u-joints at 700+hp

JasonCzerak

i'm closing in on 700hp. My u-joints are about 2-3 years old now. first set of aftermarket joints. The biggest "sledpulling tested" precisions joints you can get in the shafts. I forget the numbers, but I can find that out on TDR if I need to. The last 2 times the trans has been out the guy tells me the joint at the each axle is tight. They are a little tight, but not to much. They do seem to need and extra squirt of grease then the others.

So I'm thinking about a driveshaft u-joint project this spring.

What is use among the high speed and high hp folks?

What about balancing the two piece shaft? where do I find shops that do that?

i'm closing in on 700hp. My u-joints are about 2-3 years old now. first set of aftermarket joints. The biggest "sledpulling tested" precisions joints you can get in the shafts. I forget the numbers, but I can find that out on TDR if I need to. The last 2 times the trans has been out the guy tells me the joint at the each axle is tight. They are a little tight, but not to much. They do seem to need and extra squirt of grease then the others.

So I'm thinking about a driveshaft u-joint project this spring.

What is use among the high speed and high hp folks?

What about balancing the two piece shaft? where do I find shops that do that?

Bump? anyone?

I have replaced all of mine on the truck. The only ones I could find at the time were oem, but I would also like some info on something bigger. I am building a motor right now and hope to end up around 800hp so I think something will be needed. I have thought about having new shafts built that will accept a larger u-joint. The machine shop that is doing the work on my motor also had a drive line shop and he says he can balance to within 2 grams, I don't knopw if that is for a 2 piece shaft or not but i wil ask. When I changed the ones at the axle ends on mine they were all but broken in half.

Jason, since you have the 271(or 273 if its pushbutton) Transfercase, the joint at you TC is a 1480 due to the yoke size... thats the size all the "high hp" go to... Not sure about your other joints, but the 1480 is the size you want.

Jason, since you have the 271(or 273 if its pushbutton) Transfercase, the joint at you TC is a 1480 due to the yoke size... thats the size all the "high hp" go to... Not sure about your other joints, but the 1480 is the size you want.

Well, not so much size. quality. :) How often do folks pro-actively change out joints? I may even put in drive shaft loops as well this year. 700hp Much > then 300 hp. I figured putting 130mph runs down the e-way something's going to break in the drive line next for me.

anything under 80-ish mph or 5th gear and lower, I suspect I'll be in 4x4 anyways. So the power will be 50/50 due to traction issues. Would that negate my worries? Already out of the toque multiplication gears and in the top gear. Well over the torque peek in the RPM band as well.

As see in the avatar, the week link may very well still be 6th gear. LOL..

it may sound bad but i still use the stockers,23000 miles 4 motors and current 900 hp boosted launches.i shake the shafts after every race and so far so good.heck to be honest i dont even grease em like i should....

it may sound bad but i still use the stockers,23000 miles 4 motors and current 900 hp boosted launches.i shake the shafts after every race and so far so good.heck to be honest i dont even grease em like i should....

Good thing you didn't attempt to grease them. cuz the "stockers" are not grease able :)

Every month I go and touch every ball and joint. 14 grease fittings total. I go though about one mini tube of grease. mileage varies. Say 2000 miles maybe? the ball joints seem to just eat the stuff.

When mine was made for the conversion they used Spicer 1480's and did a high speed balance. So far so good.

Ive always know people wanting to go with a differant drivshaft setup, and wanting to stay a little cheaper just dealing with a non performance place. They do just as good of a job as any high performance place and you can get it set it up however you want. A buddy of mine twisted his driveshaft in two and indy joint and clutch made him a new one for $200. I see you are from MN, you might check out

http://www.provenforce.com/contacts.html

Back