My alien blood milkshake adventure

Kronic_187

Mekanical injection junky
truck was runnin like crap, discovered timing was at approx 12*, got it reset to 19.5*, went for a good hard boot and notice my boost gauge flutter a bit from 60psi down to 45, then climb back up to 50 and hold. didnt think too much of it, got home parked it. the nect evening i drove 20 mins down the road to grab some wendys. while waitin on a red light on the way home i noticed my oil light come on for a for a few seconds then go off, thought o fuck. drove like an old lady home and parked it. next day i went out and popped hood, noticed grey spunk on my catch can vent. pulled dipstick, spooge, popped rad cap more spooge. ive popped a few head gaskets (other 12v's), always external leaks, never had alien blood before.

long story short, got a new PDD stage 1 towing port head, a new PAI oil cooler. flushed the oil system woth diesel an fresh oil before i ripped it apart, didnt flush cooling system prior to pulling.

after a month of waitin on parts and dickery, got it running today. rad has water in it with a bottle of rad flush, new oil with new filter. prior to starting it i filled rad with water and plugged it in, let it heat up for 12hrs before doing a retorque and setting the valves. used assembly lube on the pushrods and rocker arms / pedestals, set the valves. Timing was reset to 17.5 till i get the head seated.

Head has o-rings, ARP 625's, Genuine Cummins +.010 gasket

block was bored .040 over, decked .010 and rebuilt 1800hrs ago. previous head hadnt been touched in a decade, no o-rings and haisley L19 studs.

Fired it up after cranking the starter a bit till i saw oil pressure. no suprises, set the idle at 1250rpm and let it warm up till the t stat opened. noticed i got a bit of watery steam coming outta my catch can vent (billet tappet cover with 2x -10AN fittings to a morosso can) went for a quick 20 min drive. seems like everytime to t-stat opens it smokes a grey-white haze for about 45 seconds then cleans up and goes away.

at this point, its not burnin coolant, oil level didnt change, looks nice and clean.

im assuming its the grease in the valve guides burning off in the new head?

residual spooge in the system cooking off?

not too sure what to think as of right now, gonna drain some oul in the am and see how it looks.

there is scooge in the rad but i never flushed the colling system prior to assembly, not worried will flush it again.

the smoke does bother me though

any ideas boys?

maybe a got a frost plug under the tappet cover leakin?

left it plugged in all night, did another torque.

went for a good 3hr drive up logging roads nearby, got it good and hot, burnt all the shit out of it. nomore blowby, oil looks good, stopped smoking.

Sleepless night lastnight trying to figure out wtf i missed or messed up putting it together.

Woke up and said fuckit, if shes going to blow it might as well be working

Back