cr or 12v towing

dmaxexpress

looking to build or buy a tow rig for my puller. What have you guys had better luck with and mpg. Would you rather have a cr or 12v and why. thanks

I know I am knew to this forum but a good friend of mine that supplies me with a lot of my cummins parts has had 1st through 3rd gen cummins and hauled over the road with all. Now, he has told me personally that he felt more comfortable driving his 12v with a nv5600 and a US Gear Overdrive (I believe was the brand) over the road. More reliable better fuel economy. Helped along with over drive option. Either way he also stated that his mildly worked 12v mainly a #10 plate and afc adjustments pulled better then his 03cr with the nv5600.

Now this is his opinion and what he told me and he hauled for a long time and still does. Others may feel different but hey its all in the beholder right. I personally like the reliability of the 12v. Cant be mechanical in my opinion.

Good luck and I hope this is helpful for you.

I sure see alot of relatively stock CR's with alot of miles on them. Plus they are much better driving chassis/steering.

I sure see alot of relatively stock CR's with alot of miles on them. Plus they are much better driving chassis/steering.

Ive seen quite a few high milage cr's too, but ive seen alot that didnt make it very far at all too. Im one that has had terrible luck with cr. Ive had 3 and all of them have had engine problems with less than 100,000 on them. Im hoping im gonna have the best of both worlds here shortly, im about done putting a 12valve in my 03 3500. We'll see how it works out. The truck only has 77k miles on it. :hehe:

Ive seen quite a few high milage cr's too, but ive seen alot that didnt make it very far at all too. Im one that has had terrible luck with cr. Ive had 3 and all of them have had engine problems with less than 100,000 on them. Im hoping im gonna have the best of both worlds here shortly, im about done putting a 12valve in my 03 3500. We'll see how it works out. The truck only has 77k miles on it. :hehe:

One day that truck will drive....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

What were the failures they have had? What mods were done to the truck?

I would go with a CR if I was staying within a 100 mile range just because of the reliability issues some of my friends have experienced. 12v all the way for long distance hauling.

im about done putting a 12valve in my 03 3500. We'll see how it works out. The truck only has 77k miles on it. :hehe:

12v 3rd gen is awesome! You get reliability and comfort in one package. I just finished one for my friend and he loves it. The looks you get from other diesel guys is priceless, they always tell him his commonrail is going to blow because of the rattling its making. The hardest part for me was making the intake and motor mounts. I'm working on swapping an '06 over right now and it should go alot easier.

I would go with a CR if I was staying within a 100 mile range just because of the reliability issues some of my friends have experienced. 12v all the way for long distance hauling.

12v 3rd gen is awesome! You get reliability and comfort in one package. I just finished one for my friend and he loves it. The looks you get from other diesel guys is priceless, they always tell him his commonrail is going to blow because of the rattling its making. The hardest part for me was making the intake and motor mounts. I'm working on swapping an '06 over right now and it should go alot easier.
I was there for the motor mounts part...that was pretty danged funny. Lots of head scratching for sure. Good thing there was a 12 valve truck sitting right next to it with the motor out.

I prefer 12valves after owning 2 CRs. The CR is a great motor and fun to drive but i like the mechanical injection or electo-mechanical. I just trust my 12 valve more than i did my CRs.

I say 12v is better tow motor, but CR trucks are alot nicer riding... My vote is for 12v Chevy...... Which is what I'm building! :D

My dad uses a 2006 3500 CR to tow his camper with, and he is a full timer. He also has an enclosed trailer he has made in to an over-nighter. Granted, he only has an AFE intake as far as mods go. But, the only three issues he has had are with the battery cables, a/c box cracking, and a small leak from one of the heater hoses. His truck isn't driven grandpa like either.

I think it is going to come down to what you want. The mod bug bites hard, and with any vehicle, some modifications can hinder reliability.

I tow a 16,000 pound horse trailer. I wouldn't trade my 08 Dually, 6 speed auto, and, big disk brakes, and exhaust brake for a 12 valve.

My opinion is the CR. This is going to sound horrible for us Ford guys but here it is. I've had my sled puller, and my mud racer pulled to events by CR trucks. And every time, I'm very impressed with the EGT's they keep, and the ability to stay in the power running up hills. When I pull with my truck (Stroke) I have to drive by the pyrometer. Pleanty of power, just can't use it quite like the CR trucks. That's just my take on it. I've just been very impressed with the CR towing.

CR + EFI Live + twins + exhaust brake = unbeatable.

Interesting discussion here, about the ultimate CR, but if you read some of his other posts, he has about 600 RWHP and its great for towing. "Joe to be honest with a CR, used the way you use yours, it is dead reliable just the way it is."

Building a dead reliable 2004.5-2007 5.9L Common Rail. - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

I'm setting up something similar, but using a 6.7.

FWIW, I have a stock 5.9 swapped into an F250 right now. It pulls a 35 foot 5th wheel at over 13K, really nicely.

I prefer 12valves after owning 2 CRs. The CR is a great motor and fun to drive but i like the mechanical injection or electo-mechanical. I just trust my 12 valve more than i did my CRs.

I have a 100K on the CR swapped into my F250 6 years ago, a lot of it pulling. I haven't touched a thing and its dead nuts reliable. I haven't even really finished the swap ! It just runs.

The key to CR reliability is clean fuel. My engine has had a 2 micron filter since new.

Back