Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
Sustained HP?

I was reading something and I thought ......Phoenix?

What is the most "Sustained HP" you can have with any of the big three Diesels, pulling 20k? I mean, up/down hill, hot/cold in whatever conditions can ya swing HP?

(Flame Suit On)

Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
I mean, how well can you build a motor and system to be almost stupid proof? I know plenty of folks with DC's, GM's and Fords that push them REALLY hard and don't have jack for gauges...and don't care. These guys run them as hard as possible and don't seem to have many problems?

Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Idaho CTD

Name: Idaho CTD
Title: Maximized Performance Inc
Member`s Gallery
The cooling system is what keeps most from using crazy high hp constantly. Egt's can be controlled with twins. On the Dodge that is usually in the low to mid 400hp range on the stock cooling system.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
Sledpuller

Name: Sledpuller
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The last I towed with twins, I was near 600 HP, racing everything on the hill to the top, and water temp was not an issue, normal, in fact.
You are right EGT was almost totally controlled with the twins, but I did have to back off just a hair nearing the top. A good mile, maybe more, very steep.

Maybe I was only using 400 of the 600 available.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledpuller
The last I towed with twins, I was near 600 HP, racing everything on the hill to the top, and water temp was not an issue, normal, in fact.
You are right EGT was almost totally controlled with the twins, but I did have to back off just a hair nearing the top. A good mile, maybe more, very steep.

Maybe I was only using 400 of the 600 available.
Same here. I've towed 10k with all the boxes on kill on my old twined truck. I know it was using nearly all of it when some unlucky duramax tried to cut me off. I don't think he realized a truck pulling a camper could accelerate up a hill that fast. I'm guessing we played for 2-3 minutes.

bnrando.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
McRat

Name: McRat
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I know that it took 311rwhp to tow at 17,000lb combined up on the I 40 going uphill into Flagstaff (7000'?) at 80 mph. So it should take at least 34,000 lbs to need 600HP while towing up a very steep grade at high altitude at more than the speed limit.
2005 GMC 2500HD "Casper" 197mph+ clocked at Bville. 10.59@130. SuperStreet 3.0 Sledpull winner. Same truck.
2004 GMC 3500 "Big Blue" 13.10@103. Sledpull Winner.

Closed Thread