electric water pump

EPA Violator

CR Wrencher
Hey, I just bought a truck off a guy, he just put electric fans and electric water pump on it. since the install the batteries aren't charging and the pulley on the alternator gets super hot. I just got truck home and havent' got into it yet but I'm thinking the belt may not be routed correctly. Can somebody give me a resource for routing the belt on a 08 6.7 with AC. thanks

Well, you didn’t tell us all that... You may be on your own with that one.

On a side note, I’ve not found the electric water pumps to be very dependable. They’re fine on a puller or a race truck that runs a few minutes at a time, but they don’t hold up under every day driving. Just my $.02

I'm curious about how your current belt is routed? It sounds like too little wrap on the alt, vs too much rms load

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

the belt is routed like factory routing except the water pump is gone and theres a billet pulley instead of the fan pulley and there is also a fleece dual cp3 kit on it that has two pulleys. I did some looking tonight, the belt on the truck is older, definitely not new. He said he put the electric water pump and fans on 100 miles ago. when I went to loosen the tensioner it had very little tension on the belt. What he has done is remove the water pump, replace fan with electric fans and a billet pulley and not change the belt. So the belt is too short, squeaks and slips on the alternator heating up the pulley and it doesn't charge the system. I also let it run a little and it's definitely the pulley getting hot not the alternator case. I measured the existing belt to be 125.5 in. I tried a 122.3 in belt that was a little to short. I'm gonna order a 124 tomorrow. I think this is what the poor ole feller did. what yall think?

Back