timing cover leak 12 valve

gwhammy

I put this here just because it's in an excavator. I've got a rotary pump 12 valve that's leaking real bad between the timing cover and block as best as I can tell. If by chance it has just come loose is there anyway to fix it without pulling the cam. It's leaking right behind the pump as best as I can tell. I'm guessing the timing cover is cracked but hopefully not.

A buddy and I just did this to my truck a few weeks ago. If you’re going to remove the gear housing you either have to pull the cam or pull the gear off the cam.

The cam gear removal tool we use requires that you slide the cam forward enough to install the puller, so it's damn near like doing all the work to remove the cam, minus pulling the radiator. Installing the cam gear with the cam in the engine is a pain in the ass to boot. So, if it's a major undertaking to remove the radiator from the excavator, it might be worth looking into. Otherwise, I'd recommend just getting the radiator out of the way.

If you can find the crack, and get it really clean, there's always epoxy. I don't adivse that as you'll eventually need to fix it right. The housing could be cracked due to several reasons. Among those, the most likely are
-Loose bolts in gear housing
-Dowell pin came out
-Air compressor/hyd. pump came loose and stressed the housing.

I'd just bite the bullet and tear it apart.

It's leaking about the same place the last one I replaced. I'm thinking cracked as much oil as it's loosing. Not to bad of a job big oil cooler radiator and air conditioner condenser. Actually has decent room beside the pump but it is kind of down in a hole. Good flat area to lay on doing all that thou. All it has is the injection pump on the cover. I'm going to fix it right, plan on this machine lasting me out.

Last edited:
Tappet cover on side of motor really hard to see and it was leaking at the front behind the injection pump. Lucked out on this one.

Back