Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Anyone know anything about phoenix friction brake pads?

Saw them on another forum, supposed to be very good quality, and they're made in the US.

http://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-343...2500-3500.aspx

Also, is there a preferred rotor and caliper setup? Mine are getting due for a change, they're the ones that were on the truck when I bought it

Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Haven't heard of them...

I have used and like Baer Brakes pads and rotors great stuff in stock replacement or upgrade sizes but I don't think they offer upgrade sizes for Diesel Trucks yet, EBC pads and rotors good variety of compounds and rotors available and quality products and Stop Tech knowlegdeable guys and good parts but I don't think they do any diesel truck stuff yet either...

Wilwood makes replacement and upgrade brakes for us and they are good products, just be sure to use their street stuff that comes with the dust seals and such not race parts that do not...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Haven't heard of them...

I have used and like Baer Brakes pads and rotors great stuff in stock replacement or upgrade sizes but I don't think they offer upgrade sizes for Diesel Trucks yet, EBC pads and rotors good variety of compounds and rotors available and quality products and Stop Tech knowlegdeable guys and good parts but I don't think they do any diesel truck stuff yet either...

Wilwood makes replacement and upgrade brakes for us and they are good products, just be sure to use their street stuff that comes with the dust seals and such not race parts that do not...
I'll probably look into baer then.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeismad View Post
I'll probably look into baer then.
I have the Baer pads and rotors on my Duramax and like them, I'm using them with refurbished NAPA calipers. I have the EBC pads and rotors on the VW Jetta TDI using Porsche Boxster calipers up front with stock calipers in the rear and it is honestly one of the best braking vehicles I have ever driven!!!

I don't think you would go wrong with either brand!!!

Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com

Old 07-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I have the Baer pads and rotors on my Duramax and like them, I'm using them with refurbished NAPA calipers. I have the EBC pads and rotors on the VW Jetta TDI using Porsche Boxster calipers up front with stock calipers in the rear and it is honestly one of the best braking vehicles I have ever driven!!!

I don't think you would go wrong with either brand!!!
vw's just stop awesome anyways lol

I know you can get ebc locally, so that may be the route I take. Baer's site didn't list anything for 2nd gen's either.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
vw's just stop awesome anyways lol

I know you can get ebc locally, so that may be the route I take. Baer's site didn't list anything for 2nd gen's either.
The TDI stopped decent before the upgrade, but it was a night and day HUGE improvement with the upgrade!!!! It really is one of the best stopping vehicles I have ever driven!!! Anyone that drives it is floored by how well it stops and says something about being thrown into the windshield when they come back!!!

EBC makes their own pads and rotors so they have good QC and good products!

tobinemail@aol.com

Old 07-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Shainer

Name: Shainer
Member`s Gallery
I've run Hawk and EBC on my Jetta TDI. Both were a significant improvement. I wasn't even looking for the improvement, just needed to replace the pads and as with all things I check to see what was out there. I think Hawk is a US manufacture, but that could have changed.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
I've heard good things about the Hawk pads, but I have not run them myself... I think the EBCs are made in England, but I could be wrong...

tobinemail@aol.com

Old 07-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've heard good things about the Hawk pads, but I have not run them myself... I think the EBCs are made in England, but I could be wrong...
I'm ok with England. I've seen both at oreillys. But I'll get whatevers cheaper lol

Old 07-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Shainer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm ok with England. I've seen both at oreillys. But I'll get whatevers cheaper lol
They are priced very similar. I think Hawk was just a tick better, but not a huge difference.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainer View Post
They are priced very similar. I think Hawk was just a tick better, but not a huge difference.
Which makes more dust?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #12
Shainer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Which makes more dust?
Neither one dusted much at all. Which reminds me of why I didn't get the Hawks again. They tended to be noisier. Got tired of hearing a squeak every time I touched the brakes. Didn't seem to mater what I did with the install they just liked to make noise, and Hawk said they could be that way.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
A lot of high performance pads can be noisy... The EBCs on the Jetta and the Baer's on my Tahoe and Silverado are not... As far as dust, it is a byproduct of braking, the pads wear down. One of the high end manufacturers I was speaking with at SEMA one year said something to the effect that they can make a dustless pad, but it would also be a stopless pad!!!

tobinemail@aol.com

Old 07-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
A lot of high performance pads can be noisy... The EBCs on the Jetta and the Baer's on my Tahoe and Silverado are not... As far as dust, it is a byproduct of braking, the pads wear down. One of the high end manufacturers I was speaking with at SEMA one year said something to the effect that they can make a dustless pad, but it would also be a stopless pad!!!
While that's true, the pads on the truck now have been on there for at least 6 years/100k miles under me, plus however many with the previous owner, and I've never noticed any dust whatsoever from them. Plus I found out on accident that they will lock up the wheels, so they have stopping power. But it's a different story with the trailer lol, if the trailer brakes are bad/not working, the truck has a bit of work stopping anything over 8k.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Shainer

Member`s Gallery
Pads I used were one series below full race pads. Race pads will dust, and generally suck on the street until you get some heat in them. Even the pads I used were a little weaker for the first few applications, man did they resist fading when hot.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
homewrecker

Name: homewrecker
Title: gear jammer
Member`s Gallery
I have been overly impressed with the Autozone severe duty pads. Around $50 per axle, excellent braking towing, and free lifetime replacement. Been running these on both my 2nd gen work trucks for a few years now. Every day grossing close to 20k lbs Every large auto parts chain brakes before these sucked including ceramic and performance friction. Just put them on my 3rd gen and it was a drastic improvement over the ceramic pads I was running. Point is you don't necessarily need expensive performance pads to get the job done.

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
FI 63/68/.91 ETR-HO S480/92/1.25
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 07-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #17
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
I have been overly impressed with the Autozone severe duty pads. Around $50 per axle, excellent braking towing, and free lifetime replacement. Been running these on both my 2nd gen work trucks for a few years now. Every day grossing close to 20k lbs Every large auto parts chain brakes before these sucked including ceramic and performance friction. Just put them on my 3rd gen and it was a drastic improvement over the ceramic pads I was running. Point is you don't necessarily need expensive performance pads to get the job done.
Wow that's awesome. I'll look into them. Maybe that's whats on the truck now. They've lasted a very long time, and I've overheated them a few times along with the regular loads they have to stop.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #18
homewrecker

Name: homewrecker
Title: gear jammer
Member`s Gallery
Im fairly certain the severe duties have been renamed Gold Max

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
FI 63/68/.91 ETR-HO S480/92/1.25
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #19