Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Exterior Care
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Exterior Care Wash, Wax, Paint, Body, Buffing, and Polishing.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
JTProuhet

Name: JTProuhet
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
what kind of clear coat are you guys using on the tail lights? anything special? and how long wait time between applications?

SOLD: 2004.5 Dodge 3500 SRW CR 6spd

Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #22
Kman9090

Name: Kman9090
Member`s Gallery
prouhet go to auto zone and get the smoked paint i dont know what its called! Call Randy he did it to his and it looks good.

Gilmore Diesel Performance
Sponsored by D&B Performance and Fabrication

Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
JTProuhet

Member`s Gallery
me and dane were at autozone and they didnt have anything nor did they ever have it they said...

Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #24
BFD99

Name: BFD99
Title: The Stig
Member`s Gallery
vht niteshades. i didnt need a clearcoat on mine. you can buy it online for like 13 dollars.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #25
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTProuhet View Post
me and dane were at autozone and they didnt have anything nor did they ever have it they said...
People that work at AutoZone are generally idiots...

Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #26
JTProuhet

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
vht niteshades. i didnt need a clearcoat on mine. you can buy it online for like 13 dollars.
did you just scuff up the lens with scotchbrite and then just spray on the vht... or did u use the adhesive spray first? is the paint still good on it any chips or anything and how many coats did you put on

Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #27
JTProuhet

Member`s Gallery
Just did them last night... Wasnt real impressed with the finish... but i am going to try clear coating them and try to get them to shine....

Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
Turbo Performance

Name: Turbo Performance
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Just did them last night... Wasnt real impressed with the finish... but i am going to try clear coating them and try to get them to shine....
I think it looks pretty good. Did you just scuff them up and use VHT niteshades and that's it? Been wanting to do mine but don't want to screw them up and be stuck with em.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #29
JTProuhet

Member`s Gallery
well... i washed them, used some scotchbrite.. nothing heavy just enough to scuff it up.. cleaned them again.. sprayed it, let it sit for 15-20 mins (enough to dry to touch) sprayed again.. (kindve heavy coats) let them sit for several hours.. You could see the scuff marks from the scotchbrite, so i went and got some wetsanding paper 1500g and 2000g wet sanded it pretty lightly to get rid of the scuff marks.. Washed them off.. and they became very very foggy.. so then i used some rubbing compound and that got rid of alot of it, and then used like 3 coats of turtle wax let each coat sit for half hour.. turned out OK... still not very shiny and can see some scuff marks.. I just picked up a mother power ball and some mequiars plastic polish and cleaner going to hopefully get them *****es to SHINE...

If i were to do it again (and the way i SHOULD have done it in the first place) is to just wash the lenses real good, and just paint them... if i wouldnt have scuffed them up they would have looked really good right after i painted them.. A couple friends of mine just cleaned them up and sprayed them, nothing else, and their's are holding up just fine.. he said his cab lights are starting to fade a little bit (but he did them probably close to 2 years ago and he doesnt have clear coat on them)

So we will see tonight if this plastic polish is going to do the trick... I was just like you, very learly about doing it, but i just went ahead and just did it and i would have been alot more impressed if i would have just sprayed them and put some clear on them....

Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #30
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
well... i washed them, used some scotchbrite.. nothing heavy just enough to scuff it up.. cleaned them again.. sprayed it, let it sit for 15-20 mins (enough to dry to touch) sprayed again.. (kindve heavy coats) let them sit for several hours.. You could see the scuff marks from the scotchbrite, so i went and got some wetsanding paper 1500g and 2000g wet sanded it pretty lightly to get rid of the scuff marks.. Washed them off.. and they became very very foggy.. so then i used some rubbing compound and that got rid of alot of it, and then used like 3 coats of turtle wax let each coat sit for half hour.. turned out OK... still not very shiny and can see some scuff marks.. I just picked up a mother power ball and some mequiars plastic polish and cleaner going to hopefully get them *****es to SHINE...

If i were to do it again (and the way i SHOULD have done it in the first place) is to just wash the lenses real good, and just paint them... if i wouldnt have scuffed them up they would have looked really good right after i painted them.. A couple friends of mine just cleaned them up and sprayed them, nothing else, and their's are holding up just fine.. he said his cab lights are starting to fade a little bit (but he did them probably close to 2 years ago and he doesnt have clear coat on them)

So we will see tonight if this plastic polish is going to do the trick... I was just like you, very learly about doing it, but i just went ahead and just did it and i would have been alot more impressed if i would have just sprayed them and put some clear on them....
What paint did you use? Did it affect the visibility of the tail lights much at all? Did you tape off the clear area for the back up lights?

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
JTProuhet

Member`s Gallery
The paint is called VHT NiteShade. Yes it affects the visibility.. just depends on how thick you put the coats on and how many.... my first coat just gave it a black tint but you could still see the red pretty easily.. and yes i taped off the reverse and cargo lights off.. put some painters blue tape and then just used a exacto knife and cut along outline of the light....

actually my buddie that just sprayed his lights and didnt do anything else just stopped by my work and we compared them and mine are ALOT smoother and look alot shinier than his... but i am still going to try polishing them and get them like glass

Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #32
scott2001

Name: scott2001
Title: Its never fast enough
Member`s Gallery
tried window tint looked like crap my try your idea

Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #33
JTProuhet

Member`s Gallery
I think it makes it look alot better.. i am going to get some better pictures with a real camera opposed to my phone

Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #34
JTProuhet

Member`s Gallery
you can make them as dark or as light as you want.. i think if i were to have done another coat, i dont think you would have been able to see the lights very easy

Old 04-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #35
Willy91

Name: Willy91
Member`s Gallery
I had a buddy of mine that works at a body shop do mine. He just used some clear and mixed a touch of black paint in with it, turned out great and lights up ok to.

Click the image to open in full size.

taillights look bubblie but's just ice on them in the pic.

Thanks to:
Steven Cole
Done Right Diesel
Diesel performance converters
Pure diesel power

Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #36
ClayKann101

Name: ClayKann101
Title: Zombie Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Watch out for state troopers i been pulled over twice now for blacked out tail lights and corners....

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #37
ROSKOE115

Name: ROSKOE115
Title: SLICKER THAN A FRESH BASS
Member`s Gallery
MY buddy got nail for them on his truck. they where real dark though. I had some on my 3rd gen gasser and never got stopped. They are still for sale if any one wants them.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3.0 ecodiesel 4X4 Overland

Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #38
97 D-Tec

Name: 97 D-Tec
Member`s Gallery
I too think vht night shades is a good idea. Its not too grand for headlights (if u use more then 2 coats) but ive got it on my headlight's corner (turn signals) and on my old(completely covered) and my new LED tailights (i just coverd up the ugly reflectors). I havent had it fade on my headlights but it did on my old tails. maybe it was a material issue but with the new tailights it hasnt. As JT already said the darkness depends on how many coats u use and also the ability for the lights to be seen when there on. I believe if u really need a dark tailight u could just put in a really bright bulb like a strong led bulb or an hid for headlights

Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #39
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
Here are mine, I have them off now as I got tired of getting tickets for them. I switched to leds. I used Colorbond tail light paint to do them, it is a flat black.

2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #40
CTD24V

Name: CTD24V
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
black it all out

Closed Thread