Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Thermostat Fluctuation?

Alright, so I just read this:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...mperature.html

But... When the truck was on it's original thermostat, it didnt do this.
Then I swapped the radiator and I dont remember it doing that after, then I swapped thermostats to a 24V Napa 190Deg one and it worked with fluctuation. This was over a year ago.

Two weeks ago I went to Cummins and paid $40 for a legit 12V thermostat and it wanted to operate between here (160) and here (170):
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

They are supposed to operate at 181deg and I wasnt seeing that. I even swapped the two seals.

I ended up getting my money back from Cummins, and tossing in a new AutoZone one from a 24V (looks the exact same as my old Napa one btw), but now I am getting the same fluctuation.

I feel like I have been in other 12V's that dont fluctuate.

Does anyone have any insight or a solution? I want to get a 24V Cummins Tstat, but if that is a waste of money, I might not. I just want my truck to warm up quickly, and then stay at temp (Ideally 190deg). Regardless of your coolant setup, (assuming your tstat isnt broken and that your coolant system can handle it) the tstat should keep the temperature at a single spot. It shouldnt dump, it should slowly open more and more to keep the engien at the correct temp.

or am I crazy?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
captain_stabbin

Name: captain_stabbin
Title: hmm
Member`s Gallery
mines does this bs too, change t-stats an can get it to stop either.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I think it is where the sensor is located. It heats up and then gets cooler water when it opens.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
My 12v did the exact same thing. Just never thought much of it. Block the radiator off completely in cold weather and it fixed it. Summer time, never noticed it.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I think it is where the sensor is located. It heats up and then gets cooler water when it opens.
Where is it located? I have never looked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
My 12v did the exact same thing. Just never thought much of it. Block the radiator off completely in cold weather and it fixed it. Summer time, never noticed it.
What do you mean by blocking it off completely? I would definitely overheat.

Hmm, this is lame. I have now tried a 12V and an early 24V Tstat, Does anyone have any specs on common rail ones? I dont know if they have better thermostats, the sensor in a better place, or if they just program the gauge to average readings or something?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Mine never once started to get hot. I put cardboard in front of the radiator...
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
ahh, that's not the same as completely blocking it off. I have tried that before with insulation board inbetween teh radiator and intercooler. I didnt like it.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
JSaat

Name: JSaat
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I just take mine out when its cold Rick why dont you do that? works well!

2001 2500 ECSB 4x4, ATS Stg. 4, 62/65-14, DDP 150s, Airdog 165, Fluidamper, studded, and still slow

2001 2500 ECLB 4x4, DTT, FASS, 100 hp inj, TST-PowerMax

2002 F-450 Crew 2wd zf6 service truck w/ 4.88s, TS 6 position, straight pipe
Rt. 66 Truck Repair

Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Well it seems to same to me when none of it is uncovered. I block the entire face off.

Jesse your a tard lol
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
little6cylinder

Name: little6cylinder
Title: Everything is "fixable"
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Where is it located? I have never looked for it.

What do you mean by blocking it off completely? I would definitely overheat.

Hmm, this is lame. I have now tried a 12V and an early 24V Tstat, Does anyone have any specs on common rail ones? I dont know if they have better thermostats, the sensor in a better place, or if they just program the gauge to average readings or something?
The sender is located in the back of the head on the driver side. It's in a fine place. That doesn't matter for when the thermostat opens anyway though(I know you understand that, just for anyone that searches for this later). We should check your fan hub and throw the good flowing cummins t-stat back in.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
307diesel

Name: 307diesel
Title: built 6.7
Member`s Gallery
My 12v does the same thing and has for the last 200,000 miles. The heater is always hot and it doesn't overheat so I don't worry about it. Who's to say that your guage is correct, such a new truck and all. The sensor is in the driver side rear of the head.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Chris Mallett

Name: Chris Mallett
Title: 12ver Swap Idiot
Member`s Gallery
I use a winter front on mine and leave it completely blocked off under 30*. Will open the center flaps if temps over 45*, have to remove completely if over 60*. It won't get hot just truck alone, but dislikes towing over 6k with the centers open and over 40*.

Back to the OP, almost every 12ver I have encountered has your same issue. Cover it and let it keep heat.

R.I.P. Dex, Godspeed.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
I run without the fan must of the year, and cardboard in the winter, still never see over 170.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
9612vinva

Name: 9612vinva
Title: Da Man
Member`s Gallery
From what I have read the only reason the newer trucks don't do it is because dodge programmed them not to since there were so many complaints about it...

I have had 3 12v and they all have done it...

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
I put a new radiator in my 12 valve last fall and noticed this to happen with my gauge. My gauge fluctuates from 190 to about 150 though. However, the water temperature never gets over 190, even in the summer pulling a 4,000 lb horse trailer. I dont' know when the last time the t-stat was changed, I dont remember if I changed it with the radiator. I'd have to check my book. Mine takes a little bit to warm up on cold mornings but when it does you know it! It has never really bothered me much.

My 24 valve has new NAPA 180* t-stat and original radiator and does not do this.

If your worried about heat just plug it in over night and start it 5 to 10 minutes early.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I am not worried about heat. I just want my truck to get up to temp quickly, and then stay exactly where it should.

Also, 12v thermostats are 181deg, and 24v are 190deg. At 190deg, your engine should be slightly happier, and seals will last just as long. The 24v thermostats are about 1m smaller in diameter than the 12v but they fit without leaking. Just some useful info for you guys.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
f6jbob

Name: f6jbob
Member`s Gallery
Anytime you power wash your radiator or install a new one you will get this fluctuation. Like others have said get cardboard the size of the radiator and cut a 8" to 10" hole in the middle. Problem solved.
2006 RCSB Dodge Goerend tranny and converter, Stainless Diesel twins and exhaust manifold, B&B intake manifold, T&C Diesel CP3, rail and dual prv, Hellman intercooler, Porting by Joker Fabrication, Isspro Performax gauges, AirDog fuel pump. Supported by Pure Diesel Power, Garmons Diesel Performance, Blacks Diesel Performance and above vendors.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 307diesel View Post
Who's to say that your guage is correct,
This.

My 12v gauge always says its running cold. The previous owner installed a separate water temp gauge under the dash. When I first bought the truck, it would run from 170-190 for hours on end, always up and down. A big rad will do that. That t-stat died on me about 2 years ago, got another one from Cummins, this one hold temp real steady, usually cools down when I'm coming off the highway slowing down in the winter.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your truck isn't the first to do it, and it won't be the last.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
haloman

Name: haloman
Member`s Gallery
What Tate said. Got to keep in mind these truck were designed to keep cool in 100deg heat while at max capacity.

Custom cardboard insert with a hole cut in the middle always did the trick for me.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
This.

My 12v gauge always says its running cold. The previous owner installed a separate water temp gauge under the dash. When I first bought the truck, it would run from 170-190 for hours on end, always up and down. A big rad will do that. That t-stat died on me about 2 years ago, got another one from Cummins, this one hold temp real steady, usually cools down when I'm coming off the highway slowing down in the winter.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your truck isn't the first to do it, and it won't be the last.
I did check my tstat housing with a laser temp gun before returning the cummins tstat. I know that's definitely not the most accurate way, but it was easy and free. It did stay cool (130deg-ish). I should go check it again with the new one from Napa that stays a lot closer to 190deg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloman View Post
What Tate said. Got to keep in mind these truck were designed to keep cool in 100deg heat while at max capacity.

Custom cardboard insert with a hole cut in the middle always did the trick for me.
If you put cardboard in there, it will take a ton of the efficiency away from the intercooler though. I played around with it a few years ago. I went and bought 1/4" insulation board, then cut it into four lengths that I could sit inbetween the radiator and intercooler and my mileage went from 22 to 19mpg. I didnt feel a difference in warm up time really and no difference in power, but the mileage was the only big change. Maybe I'll mess around with the idea again. I also want to go to an electric fan because I have a feeling that my fan is stuck on.

Closed Thread