Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
fld

Name: fld
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
You're right it's being in the dark. And something like this, I like to learn as much about as possible.

And thank you , that makes alot of sense and that is exactly what I will do.

I think what snedge wrote above is a really good basic target for turning it up. Of my math is correct, that's a little over 20% increase that probably puts you somewhere between 475 and 500.

I would think that hp perfectly safe, and that pressure perfectly safe also, driven properly. We'll see about mileage.

I got to tell you guys, I really like the idea of this engine. I have never driven anything that I enjoyed more than this engine. I like the mechanical simplicity of it, I like that the jake brake stops me dead in my tracks, I like that it is very simple to alter the hp, I like that I can work on it myself, and I like that parts are pretty reasonable. And it is fun to drive.

Last edited by fld; 12-18-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
They are a great engine, have a few around. Your not likely going to get to that pressure by just drilling the tamper ball out of the throttle shaft and backing out the screw.

You start pulling hills or accelerating with 215+ rail, you will use more fuel. Guaranteed.

We always install a pressure gauge in the cab and watch rail, gives you a really good idea of load and a visual indicator to minimize it to gain economy.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
When I sent my pump in to be rebuild I was told that it was set at 160 psi of rail pressure. I got it rebuilt and the shop set it at 200 psi. Now it's up to around 290 at WOT before free rev. No idea what mileage is like.

My 855 is the first big diesel I've owned. I've always been a Cat guy and known about Cats because that's all my father has owned. I really like this motor, too. I am really looking forward to messing with it more and trying to make the power I've been told by many that I can't make, with a small cam.

FLD, just remember that there's motors may be rated at 400 hp from the factory, but that is flywheel horsepower. You should figure about 25% driveline loss in power. So, 500 hp at the wheels is a lot different than 500 hp at the flywheel.

Closed Thread