traction bars

brown guy

sorry if this is a dumb ? but I know most of you guys have done some sort of traction bars or ladder bars
had thought of going from the bottem of the u-bolts on my second gen to the frame at the same angle as the drive shaft but was worried about binding being my daily driver and some of the heavy loads that I haul with it
so that said I am still new at this so please be nice to the new guy

Make em parallel with the drive line and you wont have any binding. Best mod Ive made to my truck for towing and driving. Use the search on here and you will find lots of pic's for designing your own..

I guess I can't use search right just makes me mad and can't
find what i'm looking for if some one could help I am thinking more on ladder bars

Think about it logically...

The rear axle on a leaf-sprung setup will almost always have the hanger at the front and the shackle at the rear. As the suspension cycles the spring will flatten and then re-arc repeatedly. And when it flattens the shackle will move rearward, then when it re-arcs as the spring is unloaded the shackle will swing back forward. Obviously that's because the elliptical spring elongates when it is compressed and becomes less and less elliptical, and closer and closer to a straight line.

Well if you watch the forward half of the springpack, you will notice that the axle arcs along a path determined by the radius from the axle perch to the spring eye bushing at the hanger. When compressed, the forward half of the spring hinges on the eye bolt and arcs rearward as it travels upward.

You need your link to mirror this arc path as it cycles.

Short answer....

Since automakers don't want the driveshaft telescopic section to have to endure endless slipping on collapse and extension while you hit every little bump in the road for hundreds of thousands of miles, they work to ensure that the driveshaft will also mirror this axle arc path as well.

So...

IF the truck suspension is largely unmodified, then the driveshaft should be a good angle gauge for you as a general rule of thumb.

And if you just want it to bind up..... run the links nearly horizontal on a high arch springpack, and run them up a mile long like most guys do. That way the springpack must bind just to cycle, and on top of that, when you actually need them to control wrap they will just deflect because they're too long to be useful.

:hehe:

And if you just want it to bind up..... run the links nearly horizontal on a high arch springpack, and run them up a mile long like most guys do. That way the springpack must bind just to cycle, and on top of that, when you actually need them to control wrap they will just deflect because they're too long to be useful.

I'll agree with that statement

thanks for your advice the truck is stock 02 dodge and not lifted
and was not sure if the long bar were doing the job so on that i'll look in to ladder bars

Think about it logically...

The rear axle on a leaf-sprung setup will almost always have the hanger at the front and the shackle at the rear. As the suspension cycles the spring will flatten and then re-arc repeatedly. And when it flattens the shackle will move rearward, then when it re-arcs as the spring is unloaded the shackle will swing back forward. Obviously that's because the elliptical spring elongates when it is compressed and becomes less and less elliptical, and closer and closer to a straight line.

Well if you watch the forward half of the springpack, you will notice that the axle arcs along a path determined by the radius from the axle perch to the spring eye bushing at the hanger. When compressed, the forward half of the spring hinges on the eye bolt and arcs rearward as it travels upward.

You need your link to mirror this arc path as it cycles.

Short answer....

Since automakers don't want the driveshaft telescopic section to have to endure endless slipping on collapse and extension while you hit every little bump in the road for hundreds of thousands of miles, they work to ensure that the driveshaft will also mirror this axle arc path as well.

So...

IF the truck suspension is largely unmodified, then the driveshaft should be a good angle gauge for you as a general rule of thumb.

:hehe:

Excellent explanation and made my mind up completely not to use cal tracs.

HUH??:what:

As the spring compresses the distance from the front hanger to the point at the u-bolts for the block will lengthen. The cal tracs do have a shackle type deal of some sort to allow some movement of the front mount point to account for some of this but not enough for me to be comfortable. This is the only thing which makes any sense as to why some people have complained about a stiffer ride with the cal tracs; they are limiting the ability of the leaf spring to flatten and lengthen. There is adjustment in that shackle front mount it seems but I don't feel it would offer near the same movment as a straight bar mirroring the drive shaft in angle.

If my truck was still lowered and drag racing was my only agenda I would give the cal tracs much more consideration.

Plus, in my experience removing things like spring bushings in my truck is way more effort then I want to put into anything. Took 24 hours to swap four control arms:bang

If you run the solid aluminm bushing that comes with teh cal-tracs, yes you get a horrible ride. But if you keep the stock rubber bushing in it, the ride is, well, stock. The bars themselves have littel to no effect on ride quality, yet still do the job of controlling spring wrap even with the rubber bushings. I have had them on two of my own trucks and three friends run them, so I feel I have enough experience to say this, yes we have run them with both bushings to see the difference.

The bars leave plenty of room for the spring to flatten out due to the shackle design you mentioned, that's why they made the shackle set-up, to allow for spring movement, most of it is in the back of the spring anyways.

But if your not doing much drag racing I wouldn't bother either. And putting them on a lowered truck (a 2nd gen at least) requires custom spring perches to be fabricated...ask me how I know. LOL

And putting them on a lowered truck (a 2nd gen at least) requires custom spring perches to be fabricated...ask me how I know. LOL

I called them, and they sent me a shorter bar next day. They are good guys to work with. Colin

I just put a set of caltracs on a guys duramax. How exactly are you suppose to use the rubber bushing? I made up my mind to never put them on another truck. 45 min install... yeah right.

A piece of pipe, some flat stock, some threaded rod, some big washers and a few nuts... You can draw them out with an impact wrench. Or you can wedge a flat head screw driver where the eye is rolled over and comes in contact with the spring. It's not too hard.

So what would be the best traction bars to maintain close to stock ride quality and still help with axle wrap?

Sam

ladder bars use 2 points of connection on the axle and on the frame side use a shackle to allow the bars to move with the axle/springs forward and back.

Garrett

And it should be said that any 2 point connection will not allow any more articulation than the attachment points and the bar itself will deflect to allow.

It must bind to articulate, geometrically.

Although in practice, the bars will deflect, and poly bushings will smush enough that people driving around in a street truck will never notice it. But someone trying to get over a boulder on a trail would notice it quick.

Back