Rebuild???

'Powerstroke7.3

Hearing Impaired
I was quoting some work the other day and just out of curiosity I asked what a motor rebuild would cost. They said about 10,000..... :umno: FOR WHAT. The only thing that I could guess is that they would replace alot of parts no matter what the condition. Turbo, pumps, things of that nature. What do you guys think? Is that a normal price. If so I think I might be selling a dodge. Its not that I dont have the capacity to do it. I have about 8000 dollars worth of tools but no place or time to do something like this. Thanks guys

Daniel

I was quoting some work the other day and just out of curiosity I asked what a motor rebuild would cost. They said about 10,000..... :umno: FOR WHAT. The only thing that I could guess is that they would replace alot of parts no matter what the condition. Turbo, pumps, things of that nature. What do you guys think? Is that a normal price. If so I think I might be selling a dodge. Its not that I dont have the capacity to do it. I have about 8000 dollars worth of tools but no place or time to do something like this. Thanks guys

Daniel

That won't be including turbos, pumps, etc.. 10K sounds a bit high but that's what your looking at. Replacing all the internals is the norm as far as i see it. Turn the crank if it's good, keep rods if good, but pistons from cummins are just over 2K alone. When I did mine my builder quoted me 7K for the leasure of driving my truck in, then out when he was done. Problem there is he had never built a diesel. No I had never built a diesel either, but I figured for 7K I could do some learning. His quote was all cummins replacement parts, turn crank, save cam and rods.
I used Mahle pistons, bought a Maxspool 2, new head, 12mm studs, and a few other goodies, doing all the labor myself (machine shop did they're part of course for about $600) I came in just under $6500. Of that some expense was tools I didn't previously own.
Just my $.02, if you can, do it yourself. Otherwise 10K gets you convenience and a warranty.. :Cheer:

Brad

I rebuilt mine about a year ago and if I wasn't adding some performance parts it would have been very reasonable.

Aftermarket gasket kit minus headgasket $150
Cummins headgasket $90
Mahle pistons $350
Bearings $125
Machine work $300 Just need to be honed and he checked on the bores.
so about $1000.
add another $500 for misc and you can get buy fairley cheap.
This is counting on no damage parts like crank, cam, head etc.
FWIW.

Well the rig runs fine. It just leaks alot of oil and tranny fluid coming from somewhere. I quoted out the front cover and the oil pan reseeal the other day and they said they wanted 10 labor hours which with parts came out to about 950 bucks. Thats rediculous. What sucks even more is that I am pretty sure out of the 8000 dollars worth of tools I have I would have everything but a place to do all of this. Oh and lets not forget that I am not a diesel mechanic. Im sure I could figure out the motor though. Cant be any harder than a Gulfstream jet. :ugh:

I have never rebuilt a full motor until this one and with the cummins manual it was a lot easier than I expected.

Back