turbo replacement

skvette

I have a 2001, 3500 6 speed. Turbo is fine but looking to upgrade to something before any problems with stocker. Wondering what would be a good, economical upgrade from stock in a total work truck used for towing.

I went with a II PS62/65/14 on my 2002. Love it for towing. Spools a tad slower, but you could go with a 12 on the backside and probably be happy. $.02

Or go with a 63/68/12 or whatever it was that Glen with E.D. told me the other day might spool a tad quicker too.

(and I'm by no means an authority on turbos either, just givin' ya my experience with the II.)

If you are at stock fueling or have +1 upgrade (up to 100hp injectors or EZ box or similar) then the HE351 turbo off '04.5 to '07 is a nice ugprade (the non VGT one). Did that on my '01 and worked great with my 75hp injectors, it was a decent improvement over the stock turbo. Some info: HE351 Installed - BOMBER Board

pics [ame="http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/VMac822/My%20Trucks/Red%202001%20Ram/"]Red 2001 Ram pictures by VMac822 - Photobucket[/ame]

I'm running 62-65-14 as well with 110s and its not bad but I think I would go with 12 on the exhaust housing cause my truck is a welding truck and runs across the scales around 12k. Its a little lazy in town but by no means horrible. I've been wanting to try smaller exhaust housing but I would think it would be nice pulling.

thanks guys, think i might look into the factory non vgt from a 4.5-7. Just looking for a bit more, nothing crazy!

I ran a II 62/65/12 for years and loved it. Didn't get hot. Spoiled great but still gives you a little room to add power later if you want.

What he said! If I did it all over again I would go with 75s and ez with 62-65-12 and have a solid running truck that was pretty bullet proof towing.

all very good info, the turbo sounds enticing but I have to ask. If someone had $2,000 dollars how best should it be spent on the truck in question? Has a fass pump on it now and want to switch to 3.73.

I say HE351CW. They are 60/60/9. They are capable of making over 500hp (on a 3rd gen at least)-. I just bought one for my DD 2nd gen. If you don't have time or ability to makethe swap parts Diesel Auto Power has everything to make it a bolton swap.
Here's a link comparing it to a super B single.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2789569-post38.html

Back