Hood Stack

The hood stack is an awesome set up. We have been doing the r&d and cant wait till the finished product is done! Thanks Josh!

The hood stack is an awesome set up. We have been doing the r&d and cant wait till the finished product is done! Thanks Josh!

Glad you guys like it Adam. We really appriciate your help in the R&D. I'm sure once we get the final version to you guys it'll really set the look of the truck. By the way...get your truck done yet? LOL

I'm still waiting to get the "OK" to post pictures...it's killing me...:bang:

Update

So we are approaching the home stretch here, and I'm working on a few things. First of all, for my display version of the 7" kit, I have just sent the 304 s.s. ring out to Andy at SPI (Home Page) to have them prep the ring for painting. What I want to do is when I release this kit, you will have a detailed procedure on how to buff this to a shine, or the correct way to paint the 304. From what I'm told, you can paint 304, if done correctly, incorrectly will cause the paint finish to flake and peel off. While some of you may have a body shop paint your truck with the ring already in place, others may install this after the truck is built and ready for the track. So with the help of Andy, and doing some buffing my self, we'll include the proper instructions for each appearance you may want! :rockwoot:

Update

Well with any bit of luck, I will be able to post the long awaited photo's. I was told earlier this week that I should be able to post pictures next week. The photo's will be of the revised proto type installed on a pulling truck, with a few photo's of the final version of the set up. I'm also being told that next week I'll be able to start the production of these set ups. 7" is still the first ones out of the shoot, with the 6" versions to follow shortly after. Expect more updates, and more information next week as I get it.

:rockwoot: :rockwoot:

Finally Some Photo's

Here are some Photo's...

In this photo: This is one of the first revised mount ring. You can see the legs that will attach to the basket. This basket will allow you to adjust the stack to be straight, yet keeping the ring following the contour of the hood.
P1220038.jpg

In this photo: Same ring, with stack installed
P1220048.jpg

In this photo: Front view, you can see the stack is straight up and down, and the ring following the hood contour. You can also see the gasket between the hood, and mount ring. This is to allow a more smooth fit.
P1220049.jpg

In this photo: Looking down you can see part of the basket. The stack sits in here, no need for a clamp to secure it. HOWEVER we are going to recomend you put a bolt through the stack, and basket to help secure it in case of a turbo blow out.
P1220057.jpg

In this photo: You can see one style of the hardware in these kits. You can either use these shown with a washer, or a flush mount screw. AGAIN this is just the first version of the mount ring, the updated one will be tappered down to allow the flush mount screws to mount flush with the ring, which is the reason you will need the washers for the button head screws if used. You can also see the bolt ring. This ring is used to sandwhich the hood, gasket, and bolt ring together, forming a very tight and solid mount. Since in most applications you will need to cut back some of the hood webbing out, the bolt ring will also re-secure what was cut out.
P2150131.jpg

In this photo: Same set up, but with stack installed.
P2150135.jpg

In this photo: Just another point of view.
P2150136.jpg

Now, keep in mind this is just a revised version of the first proto type. The actual ones are a little different, from being fined tuned. These photo's show the ring being aluminized, the actual ring will be 304 stainless. This will allow you to either a.) polish it to a shine, or b.) paint it. I've aske Andy from S.P.I. to hook me up with directions for the correct way to paint the 304 stainless. Special thanks to him for taking the time to do that for us.

I hope when you guys get these you really appriciate the time an effort we put into this product for your truck. If you have any questions...please keep asking them! As soon as I can, I will post pictures of the final version of this set up. Not much has changed, just the mount ring a little bit.

will there always be a gap between the ring and the stack?

Garrett

Yes, because of the design of it, If it were snug to the stack, you would have a crooked stack. This allows the ring to follow the contour of the hood, yet give the basket under the hood the movement it's needed to keep the stack straight. Some trucks may have more gap then others, depending on the where on the hood they place this.

Yes, because of the design of it, If it were snug to the stack, you would have a crooked stack. This allows the ring to follow the contour of the hood, yet give the basket under the hood the movement it's needed to keep the stack straight. Some trucks may have more gap then others, depending on the where on the hood they place this.

ok, i hear ya.

Garrett

Ok, here is under the hood.

IMG00058-20100215-1314.jpg

This is a combination of ideas here. Part mine, part roachie's, part engineering, and part manufacturing. I think it's a pretty slick set up. I will move up or down as you can see, and pivot...giving you a straight up stack...
You can also see how they had to cut back some of the webbing under neith the truck hood, and how that bolt ring secured it all back up.

looks good, i like that pivot idea, really gives you some room for misalignment.

Any plans for more screws around the base so it doesn't sit high in some spots like it does now? Also i would assume it comes with a template to cut the hole.

good price too.

looks good, i like that pivot idea, really gives you some room for misalignment.

Any plans for more screws around the base so it doesn't sit high in some spots like it does now? Also i would assume it comes with a template to cut the hole.

good price too.

We like that idea too...it works well with the hood from a 94-02 Dodge, which to me seems to have the most pitch to it.

No, six machine screws all the way around, that's it. I'm sure we will have a template, it will be the same size as the bolt plate that goes in under the hood. That is what we used here when they cut the hole in the hood we got for our dislplay.

Back