Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Alternative Fuels
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alternative Fuels Fuel Talk!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
rightwinger

Name: rightwinger
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
50K miles on running on WMO...

OK, so I just pulled the engine apart this past weekend, not because it had failed me, but because I had already put another engine in the truck and had this used engine that I was ready to tear into and rebuild. This engine had 273K miles on it when I pulled it, but 50K of those miles were on a mix of D2 and various amounts of WMO. The filtering methods were pretty crude at first, and eventually resulted in total injector failure. Injectors were replaced and I invested in large centrifuge. So when I took the head off of this 5.9 Cummins I was pretty grossed out by the amount of hardened crusted up crap that was on the top portion of the cylinder, the head, and the pistons. It was almost enough to make me scared to ever run WMO again....but then I had to tell myself that most of that damage occurred when running oil that had been filtered through an oil filter, and never been dewatered. Currently I am running my oil at 1 gph through a centrifuge, and then mixing it 50/50 with D2. Once mixed in the transfer tank, I have a smaller centrifuge that continuously runs 24/7.......I'm just hoping that this new engine doesn't look as bad as the old one did. Some of that crap had to be chiseled off the head it was so crusted on. Anyone ever pulled their head off and looked at how things look after running WMO with a really good filtering process?
2002 Dodge Ram 4X4, 6 speed, Southbend clutch, balanced rotating assembly,maxed out 215 p pump (550 cc's), 025 DV's, DAP 6X.013,Hamilton 103lb springs & HD pushrods, Waterman Sprint 400 lift pump,S362/S475 compounds, head studs , 4 inch exhaust

Old 09-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
RDPsmoker

Name: RDPsmoker
Title: OUT TO LUNCH..
Member`s Gallery
How about some pictures? I'm curious to see the results.
-DPC
-SUNCOAST
03 3500
-Stock for now

Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
heating the WMO with heat exchanger or electric heaters before it gets to the injectors may help with that. saving the WMO for highway or tow situations only might help too.. need the heat to burn it off.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
I ran about 30-40K miles with a un-calculated mix of WMO & WVO mix with diesel through my old 01 7.3. Never pulled the engine apart and I know when I sold the motor to the next owner, he had put a lot of miles on it as well. I sold it with 244K miles on it and last time we talked he had put 50K miles on it. Never had an injector failure or fuel related issues.

I had a old home heating oil tank that was up on a metal frame that I would put all my old motor oil in. After it had settled for a few weeks I would open a ball valve on the bottom to let any water drain off. Then opened another ball valve to let the oil trickle through a large sock filter that then flowed into a 55 gallon drum. From the drum I had a transfer pump with nozzle to pump directly into the truck.

I got tired of the mess and the long process and quit doing this. This was around the time when hurricane Katrina hit the east coast and diesel was $4.50+ per gallon for a year or more. Now with diesel at $2.35 I don't bother with that mess.

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-

Old 02-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
I ran WMO for a while back then, too. I worked at a motorcycle shop where we did a lot of oil changes. Most of the oil looked almost new. I made sure the tech's drain pans were perfectly clean and poured it straight from the drain pans into some 5-gallon buckets I'd bought new for this purpose. I would run it through a couple of layered coffee filters. In other words, I figure it was some good quality WMO. After about 50K miles I pulled the injectors to swap in some larger ones and the nozzles were NASTY. Lots of crusty stuff like you found. I quit running it after that.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Closed Thread