Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #41
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Gov. Springs are money well spent.
Stock injectors right?...if so, why?
Your able to make boost numbers that makes the hx35 hate you. I'd say even a good set of even stock 215 injectors would bring the zest back.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #42
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle830 View Post
im thinking the cam lobe might be worn
The cam “lobe” isn’t really a lobe but an eccentric. Personally, I’ve never seen one worn bad enough to cause an issue like you describe. Maybe someone else has and will post up.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #43
kyle830

Name: kyle830
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Gov. Springs are money well spent.
Stock injectors right?...if so, why?
Your able to make boost numbers that makes the hx35 hate you. I'd say even a good set of even stock 215 injectors would bring the zest back.
i dont know if you'd call them good because theres 230,000 miles on them but It does have 215 injectors unless a previous owner swapped them out but i dont think they did. i am planning on getting a bigger turbo and will also get injectors. i have some dvs laying around but i havnt put them in because of how hard the hx35 is already being pushed.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #44
kyle830

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
The cam “lobe” isn’t really a lobe but an eccentric. Personally, I’ve never seen one worn bad enough to cause an issue like you describe. Maybe someone else has and will post up.
i had a feeling someone was going to say "its not a lobe" hahaha. i have read about most people never seeing it get worn out. the only threads ive read about it getting worn out is from people running it without a spacer between it and the block so like running it without the prefilter/heater bracket between it or on some industrial engines where they are set up different without the bracket so it needs a spacer and they either forgot the spacer or didnt know it needed a spacer. i still dont want to believe mine is worn but its the something i havnt checked so im not ruling it out.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #45
kyle830

Member`s Gallery
im interested to see what my fuel pressure numbers will be once i get the gov springs installed and the pump will be pumping faster. because im already pushing the hx35 way out of its range wont the gov springs make that worse and harder on the turbo because of higher rpms? i will be getting a turbo eventually but in the mean time i feel like the hx35 is a ticking time bomb. between 16 degrees of timing and 45-50 psi out of that turbo wont my cylinder pressures be kinda high? enough to blow the stock head gasket with stock bolts that havnt been retorqued? studs are coming but after reading other threads im thinking ive been pushing it to its max

Old 08-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #46
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
The HX35 is soon to be junk. Count on it. Replace it.
I wouldn't feel comfortable just installing head studs. Pull the head, o-ring it, and either run new head bolts, or studs. Studs are not the answer to head gasket failure. O-rings are.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #47
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable just installing head studs. Pull the head, o-ring it, and either run new head bolts, or studs. Studs are not the answer to head gasket failure. O-rings are.
x2 Jasonc has ran multiple 9 sec 1/4 mile passes with stock overtorqued head bolts and orings..in a 4x4 truck..makes me feel foolish for buying studs.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #48
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
x2 Jasonc has ran multiple 9 sec 1/4 mile passes with stock overtorqued head bolts and orings..in a 4x4 truck..makes me feel foolish for buying studs.
Like I said before, if the customer is taking my recommendation, we use bolts, if they want studs, we do that. I don't argue the point because once you step over the line from stock to modified, all bets are off. The one thing I will argue and refuse to do is installing studs without pulling the head.
That process of replacing one bolt at a time with studs is a step backwards.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #49
Downtownbrown

Name: Downtownbrown
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Studs are not the answer to head gasket failure. O-rings are.
Everytime i tell this to someone they dont believe me sadly... fastenal headbolts and o rings have done me plenty good at 800+hp.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #50
kyle830

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The original plan was to get it o ringed and then after reading other forums i thought just studs would be fine but the guys that say studs one at a time are fine also seem to not have much experience when it comes to making big numbers. im not planning on making giant numbers im on this forum because i wanted to hear what people had to say about my fuel pressure and other forums either seem dead or guys are quick to not wanting to help. guys on here are more helpful and willing to respond. with that said this truck is a daily driver and will pull my bass boat but i dont want it to be super slow so if o rings is whats needed for even a mild truck to prevent gasket failure then ill be getting o rings.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #51
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Just run it and if the head gasket blows so be it, doesn't hurt anything unless you just keep driving it.

Yes there is the chance that oil could get in the coolant and make a big mess you'll have to clean out, but most of the time you'll just notice a coolant leak. Other words don't worry about it.

I've ran compounds and timing over 20* on just retorqued bolts and never had a problem. Drove the truck for yrs that way. The kid I sold it to kicked the head gasket in a couple days. Had it O-ringed and used the Allen head bolts and was back at it.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #52
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Just noticed, your still running stock gov springs?

Old 08-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #53
kyle830

Member`s Gallery
still running stock gov springs. 4ks, valve springs, locks and retainers are in the mail. will there be an issue with the stock push rods? i see some guys putting in new pushrods when they do 60lb springs but i thought thats not necessary

Old 08-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #54
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Be a good idea but not neccessary.
Hold off for down the road.

Closed Thread