3116 white smoke on acceleration

snowman4evr

Hi, we have a recently purchased 1991 kodiak bucket truck with a 3116 and recently it started blowing white on acceleration. Truck starts right up, sounds good, but on acceleration (turning the pto on) the white smoke billows. Has a burnt oil smell to it. Guy we got it from said it had recently been serviced but when we changed the Fuel filters they was in pretty bad shape. I was leaning toward maybe the turbo leaking internally, but wanted to get an expert opinion. thanks (I should also add that when we first got truck, intercooler tube to turbo connection rubber boot was broken all the way around. Replaced this and cant say this is when it started for sure but just wanted to add that)

Ok, I fired it up before I started taking the turbo off today and when I first started it up it wasn't smoking, but after running it about 5 min is when it started, only smoke when you rev it. Took a couple of hours but finally got her off. Definately alot of oil in the exhaust. Turbo wheel felt like it had quite a bit of play maybe a 1/16" not enough to hit the housing but definitely feel it. I never messed with a turbo before, are they fairly easy to rebuild, best place to get a kit from?

Attachments

• 20170617_202901.jpg
    20170617_202901.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170617_202835.jpg
    20170617_202835.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170617_202850.jpg
    20170617_202850.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170617_202841.jpg
    20170617_202841.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170617_202830.jpg
    20170617_202830.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 0
That bad boy needs to go away. You can get a reman from cat that will be assembled and ready to install. You could also contact North American Turbo Systems and see what they can do for you.

Have you looked at the ports on the manifold to see if they are wet or dry?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

3116's have brass injector sleeves that cause all kinds of problems. Sounds like you have combustion gasses getting past the injector seat. This causes it to run just like one that's getting air in the fuel supply line. If you pull the injectors and find one that's coated in blackness, you found the issue.

20170617_202841.jpg

That bad boy needs to go away. You can get a reman from cat that will be assembled and ready to install. You could also contact North American Turbo Systems and see what they can do for you.

Have you looked at the ports on the manifold to see if they are wet or dry?

It appears that there is some oil there, hope thats from the turbo

3116's have brass injector sleeves that cause all kinds of problems. Sounds like you have combustion gasses getting past the injector seat. This causes it to run just like one that's getting air in the fuel supply line. If you pull the injectors and find one that's coated in blackness, you found the issue.

this sounds bad. If this is the case though would she still start and run as good as it does? and if this answer is yes how big a deal is it to pull the injectors? special tools? I have never worked on a cat before just to be honest.

Pulling them is easy. Putting them back is something a trained technician needs to do.

I would expect a hard start if a cup is passing.

Pulling them is easy. Putting them back is something a trained technician needs to do.

I would expect a hard start if a cup is passing.

whew.. that really had me worried there. Thank you for your post. I seen dollar signs. This truck starts better than any vehicle i have had in the past. Just touch the key. Idles smooth. revs right up.

That's not to say it isn't possible, that's just my expectation.

White smoke is delayed fuel combustion, which can range between a fueling issue and a cylinder condition. Or both.

The amount of oil on the inlet of that turbo leads me to believe there is an engine issue. We can get you fixed up with a modern gated replacement for that old turd of a turbo as well.

The amount of oil on the inlet of that turbo leads me to believe there is an engine issue. We can get you fixed up with a modern gated replacement for that old turd of a turbo as well.

yeah, thats what worries me. there was about an 1" of crud built up on the exhaust pipe side of the turbo charger that I got chipped off. You can hear the turbo whine when engine is running but does have some play and dont seem to spin as free as what I would think it should but what do I know. I went to your website, didnt see no email contact. mine is a 7E5200 or from what i have researched a S2BS012 is the schwitzer#. When you say gated, what does that mean?

Back