Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #21
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
This is completely incorrect. Even in the OEM stock gears the front is always faster then the rear. If it wasn't then when in 4wd the rear would try to push the front binding the tcase. With the front being faster it pulls the rear along. in pulling we run a faster gear in the front sometimes. Since the back is doing 75% of the work you over drive the front to get more traction from the front end. If the front and rear are close to the same then you only get the same speed out of the front as the rear. By over driving it you are essentially getting more cleat on the ground per foot traveled which would be a greater pulling force to help the rear keep the truck moving. I ran a 36" tire on the front and a 35" on the back will do the same thing. You can safely over drive the front 7%. Some do more but much more then that gets sketchy

With a 44 in back and 35 up front the 4.9 at back and 3.8 ratio holds the same driveline rpm , while the tires are at the same speed at the that diameter.

If you put 44 back and 35 front and run 4.9 back and 4.9 front you are tripping over yourself as the back tire is faster than the the front from it's height, so you need the 4.9 ratio rear and 3.9 ratio front to keep them at the same speed.

If you run the same size tires and run 4.9 and 4.5 then you would or should have less stability, take 2 rear wheel drive vehicles, the front one is spinning it's tires and it is swaying back and fourth because it can't over come the rear that is set and moving slower.

They are both doing the same work, one end is seeing or dragging more weight, that shift from drag pulls the back in and transfers more weight to it unloading the front, but they do the same work as in speed, or you want them to do the same.

As you get further the weight comes on and forces the truck to transfer to the back, you would want lots of weight up front and spring and tire.

But if the vehicle is now sliding along at 20 mph and the rear tires are spinning at 60 mph and the front at 70mph on the same plane then they fight eachother for traction, and as traction comes on braking starts or you'll lose traction.
My idea is you want to get going fast, having say 35 and 35 tires and 4.8 rear and 4.1 front ratio is either binding or breaking traction and forcing wheel spin.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #22
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Im not going to argue with you but this has been done for way longer then you have been thinking about it. It works regardless of what reasoning you have. this isn't mud racing where you run a big tire in the back and small one in the front. It doesnt break or bind anything as long as your with in 7-10%

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
ClamDigger4

Name: ClamDigger4
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
With a 44 in back and 35 up front the 4.9 at back and 3.8 ratio holds the same driveline rpm , while the tires are at the same speed at the that diameter.

If you put 44 back and 35 front and run 4.9 back and 4.9 front you are tripping over yourself as the back tire is faster than the the front from it's height, so you need the 4.9 ratio rear and 3.9 ratio front to keep them at the same speed.

If you run the same size tires and run 4.9 and 4.5 then you would or should have less stability, take 2 rear wheel drive vehicles, the front one is spinning it's tires and it is swaying back and fourth because it can't over come the rear that is set and moving slower.

They are both doing the same work, one end is seeing or dragging more weight, that shift from drag pulls the back in and transfers more weight to it unloading the front, but they do the same work as in speed, or you want them to do the same.

As you get further the weight comes on and forces the truck to transfer to the back, you would want lots of weight up front and spring and tire.

But if the vehicle is now sliding along at 20 mph and the rear tires are spinning at 60 mph and the front at 70mph on the same plane then they fight eachother for traction, and as traction comes on braking starts or you'll lose traction.
My idea is you want to get going fast, having say 35 and 35 tires and 4.8 rear and 4.1 front ratio is either binding or breaking traction and forcing wheel spin.
Your numbers are so far off for this situation. It's not even close to the subject at hand. So many pullers with 44" tires and 70mph wheel speed!

phone

Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #24
1pieceatatime.

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I can fully appreciate this debate/argument. Mainly because I can see it taking place in my workplace with my old man and older cousin telling me that what has been highly successful for so many people is going break stuff and/or not work.

With the old rule of thumb being 10% difference is acceptable when specing a truck, Its hard for me to believe it could be as potentially detrimental as Marty believes.

I'll be honest, the only thing that has stopped me from trying this with my workstock puller is the fact that I'd still like to give the Drag Strip a whirl.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #25
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
4.56 in front, 4.63 in rear, 35" tire in front, 33" tire in back. Full season on it, no issues, and a few of those were some extremely tight tracks. I would be replacing the tcase chain every few years if I continued to do that.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
Rustin

Name: Rustin
Title: Let the Beatings Begin!
Member`s Gallery
I'm taking notes. This is great!

Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #27
JerrodGlover

Name: JerrodGlover
Title: Pulling God
Member`s Gallery
I ran the same size tire front and rear and 4.88 front and 5.13 rear gears. Only problem with it was 5.13's dont live in an 80 with 4 tires on it.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #28
6.4 F-350

Name: 6.4 F-350
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrodGlover View Post
I ran the same size tire front and rear and 4.88 front and 5.13 rear gears. Only problem with it was 5.13's dont live in an 80 with 4 tires on it.
Do 4.88's have much longer of a life span to speak of in a 80?

2008 F-350 Sold
Spartan AFE
1998 Dodge someday pullin truck

Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #29
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamDigger4 View Post
Your numbers are so far off for this situation. It's not even close to the subject at hand. So many pullers with 44" tires and 70mph wheel speed!

phone
if we can't discuss something and understand the use of numbers in general why have these posts.

just carry on with the same old same old

Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #30
ClamDigger4

Name: ClamDigger4
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
if we can't discuss something and understand the use of numbers in general why have these posts.

I can give you numbers all day. That doesn't mean they apply to the situation...

If your slowest wheel speed (lower gear) is always faster than your ground speed How can anything be effected negatively?

phone

Last edited by ClamDigger4; 03-11-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #31
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
I can fully appreciate this debate/argument. Mainly because I can see it taking place in my workplace with my old man and older cousin telling me that what has been highly successful for so many people is going break stuff and/or not work.

With the old rule of thumb being 10% difference is acceptable when specing a truck, Its hard for me to believe it could be as potentially detrimental as Marty believes.

I'll be honest, the only thing that has stopped me from trying this with my workstock puller is the fact that I'd still like to give the Drag Strip a whirl.
Im not saying detrimental, and yes a 10% difference on dirt isn't going to hurt anything, but if you could plant the tires and drag the weight you'll be working against yourself.
If running a 38 and 35 i would run the ratios to keep them with eachother which would be 3.9 and 3.7
If running 35 and 35 running 4.8 and 5.1 we have a 200 rpm diff which isn't helping if you can plant it.
My thinking is, and i don't follow the rules so excuse me if you can't but i wouldn't want tires that small in diameter.
Having watched TP'ing i see some trucks in some of the same classes use different sizes and widths, which i see as a benefit.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #32
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

We are discussing it. Your numbers have nothing to do with sled pulling. Nobody runs a huge tire out back and a small tire in the front and try and get a gear to make them equal. What we do though is run a faster gear in the front or bigger tire in the front and it works. I don't know what kind of back ground you have in motorsports but it does work and has been proven numerous times. They were doing this back in the 80's with cut tires and alky engines. This is nothing new.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #33
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Im not saying detrimental, and yes a 10% difference on dirt isn't going to hurt anything, but if you could plant the tires and drag the weight you'll be working against yourself.
If running a 38 and 35 i would run the ratios to keep them with eachother which would be 3.9 and 3.7
If running 35 and 35 running 4.8 and 5.1 we have a 200 rpm diff which isn't helping if you can plant it.
My thinking is, and i don't follow the rules so excuse me if you can't but i wouldn't want tires that small in diameter.
Having watched TP'ing i see some trucks in some of the same classes use different sizes and widths, which i see as a benefit.

35" is the max tire in almost every class except your local stuff

Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #34
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamDigger4 View Post
I can give you numbers all day. That doesn't mean they apply to the situation...

If your slowest wheel speed (lower gear) is always faster than your ground speed How can anything be effected negatively?

phone
Speed is a factor though dragging a increasing weight, you would want to get to speed as quickly as possible, before you have to resort to wheel speed.

Having a set up where you can cause one to over run the other will cause a traction issue and make wheel spin, which at one point is inevitable, but it is kind of forcing it to happen right off the start.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #35
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Speed is a factor though dragging a increasing weight, you would want to get to speed as quickly as possible, before you have to resort to wheel speed.

Having a set up where you can cause one to over run the other will cause a traction issue and make wheel spin, which at one point is inevitable, but it is kind of forcing it to happen right off the start.
Ummm, you obviously have not watched many pulls. These trucks don't go cleat for cleat down the track. When I leave the line at 5k+ the tires are turning over 40mph. The street tires work off friction

Last edited by DISTURBED; 03-11-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #36
Nootch

Name: Nootch
Title: nosprkreqrd
Member`s Gallery
Got to aggree with Distrubed. Been watching pulls since the mid 80's and they always spun right off the bat in the 4wd class. or at the very least within the first 30 feet.

Spark plugs are for those who can't handle the pressure

Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #37
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

But you can't plant the tires like that.....Even on the stickiest axle twisting track out there.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #38
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Couldn't it be causing it not to plant though.

I wouldn't pull onto pavement with 36 and 35 tire as it wouldn't work, but on dirt the tire with more will just overcome the other end and make it slip along, which technically would hinder any planting effect that could be made

Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #39
Nootch

Name: Nootch
Title: nosprkreqrd
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I wouldn't pull onto pavement with 36 and 35 tire as it wouldn't work, but on dirt the tire with more will just overcome the other end and make it slip along, which technically would hinder any planting effect that could be made
while that is technically true for a low speed situation where you are working with the sheer factor of the dirt, and thus spinning the front faster than the rear would reduce the friction as you would have passed the sheer point of the dirt.

But the dynamics of sled pulling is different than this. you are not only using the sheer of the dirt, but you are using the resistance to throw it back (equal and opposite direction law) and the dirt loosed up and flung back if i remember correctly gives a fluff layer of marbles that some believe helps the sled along to a certain degree.

while maximum traction is obtained before slip on the road, it is not the case in the dirt.

Spark plugs are for those who can't handle the pressure

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #40
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

You're not on pavement....... IF you plant the tires on a pulling track as hard as you would on pavement, you're not going to go very far.............. Unless the truck has the power and traction to drag the boat from a stand still with the weightbox at the end fully on the pan.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Closed Thread