Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Alternative Fuels
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alternative Fuels Fuel Talk!

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #21
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
I've been running it and any other waste oil (motor, gear, trans, peanut, etc...) for a few years now. I just filter and mix 50/50 with diesel in the tank. Never had any ill effects except slight FP drops when its colder out. I get same mileage, burns the same, etc....

I know my opinion is worth chit here, but I wouldn't lie about this

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by madmikeismad; 04-21-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
floridabob

Name: floridabob
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I used it for 130k miles in a 96 Dodge 2500 and who knows how many miles in Mercedes engines and TDIs. My personal vehicles. Hand calculated 10% decrease WVO mileage in the truck. Towing a load was nearly 20% drop in mileage. This is in a converted truck w/2 tank system. As for whats involved in converting, all those sites are pretty good at giving the basics: 2 tank parallel systems are the best, heat is necessary, filtering is critical.

Needs to be de-watered. Period. Consequences are guaranteed otherwise. Filtering out trash was easy w/spin ons if you dont centrifuge...which would dewater and filter.

Reading your post leads me to believe you are doing a pro/con discussion of its use and reviewing risk/benefit w/associated expenses? There are many soft costs not considered until you have done it and some repairs that can be debated as to whether they were caused by WVO or not.

If you have specific data you want or anecdotal stuff, I may have plenty of BS to supply!

As for $3 per gallon for used, not at the collection site. MAYBE after its rendered. And before you tell me I'm wrong, I was a Divisional Director with 65 restaurants for years. They dont pay that. Right now I work for a place with 650 outlets, 70% of them getting oil collected and they dont pay that. I also collected my own for years and never paid. The option was there for the restaurants to be paid, but they allowed me to have it in exchange for clean barrels and a pressure wash quarterly.

Good luck w/the paper!

Bob

Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
f6jbob

Name: f6jbob
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabob View Post
I used it for 130k miles in a 96 Dodge 2500 and who knows how many miles in Mercedes engines and TDIs. My personal vehicles. Hand calculated 10% decrease WVO mileage in the truck. Towing a load was nearly 20% drop in mileage. This is in a converted truck w/2 tank system. As for whats involved in converting, all those sites are pretty good at giving the basics: 2 tank parallel systems are the best, heat is necessary, filtering is critical.

Needs to be de-watered. Period. Consequences are guaranteed otherwise. Filtering out trash was easy w/spin ons if you dont centrifuge...which would dewater and filter.

Reading your post leads me to believe you are doing a pro/con discussion of its use and reviewing risk/benefit w/associated expenses? There are many soft costs not considered until you have done it and some repairs that can be debated as to whether they were caused by WVO or not.

If you have specific data you want or anecdotal stuff, I may have plenty of BS to supply!

As for $3 per gallon for used, not at the collection site. MAYBE after its rendered. And before you tell me I'm wrong, I was a Divisional Director with 65 restaurants for years. They dont pay that. Right now I work for a place with 650 outlets, 70% of them getting oil collected and they dont pay that. I also collected my own for years and never paid. The option was there for the restaurants to be paid, but they allowed me to have it in exchange for clean barrels and a pressure wash quarterly.

Good luck w/the paper!

Bob
Excellent and accurate info.
The $3 a gallon IS after its rendered.
They go off the commodities market. They pay squat
to the mom & pop bars and restaurants.
2006 RCSB Dodge Goerend tranny and converter, Stainless Diesel twins and exhaust manifold, B&B intake manifold, T&C Diesel CP3, rail and dual prv, Hellman intercooler, Porting by Joker Fabrication, Isspro Performax gauges, AirDog fuel pump. Supported by Pure Diesel Power, Garmons Diesel Performance, Blacks Diesel Performance and above vendors.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #24
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
Theres not much info out there aside from forum stuff like that infopop.cc page. It doesnt get a lot of research, probably because its not a sustainable fuel source without some major development like GM algae or something.
Ive converted mine and tried WVO and biodiesel. Havent messed with it in awhile since I wanted to redesign the tank(s) and go with 10"x30" spun aluminum tanks under the bedsides. I never use my spare anyhow so I may just get a normal tank and just use that. A lot less plumbing to do.
Its a lot of work. And its Nas-Tee stuff to work with. nothing like pumping rancid oil out of a dumpster thats got a dead raccoon stuck in it. Hope you got that tetanus booster shot, lol.

If you have a 160hp ppump you dont care about, perfect.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Last edited by kawi600; 05-28-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Torque Monkey

Name: Torque Monkey
Title: The show stopper!!!!!
Member`s Gallery
I had a boi-diesel processor set up in my garage that could do 3 80gallon batches in different stages, at one time. I ran a lot of Bio in my 99 but my common rail didn't like it so much so I quit. Also it was getting very difficult to find sources.

After all the time and hassle plus oil getting hard to find, the straw that boke the camels back to say, was the price of methanol. They raised it to almost $5.00 a gallon when I was making bio. This made it not worth the effort so I stopped.

Never tried WVO as I was involved more for the process of making Bio-diesel than saving money on fuel.

Turned out to be a lot more work and hassle than I thought it would be. Nas-Tee stuff indeed.

I figured it was time to stop when I caught my dog licking the driveway.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
Methanol is mostly made from natural gas here. With all the big finds around ND and such Im sure the prices will become a little cheaper.
WVO is great but you need to de-water it and some argue it even needs washing too.
I used heat / vacuum to dewater but Im sure theres other ways. Heat and spray did not work as well for me.
I worry about my dog getting into this stuff. They eat random junk off the ground like a goat.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
Torque Monkey

Name: Torque Monkey
Title: The show stopper!!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi600 View Post
Methanol is mostly made from natural gas here. With all the big finds around ND and such Im sure the prices will become a little cheaper.
WVO is great but you need to de-water it and some argue it even needs washing too.
I used heat / vacuum to dewater but Im sure theres other ways. Heat and spray did not work as well for me.
I worry about my dog getting into this stuff. They eat random junk off the ground like a goat.
I found that if you are making bio-diesel it wasn't such a big deal the condition of the WVO. If water was present during the reaction then you would get a layer of soap between the glycerin and bio-diesel. I also had a wash tank and a drying tank. It all worked very well.

I could see how removing water and other contaminents from WVO would be very difficult if you were runing straight vegatable oil. The best bet would be to find a good clean source to start with. Mine wasn't so good so mkaing bio was the best option.

Closed Thread