Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
PCV

positive crankcase ventilation….why is it so bad?? seems to be one of the first things people get rid of along with egr, dpf, etc…

in my case i have 150k on my short block, rings are definitely showing their age, but still runs good. I have been venting my crankcase fumes to a catch can with a breather on top of it, which works, but is going a step backwards imo.

if i were to create a vacuum on the crankcase it would seal the rings better, rid of any pumping loses from blowby, and no more smelly mess. why is it a common practice to rid of this system??

im welding a couple of these on my down pipe this weekend!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...e8YhoCYiXw_wcB

Old 04-01-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I'd send them back. I welded one into Bodacious and pulled from everywhere. (four valve covers, timing cover, two on the side cover, etc...

The velocity of the exhaust gas is not fast enough to create the required pressure differential to evacuate the crankcase. What you end up doing is the same thing that is happening now just gets dumped into your exhaust. If you had a hood stack, I still don't think it would create enough differential.

The reason for dumping is obvious. Check out all the clogged TDI/BMW/2.8CRD/ etc... where the crankcase atmosphere is introduced on the suction side of the turbo. These moist fumes along with the EGR create the gunk that clogs the intakes. Mans solution????... stop putting that crap in there.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
Our farm equipment uses a similar idea, but they use the vacuum from the exhaust to suck dirt out of the air cleaner. Most of the exhaust pipes that use this idea have a venturi style pipe to create the pressure differentail.

I think the biggest difference is their is no positive pressure in the air filter system, unlike the crankcase. Alot of guys that run Gas pulling trucks are actually running vacuum pumps to pull the crankcase pressure, they say that by getting rid of the pressure the HP offsets the HP to run the pump.
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 04-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
I think you are mixing up PCV and just a vent. There isn't a PCV on a diesel as there is no intake vacuum. I would run a vacuum pump on a high HP/high boot engine.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Member`s Gallery
Maybe I'll try more than just one, I believe vibrant only advertises they pull like 4hg of vacuum, so multiple may be in my future.

Last edited by Poulina; 04-01-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 AM   #6
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
You need check valve also, most important part. No need for that fancy venturi, just weld pipe to the exhaust to 45 degree angle.

Closed Thread