Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
TwiztedMetal

Name: TwiztedMetal
Title: cummins crusaider
Member`s Gallery
Post Truck comparison?

Ok guys, say someone randomly came on the site and wanted a comparison of the big three's 3/4 ton trucks. I think in this thread if people could put forth some input on one or all of the brands.

Please, I would like Unbiased, NONBASHING input. List the weak, the strong, the grey areas and all in between.

Thanks guys!
Dom

2001 audi A4 grocery getter, tune, intake, exhaust

Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
TwiztedMetal

Member`s Gallery
also, please state the make, model, Trim, Transmission, 4x4 or 2x4, mileage where fault, breakage, carnage, etc occured (if any), mileage now, how much parts cost etc (if you repair them yourself, or if you keep track of the recepts when you get work done).

thank you very much!
Dom

Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
98.5 thru 02 Dodge's with 24V Cummins.

Bodies and interiors are fair to good, some squeak issues but they can be addressed or ignored. Seats are comfy but tend to "give" with everyday use.

Motor, if you can keep the VP44 supplied with fuel it's not that bad, if you don't it will run you about $1300 give or take $100 to replace the injector pump. Upgrade parts are very plentiful and not that costly, thye also yield great results, this is a motor that likes to make power and seems to be really happy in the 350HP range as a daily driver or tow rig.

Tranny, a stock motor and auto tranny will last a long time, add more than a light upgrade to the motor you need to look at tranny upgrades soon as possible. As with the motor upgrades there are a bunchaton of folks offering upgraded trannies. The manuals are simply outstanding IMHO, the NV4500 and NV5600 are tough as nails and have proven themselves capable of withstanding some serious abuse. Only issues I know of is the fifth gear nut on the NV4500 and a weak stock clutch and 6th gear synchro on the NV5600. I have heard that towing with the NV5600 at 400+Hp levels is not reccomended, tends to be bad on the rear output bearing.

Axles and T-case, Dana 60 up front for all. Automatic trucks have a 70 rear. One tons use the 80 and the stick shift trucks use a 80 hybrid which is the center section from the 80 mated to roughly the same shafts and tubes as the 70. NP241 t-case, good unit and came in two different flavors, light and heavy duty, difference is the HD unit has a PTO out and a bit heavier chain assembly.

The front ball joints are known for failing often due to the poundage they are carrying, rest of the front end components do tend to wear out and cause a bad case of wanderlust Most notorious is the tracbar, but again, there are fixes available.

Feel free to add to and/or correct this folks, all of the top of my head and others have different opinions.

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 11-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
02 dodge4x4 5.9

Name: 02 dodge4x4 5.9
Title: Not Through Yet
Member`s Gallery
hmm well thats enough for now billy

06 3500 4x4 4dr Chevrolet Duramax
Looking for a hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDuval View Post
The mass MEDIA only reports what the SHEEP NEED to hear. The TRUTH doesn't make good news.
GARMONS DIESEL PERFORMANCE
(404-557-4972)

Old 11-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
Wyatt Earp

Name: Wyatt Earp
Title: Owner / Diesel Geek
Member`s Gallery
I'm a dodge fan but I'd have to say that I wouldn't be so kind on the stock auto tranny. Every exp. I've had with one is poor. They gear hunt, are loud and tend to be very sloppy.

The ride can be a bit harsh in a short box and the power steering pump seals are crap and can go (just after the warranty expires...)

Sticking to the NV5600 you can't go wrong but there really isn't a decent OD gear. The addition of a HD splitter would do wonders as would the addition of a real OD. Great mileage, takes lots of abuse. They tend to be a bit on the noisy side in stock configuration.
Diesel Luxury: Not Paid For: 2008 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI - Loaded, 7spd AWD, 7 seater wagon.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
alldiesels

Name: alldiesels
Title: Alldiesels
Member`s Gallery
03-07 superduty's, with teh 6.0 and auto trans, they motorhas some issues but can be easily fixed and made strong for cheep, the trans are about the toughest you can get stock, good frame, good body. The front hubs kinda suck, seats are ok but could be more comfortable, don't ride bad, and like i said, good motor except week factory headbolt design and egr crap.

cheby's with the d-max
motor's run good, factory trans is good until you add a deacent amount of mods, interior is like a caddy, they ride great, get good fuel economy. Only problems i have seen are electrical stuff going out, trans, and they sit to low in my openion for a work truck, great truck for someone who drives alot of highway miles
robert
It's all about the 6.0

Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
CookCR

Name: CookCR
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
2003-2006 dodge good body, good frame, great interior(really improved it, much more creature comforts without rattles). Had a starter go out on mine though. Engines good! Lots of injector problems, expecially when adding pressure box's. The nv5600 is suposed to be great but the G56 ive heard some problems, not on reliability but on the way they shift and their ratios. The autos are still junk even though their supposed to be better. Stock im sure their fine but not with mods. Front end and suspension seem to work great, some have said they have woble...oh their tailgates suck!!!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
TwiztedMetal

Member`s Gallery
Thank you all! please keep your opinion, and experiances coming!

Dom

Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
MD-LUCKY

Name: MD-LUCKY
Title: Difficult To Pronounce...
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billysgoat
98.5 thru 02 Dodge's with 24V Cummins.

Feel free to add to and/or correct this folks, all of the top of my head and others have different opinions.

From 98.5 and on up to about 2001.5 there is a chance of encountering a "53" Block (although some people have had the 53 block in 02 trucks). The 53 Block is a different casting that came from Brazil, versus castings that came from Mexico. I have read that only 1 in 5 blocks are NOT a 53 block. This block has a thinner sidewall on the passenger side and can SOMETIMES crack, causing coolant to leak down the side of the block. To check if you have a 53 block, go to the driver side and look at the block behind the vacuum pump/power steering pump combination for a large (approximately 2") casting of the number 53.

98.5 - 02 Dodges equipped with the NV4500 5-speed transmission may have the 5th gear retaining nut work off the spline, allowing 5th gear to drop. This will cause you to lose 5th gear, although all other gears will work. There are several repairs available, including a splined shaft and welding a retainer to the gear.

Early NV5600 6-speed transmissions have a smaller input shaft then the later editions (98-99 early vs 00-02 later). This is important to note when shopping for a replacement clutch, and adding horsepower.

01.5 and 02 trucks are the most desirable VP44 equip trucks for several reasons. 1 major improvement over previous years was the addition of disk brakes in the rear. Also, 01.5 and 02 trucks use a computer controlled cruise control, where 01 and prior trucks use vacuum readings. With the addition of chips or injectors in 01 and prior trucks, the cruise control will tend to "surge" around the set speed. There are several remedies for surging cruise control, including resetting the cruise (leave batteries off all night, then go out and set cruise take off set cruise take off over and over about 15 times) to adding a restrictor in the vacuum line (I have heard of people using the spray hose from WD40 cans).

Those are the only additions I would have made.

Closed Thread