Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #21
claytoncox

Name: claytoncox
Title: learnin'
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I had a set of P3's. Have a lower tone vs the K5's.
i wanted a set of k5s but i couldnt pass these up for the price. they are mounted to the inside of the frame and between the drive line. its a tight squeeze. they are pointed straight towards the ground.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytoncox View Post
i wanted a set of k5s but i couldnt pass these up for the price. they are mounted to the inside of the frame and between the drive line. its a tight squeeze. they are pointed straight towards the ground.

Yep that's where I've mounted the last 2 sets I've had. The sound coming off the road really amplifies them. You use a brake valve to blow them?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #23
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yep that's where I've mounted the last 2 sets I've had. The sound coming off the road really amplifies them. You use a brake valve to blow them?
i actually broke down and bought one of those fancy chrome brakes valves that comes with a stand.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #24
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i actually broke down and bought one of those fancy chrome brakes valves that comes with a stand.

That's what I had in my other truck but this time I wanted to use the pull cord. I had the chrome stand beside the seat and caught it getting out of the truck a few times. Boy that will wake you up. Lol

Old 03-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #25
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
since its the little things that pop to me i went ahead and made my breathers strapless.

Click the image to open in full size.

cut a full 8' piece of 1/8" plate to fit the frame. Had chase shiver of RLK customs build me a inset air line box with two electrical plug holes for extra wiring that will be done to the trailers i will pull. i have everything to run airlines outthe back as well but i want to be able to hook onto anything. Have a buddy who build industrial tanks and he made a tool box for me that was shallow enough for driveline and fit inbetween the braces.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #26
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That's what I had in my other truck but this time I wanted to use the pull cord. I had the chrome stand beside the seat and caught it getting out of the truck a few times. Boy that will wake you up. Lol
Thats the only thing im worried about. lol My butt has already grabbed it a few times with the stock seat. Can only imagine when i put a low-ride in it. Im going to try to flip the handle upside down. Its funny you say that as i hooked them up to my pull chord first to see how they would sound. The 3/8 hose just didnt have enough umph in it to get the large horn to sound. The 1/2" hose really woke them up though.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #27
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thats the only thing im worried about. lol My butt has already grabbed it a few times with the stock seat. Can only imagine when i put a low-ride in it. Im going to try to flip the handle upside down. Its funny you say that as i hooked them up to my pull chord first to see how they would sound. The 3/8 hose just didnt have enough umph in it to get the large horn to sound. The 1/2" hose really woke them up though.

1/4" line from pull cord to cheap R12 brake valve. 1/2" from tank to valve and valve to horn. Drill a small hole in the 1/4" line right before the valve. Works perfect, unless you don't drill the hole. Then you'll have a bad day.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #28
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
1/4" line from pull cord to cheap R12 brake valve. 1/2" from tank to valve and valve to horn. Drill a small hole in the 1/4" line right before the valve. Works perfect, unless you don't drill the hole. Then you'll have a bad day.
wish i wouldve known that before buying my over priced chrome plated valve

Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #29
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I can vouch for the bad day lol not sure what size hole I drilled in mine to relieve the pressure. Just start small an go larger until it makes a clean cut off. I drilled the fitting.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #30
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
ordered a set of Bada$$ front fenders and got them all put on. These are 4" longer than stock and also have a 4" lip.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #31
98 12valve man.

Name: 98 12valve man.
Title: No farms no Food
Member`s Gallery
Man I'm jealous been wanting to build a 379 like that for a long time, just have to find the work to justify buying one. Hopefully one day. Looks awesome, keep us updated!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #32
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 12valve man. View Post
Man I'm jealous been wanting to build a 379 like that for a long time, just have to find the work to justify buying one. Hopefully one day. Looks awesome, keep us updated!
Thanks man! As of right now i apparently have more work than i can handle when its done. Just hope it stays that way when the time comes for it to finally be on the road

Old 03-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #33
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man! As of right now i apparently have more work than i can handle when its done. Just hope it stays that way when the time comes for it to finally be on the road

What's your final color going to be?

Old 03-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #34
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
I made my front end air ride setup using a loadshare system. removed a spring like 12ga customs and airridebyhorse do. bought a simple electric over air dump valve and wired everything in. I plan on upgrading from 1/8" line to 1/2" from the bags to the dump valve just so it will lower that much faster.

The toggle switch controls the dump.

I had my buddy that made the tool box for my powdercoat the horns green.

And then here is where they are mounted. I think they will hardly be visible by the time the skirts and stacks are added back on.
Drivers side.

passenger side

From the back

Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #35
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What's your final color going to be?
Its going to be synergy geen up top and black on bottom. Maybe a purple pin stripe to offset the two colors. the dash is purple and it will have purple lights under the cab and sleeper when its done.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #36
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
These next few pics are random. I broke my phone and lost alot of pictures so this is what was left.

Water started pouring out the weep hole so a water pump was underway. Tried to save and reuse the plate on the back side. As you can see there was no way, it was simply siezed to the pump.

The back spring bushings. old vs. new

In case your wondering what $2500 worth of tires looks like

It went to the shop after that for jakes to be added. while it was there had a little larger set of pencil nozzles added to it.

i searched and searched and could not find sleeper cowls to match my cab cowls. the rear curves on my sleeper are a hard 90 degree turn instead of the smooth rounded curve. Back to my buddys tank shop and got him to make the smooth curve in the front and harder corner for the back.

Finally pieced together my stack setup. They are just 6". Nothing crazy. They are 13'2" tall when the truck is aired up and also added the pickett elbows

These are just some random pics ive had. The single deck i found sitting and decided to buy since i know i will be hauling livestock when the truck isnt hooked to a flatbed. Its next on the list to re paint. Its a 55' trailer so the combination gets pretty long lol

This is my fathers double. All he does is haul livestock.

Built a bracket that fits over the intercooler and added a 10" spot beam black oak leds light bar and 2 fog light pods on either side.

Last edited by claytoncox; 03-11-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #37
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
I'd say you're gonna wanna get another shock put on the front.
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #38
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
I'd say you're gonna wanna get another shock put on the front.
I have noticed that the other setups utilize two shocks on either side. Im going to try using a good shock and then if i still dont like it i will build a bracket for dual shocks. Has anybody roded in one that has dual shocks that can tell me how much of a difference it made?

Old 03-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #39
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
my 379 build

Quote:
I have noticed that the other setups utilize two shocks on either side. Im going to try using a good shock and then if i still dont like it i will build a bracket for dual shocks. Has anybody roded in one that has dual shocks that can tell me how much of a difference it made?

Ive run an air ride by horse kit. Still run it on the weekends. Made a large difference if you ask me.
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Last edited by BRE; 03-11-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #40
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Every truck I've driven with those double convoluted air bags up front is horrible. Bump steer so bad you can't hold on to the wheel. The newer kits that use the AG400 KW bags seem to be better but still not fun. Every time the truck hits a bump the steering wheel turns. If you try and hold on to it the truck darts all over the road.

You can plumb it however you want but what's wrong with just using a leveling valve so you don't have to adjust the pressure? Friend insisted on using a regulator and he's always messing with it. It's either riding too high or too low.

Closed Thread