onto it. Cut off the unneeded tabs on the cage for the shocks and radiator and then got the parts prepped for Por 15 last night and today. Hopefully can get the first coat on them tomorrow.

Dropped off the intercooler and water tank to my cousin today, he's going to get the bungs all welded up on them so I can start installing crap back into the cab.

Once the shock hoop is done, I can get it onto the truck and start getting the floor figured out and reassembling stuff on it.

Got a report from John, the oil pump and front ring gear were bad in the trans. Should have it finished up shortly and back to me, then I just need to get my engine together.

Need to place an order for CF to get the bed sides made. Will probably order them next week.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #1450
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Saturday was spent with Turbo, we took her to the home and garden show and then to see the monster trucks run next door at the Tulsa fairgrounds. She was waving her hands around and we finally figured out she was helping back the trucks up from watching the guys down positioning the trucks. Yesteday, her and I put hay out for the cows, then we fixed a drip on my lower radiator hose and put together the top ring on my water tank and resealed it.

After taking her back in the house, I got the first coat of por15 on the back cage bars and the shock hoop. Put a second coat on later in the day. Will get the hoop put on tonight hopefully and then start putting the bed floor together.

Heading to lowes after work today to pickup enough lumber to build 4 horizontal beehives and see what I can find in plastic heavy duty fittings to plumb the intercooler and water tank in the cab.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #1451
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Didn't accomplish crap last night other than buying enough lumber to build 4 horizontal bee hives and to replace some perches and holders for my 5 gallon bucket rack of nesting boxes.

Tonight, got the shock tower bolted in, fought with those huge shocks to get them in and bolted in and their reservoirs mounted. Then got the radiator and transmission coolers installed. Cut the aluminum piece for the back of the bed, Need to trim one side a little bit to make it fit better and then it will be ready to bolt in along with the battery, fuel cell and fuel pumps.

I ordered more carbon fiber fabric Sunday night so I can make the 2 bedsides and front bed end. 15 yards of square pattern and 8 yards of twill weave.

Today I made a bunch of calls to get reservations for the griswald family vacation this summer. 10 nights of camping with the Fam. Renting a 12 passenger van, taking my 74 year old dad, my mother in law, son, 2 daughters and their other halfs and turbo. Should be an interesting trip. 3400+ miles, hitting many national parks with the focus on Yellowstone where we are camping 3 night. Also hitting a Capulin Volcano in New Mexico, a full day in Colorado Springs to take them up Pikes Peak, Dinosaur National Monument, Craters of the Moon, eating at the Red Iguana in SLC, Teton and Yellowstone, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #1452
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Busy weekend but I did manage to get out to the shop today and put some time in on the truck and make a little progress. All of the floor is now cut out for the bed, the front piece is waiting on the clear coat I sprayed on it to dry before I mount it into the bed.

With the back 2 pieces in, I was able to remount the radiator. Got the battery mount and battery installed. Cut out new thicker neoprene for a gasket to help keep mud out of the bed where the fuel pumps go through the floor and mounted the fuel cell.

Got the fittings installed into the intercooler and the water tank and have them mounted in the truck. Now I can start running water lines to the pumps and cooler and return lines.

Yesterday, on the other side of town there was a little fire. Burned somewhere close to 10k acres. They finally got ahead of it after the wind died down, at one point I heard the fire was moving 260 feet per minute. The wind was even worse today.

Picked up a pickup load of lumber this past week while in T town to build 4 horizontal bee hives and ordered a 6x8x7 aluminum framed greenhouse for the garden area. Have a bunch of peach and nectorine pits I'm trying to germinate, will be interesting if I can get them going.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #1453
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Transmission shipped back to me today from Muldoons, should have it early next week. Found quite a few things wrong with it, a missing a bushing in OD and a missing selective on the intermediate shaft I believe. Pump was bad, front planetary ring gear, overdrive sun gear. So hopefully all my trans problems are in the past.

Still waiting on an engine to be built. So tonight, I put the final piece of diamond plate on the bed floor and got it bolted down. Ran all the water lines between the water tank and intercooler and pumps. Took about 17' of 3/4" hose to get it all plumbed.

Started 2 new projects tonight like I need more. Took one of my young bull skulls and bleached it and then peroxided it and have it drying now after washing it off. Going to attempt to cut some veteran based images into it after I polish it up a little bit. Thinking about the POW-MIA and another image along with an american flag. After I cut them in with a dremel, going to put a wall hanger on the back and then clear coat it. Donating it for a fund raiser auction for one of our legion members who's been real sick and in the hospital for the last 6 months and lost use of his legs. Also donating some coaltrain t shirts and a couple of 10lb beef and pork packages. Hoping we can help them out some, know they have hospital bills out the butt.

The 2nd project is an attempt to make a silicone mold to make my wife some more skull planters for her little cactus plants. Going to use some of that thick epoxy and some dyes I bought along with some glow in the dark ones to make them.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #1454
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well the silicone didn't work out on molding the skull planter, so I ordered some silicone mold 2 part mix. Got it in today and built a little mold holder and got it mixed and poured. Will find out tomorrow if it worked out. The color pigments and neon pigments came in today, will be interesting to try and color the epoxy before I pour it into the mold if it comes out ok.

My green house came in that I ordered, a little 6x8 aluminum framed one. Got a portion of the frame up today, still need to build the base out of 4x4's and dig a few holes to concrete anchor it in the ground.

The skull is finally bleached and as white as I think it's going to get after a week of soaking in hydrogen peroxide. Printed out some different sizes of each image I want to use and played with layout on the skull to see which would work best. It's either going to be the one pictured below or just that flag and a larger kneeling soldier.

On the truck, pick up the transmission tomorrow at the shipping facility.

Cut holes in some plastic pipe to keep from getting it blocked by ice pieces and put them in the water tank.

Also removed all the relays for the latching circuits, just going to use regular switches this year. Once I removed them, I mounted the power panel back in the truck.

Also been working on the edge of the bedside mold, I think one more pass at sanding it after the last application of some epoxy and it should be good to start making the 2 bedsides and the front panel on the bed. My order of CF material came in and got it unpackaged and ready to use. The orange piece I got, just isn't going to work I think. It's way darker than the trucks paint is.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #1455
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Finished up the cow skull for the benifit we are doing, ended up just putting 2 images carved into it. painted it up and then clear coated it. Think it turned out pretty good. Hung it up in the bar at the legion until we have the auction.

Got our first new calf of the season this weekend. They should start rolling them out now.

Worked on the green house and got it all together. Mounted it on 4x4 posts that are anchored and leveled in concrete. Finished putting it together today.

Picked up my transmission Weds, so it's ready to go. Turbo should be in sometime this week after getting fixed with the right housing. Finished up my bedside mold today as well and got 3 coats of wax on it. Cut out all the material for the first bedside as well. Will get the PVA coats on it over the next couple of evenings and then hopefully mold the first bedside either Weds or Thursday.

Hooked up some of the fuel lines on the back of the truck and put my disconnect switch on the truck. Also put my regulator and isolator back on the firewall.

Now I've got some *****in to do... Had a stray dog show up at our place last Sunday, she was emanciated, looks to have just had pups not long ago, was a beautiful great dane. We usually have to drive off dogs that people dump out here, but she was gentle, and has attached herself to me and follows me everywhere here. Slowly getting some weight put on her. My grandaughter saw a picture of her and said Horse, so that's her name....

Old 02-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #1456
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Monday late afternoon I got the floor in the green house leveled out with dirt and then added 240 lbs of sand and leveled that out as well. Then I dumped 240 lbs of dry gravel mix concrete to the floor and dampened it to start it setting up. Since then we've had an inch of rain, freezing rain and sleet... over the last 2 days.

On the truck, I prepped the mold and got the layers of wax and pva on it and tuesday evening I molded the first bedside. Tonight after getting home from work, I pulled it from the mold and trimmed it down. Need to fix a few little imperfections in it, but overall it turned out really good I think. Need to decide if I leave it CF or if I paint it. I'm really leaning towards leaving the CF visible and making the end boxes out of CF and just painting them to tie them to the orange of the truck. Need to decide that here pretty quickly.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #1457
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Been pretty busy on the truck and around here. Molded the drivers side bed side and got all the holes drilled in both of them for mounting and the fenders. Also got the piece molded for the front of the bed. After popping it out of the mold, trimming it and then took some aluminum angle and drilled all the holes to tie the bedsides to the front. Also used aluminum angle to tie in the aluminum cross braces in the back. Got the bed completely mocked up tonight and torn back down. Now need to start prepping the parts for paint. Decided to just go ahead and paint the bedsides and front. May see about getting some stickers cut for my truck number and putting them on before I paint and then peal them off before I clear coat it so that the numbers are in raw carbon fiber.

Also got some free shelves put up in the green house, now I just need to get some seeds potted to start them.

Planted potatoes and onions out in the garden yesterday.

Going to the paint store tomorrow and getting some paint mixed up to paint the bedsides and the hood/grill once I get it build and together.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #1458
EnduringAtlas

Name: EnduringAtlas
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Those turned out awesome! I think it will look good with the rest of the bed painted although the carbon is still really cool. You'll be leaving the fenders raw i take it?

What are you using to cut the carbon fiber?

Old 02-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #1459
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yes the fenders will still be the raw carbon fiber.

Cutting it, for these straight lines I used my small air body saw. Worked great against a straight edge. I've also used a scroll saw and even a cut off wheel on my dremel or die grinder. It's pretty easy to cut.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #1460
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Just a couple things:
1) Is that greenhouse a kit? And if so, where did you get it from? I might need one.
2) For fastening the carbon fiber, you should either use compression limiters at 20% crush max (probably too expensive), or some sort of thread locker. I've used CF and plastics in an application like that before and it acts as a soft joint, even with big washers, and will likely loosen with vibration.

Looking awesome though. When does the season start?

Closed Thread