Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #1021
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakeDiesel View Post
Think i messed up the converter with the other problems I had.
That sucks! Running WOT without being locked makes the trans fluid get hot in a hurry. It seems like when you get past 220F, things start to slip (from my experience). Do you have a probe in the trans pan?

Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #1022
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
No, I don't have one in there yet, it's on my list of next sensors to buy for the data logger, but I have to buy a node and 4 sensors to add to it at a time, so plan on getting Trans pressure, Trans Temp, EGT and either back pressure on Exhaust manifold or a temp sensor post intercooler. I want to measure temps before and after the intercooler, so may do the back pressure first and then both temps together on a second node when I can afford it.

I still have my pressure gauge hooked up to the transmission, and can see it on my go pro videos to see how the pressures are. They are where they should be now.

Just got off the phone with Phil at DPC and going to rush him my converter after the race this weekend and try to get it turned around before the last race of the season on the Oct 15th and see if I can go out with a bang. Also going to have him loosen up the converter more while he is into it.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 09-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #1023
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Is it a V10/V10 converter or still diesel with modified stator etc?
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #1024
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Couldn't answer that, I told Phil all my info and what I was doing and he built the converter for me. Don't know what's on the inside of it.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 09-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #1025
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Ask him. It may help you get through the pit. If you have a V10/V10 and are running it non locked up, they don't pull for chit. You'll want to be locked up after your launch to transfer your power other wise it's just going to build heat and not really go anywhere fast. He definitely can get it set up how you need it if you let him know what's going on.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #1026
Mulboost

Name: Mulboost
Title: Transmission Builder
Member`s Gallery
Hey Coaltrain! Its about time I got on board CompD, and thanks for the shoutout on our valve body, we do appreciate that!
(302) 276 2882
muldoonsdiesel.com

Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #1027
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
No problem, really appreciated how quickly you were able to build it, test it and ship it out to me.

Raced this weekend, ended up going to Iola, Ks at Wide Open Speed Part since with all the rain, our org's race was cancelled. Ran 3 classes, a Cut tire class 6, a 40" tire class 5 and a 38.5" tire class 4b. Didn't get in the money for classes 6 and 4b but did place 3rd in the 40" tire class. I was able to get the turbo to 40psi before I launched all 3 runs, so I don't think I will get it restalled when phil fixes the lockup mechanism.

Class 6 cut tire run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD3_5bqIB1Y

Class 5 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GImb6mUlkrk

Class 4b run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKp_VBsjbkw

I only got run data on my first pass. I must has shut the power off too soon on the 2nd run and had to steel the fuse for the Data Logger on my 3rd run when I popped the run circuit trying to start the truck with a low battery.

Just shifted to 2nd gear on this run, slippage at the end of the run was around 43% at the end of the pass. The run took 4.7 seconds, my 2nd run with Dot tires was 5.1 seconds in 2nd gear and my 3rd pass I went to 2nd gear using the same dot tires as my second pass and ran a 5.0. Fuel pressure looks great and is hanging in where I've been wanting it running the dual Air Dog's and dual feeding the injection pump. Boost topped out at 55psi

Click the image to open in full size.

Think my next performance upgrade is going to be getting more fuel from the injection pump and sending it off to Seth to have it turned into a 13mm p pump. Just need to figure out how to pay for it.

Truck is really starting to get squat in the back and lift in the front on launches, just need to get some weight shifted to the back more. Really starting to think about either moving the front axle forward 6" or moving the engine and body back. Not sure my wife is ready for me to jump on that task yet out in the shop after the transmission ordeal this summer.

The Crowd loved the truck, sold a few T shirts at the race and after my last run, a couple of little kids came running up with their T shirts wanting me to sign them.

I do have quite a few T shirts left for sale, they can be bought online if you want one, I use paypal to process cards or will ship them out via USPS priority if you are interested in one.
http://www.johnniebrown.com/for-sale...oducts-listing

Funny thing, on the way to the race, we stopped at a little road side station for a bathroom break and to fill up my tow rig since I forgot to top the tank off before we left and in whips this semi onto the side of the road. This big black guy jumps out and starts looking at the truck, told me it was awesome and then jumps back in his semi and takes off. We get all kinds of reactions pulling the truck to and from the races from other motorists....

Washed the truck yesterday mid day after getting it unloaded and then pulled it into the shop last night after getting home from watching Sully with the wife. I don't think I would ever want to travel with Tom Hanks... Just saying. My son and I whipped the transmission out in under 2 hours and the converter is sitting on the bench. Need to suck the fluid out of it and then get it boxed up and shipped out to Phil today.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #1028
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Not much been going on since my last race, talked to Phil today and he has my converter back together, it has been fried. No clutch material left. He upgraded it for the higher pressures and it is on it's way back here. Need to put the trans on the stand in the next few days and pop forward and direct out so I can check them and see how they fared.

Received copies of the CP-Carrillo diesel flyer they put together with my truck on the cover, so much awesomeness.

While I'm twiddling my thumbs, started laying out my small welding cart for the farm.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #1029
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Thinking of modifications to the truck for next season... and looking at moving to a 13mm P/B p pump. Are the aftermarket p pump cam's worth it? Who else besides Hamilton makes one? Who's is better?

I already have a 5k gsk in the pump and am running SDX Comp DV's, would there be any benefits moving to full cuts?

Are larger DV holders needed or larger lines or are those just marketing gimmicks?

Old 09-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #1030
badbowtie

Name: badbowtie
Title: custom engine daydreamer
Member`s Gallery
If I was contemplating a 13mm pump I would call Seth Farrell and Kevin at Northeast Diesel and talk to them both. I don't think you will find 2 people who know more about building one. Should give you enough good info to decide what route to go down.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #1031
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I've talked to Seth, just wanted other opinions on the cam, DV holders and lines.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #1032
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I'm guessing no one on here has any opinions on pump modifications like the cam options, larger DV holders and larger lines.

Got the converter back from Phil on Thursday night, been tied up at the hospital with the mother in law in the hear hospital getting checked out, so I've been slow on working on the truck. But tonight, I was able to wash the outside of the trans and break it down enough to pull the front section out and check the clutches. Glad I did, the modified plate on direct to allow more clutches was broke, all ears but one.

The clutches on the other hand looked great for both forward and reverse.

Will call WIT tomorrow and get another plate and put the trans back together for the last race of the season.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #1033
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I can't believe all the ears broke but one. Hanging on by a thread!

Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #1034
mathews8pt

Name: mathews8pt
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Never seen one do that before. Curious how thick was the plate where it rides on the snap ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #1035
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Good catch on that one! I hope your mother in law gets better soon!

Old 10-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #1036
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
She's doing good, they had to put 3 stents in and will hopefully come home today.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised the plate broke. Picked up the 9.00 worth of parts, new pressure plate, couple of gaskets and a new filter yesterday.

Measured the new plate vs the broken plate. New measures .116", broken measures .113" so basically 3 thou difference.

Gotta put another wheel bearing assembly on my dually tonight, change the oil and rotate the tires, so will hopefully be putting the trans back together tomorrow night and then get it back in the truck.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #1037
mathews8pt

Name: mathews8pt
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Are you using a pressure plate out of the forward drum in direct for the added clutch?

I always have the factory pressure plate from direct machined to about .140 and am able to fit 5 .085 clutches and steels in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #1038
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
yes, it was a machined pressure plate out of a forward drum.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #1039
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Finally got around to putting the transmission back together this evening. Planning on putting it into the truck tomorrow morning if things go as planned....

Getting closer to having my little welding trailer built. Think I have everything welded on it now, just need to clean it up, then start prepping it for POR 15 coating.

My son practicing

Turbo came out to see me while working on stuff out in the shop... She's ready to start getting dirty out there.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #1040
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Finished up installing the transmission tonight by putting the blanket on, zip tying some wires up and filling it up with fluid. Truck moves forward and backward.... always a good sign. Have some custom delivery valves and holders showing up tomorrow to slip into and try out this weekend.

Got the trailer flipped up and washed and metal prepped it last night and tonight applied a coat of por 15 on it.

Washed and metal prepped, waiting for it to dry out.

Dryed after metal prep

Coated in Por 15

Closed Thread