Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #21
tornado112

Name: tornado112
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I just rebuilt my 12valve and so far zero leaks. I used a mahle kit and all the gaskets were included and good quality. The only gaskets that were wrong were the injectors copper washers. They were way to big. On all the gaskets I used permatex to glue the gasket down. I think this is especially helpful on the areas like the timing cover gasket and oil pan , where just the plain gasket will want to walk around.
94 Regular Cab Intake 5x12 Contagious Injectors 4kGSK and 60lb springs Adjustable Pump Gear and Timing Cover Auto Meter Steering Box Brace Sphon Adjustable Trac Bar Sphon Sway Bar Links Vision 19.5 Michelin 265-75-19.5 MegaTREK

Old 02-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #22
tornado112

Name: tornado112
Member`s Gallery
permatex

permatex.jpg
94 Regular Cab Intake 5x12 Contagious Injectors 4kGSK and 60lb springs Adjustable Pump Gear and Timing Cover Auto Meter Steering Box Brace Sphon Adjustable Trac Bar Sphon Sway Bar Links Vision 19.5 Michelin 265-75-19.5 MegaTREK

Old 03-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #23
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMITTY View Post
He's putting the motor in a 54' power wagon. He wants it extra clean. I'm sure if it drips from the breather hose a little he can throw a catch can on...
So, avoid the problem altogether, vent it to the exhaust pipe.

Weld a tee into the exhaust, at an angle to the pipe, to route the CC vent tube to. Done right, the exhaust flow creates a vacuum to pull the oil into the exhaust and the heat from the exhaust burns the oil residue, a win win.
It works much the way some sandblasters do, air pressure streaming past a hole creates a vacuum, which in turn pulls sand into the air stream.

No leaks on the floor and, as I mentioned, the heat from the exhaust takes care of the evidence.

People do this in a lot of drag race applications, where oiling the track can be a big deal.

Mark.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #24
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
So, avoid the problem altogether, vent it to the exhaust pipe.

Weld a tee into the exhaust, at an angle to the pipe, to route the CC vent tube to. Done right, the exhaust flow creates a vacuum to pull the oil into the exhaust and the heat from the exhaust burns the oil residue, a win win.
It works much the way some sandblasters do, air pressure streaming past a hole creates a vacuum, which in turn pulls sand into the air stream.

No leaks on the floor and, as I mentioned, the heat from the exhaust takes care of the evidence.

People do this in a lot of drag race applications, where oiling the track can be a big deal.

Mark.

Venturi is the name of what you are describing if he wants to google ...

Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #25
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
I was thinking about running it to the exhaust on my own truck instead of a catch can. It mentioned it to the owner also. Thanks

Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #26
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Vacuum pump!
This!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #27
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
To each his own, I guess.

Mark.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #28
Destroked 450

Name: Destroked 450
Member`s Gallery
Venting through the exhaust works pretty good on open exhaust engines running high rpm's.
Not so well at low rpm's or with mufflers.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #29
JariV

Name: JariV
Title: Business Owner
Member`s Gallery
No need to buy such parts, ugly as hell. Connect a radiator hose to your oil fill cap tube and run that to a catch canister without diminishing the hose diameter at any point, thus keeping the crankcase fume travel velocity down. The hose needs to point directly up from the oil fill and preferably routed at the same height level as the valve covers and then plunging down to the can. Done this many times, always works.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #30
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Radiator hose running the full length on top of the engine.
Looks ugly as hell.

Mark.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #31
JariV

Member`s Gallery
No, running it next to the actual upper radiator hose towards inner fender. It only needs to go up and then go down. Who said anything about any full lengths? This is basic physics, nothing more.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #32
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Still would stick out like a sore thumb and be...
Ugly as hell.
But to each his own.

Mark.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #33
JariV

Member`s Gallery
Do you think that these toilet seat -looking valve cover thingys look better? Think not.

Like you said, to each his own. My customers have not complaind, on the contrary. And I'm not even trying to sell anything here.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #34
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroked 450 View Post
Venting through the exhaust works pretty good on open exhaust engines running high rpm's.
Not so well at low rpm's or with mufflers.
I put a venturi on mine, angle cut, welded at the right angle, even had the little flute moroso puts on the end of theirs. On a muffler system, it will only produce vacuum over 2500 rpm. I put a cap on it and never plumbed it to the engine.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 03-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #35
Destroked 450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JariV View Post
No need to buy such parts, ugly as hell. Connect a radiator hose to your oil fill cap tube and run that to a catch canister without diminishing the hose diameter at any point, thus keeping the crankcase fume travel velocity down. The hose needs to point directly up from the oil fill and preferably routed at the same height level as the valve covers and then plunging down to the can. Done this many times, always works.
A couple of questions.
1: How do you put oil in? Do you have to remove the hose from the oil fill each time you need oil, that would be a pain.
2: Whats the can for? If it's to catch oil you haven't fixed anything.

Personally I think these improve the looks of a 12v.
Very few drips from the old worn out engine, zero drips from this new engine so far.
Not shown is the hose that routes over the side down to just below the oil pan rail

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #36
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Destroked_450, Love your "toilet seats"!
Great looking set up AND no radiator hoses or catch cans!

Mark.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #37
JariV

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroked 450 View Post
A couple of questions.
1: How do you put oil in? Do you have to remove the hose from the oil fill each time you need oil, that would be a pain.
2: Whats the can for? If it's to catch oil you haven't fixed anything.
1. Well you need to remove the oil filler cap to pour oil in, so why is it such a pain to remove a hose that would not even need to be secured tight?

2. Yes, the can is for the escaped oil if it came through. I've got a customer vehicle that has 400k miles and has lots of blow-by. He has not catched anything in the can during first two years of heavy everyday work truck use.

Your last sentence quoted here doesn't make any sense. In the first place, if your engine has so much crankcase pressure that you need to start to make this kind of improvements to the engine then to me it is just dodging the facts that the engine needs a rebuild. When a 12V is in good shape and form, it does not need any of this crap unless it's a race engine.

This ugly gizmo here and the way I've done it are just two different ways of prolonging a life of a tired engine, attacking the same basic problem. Another question, why is it better to burn this escaped engine oil than catching it?

Old 03-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #38
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
JariV do you have a pic ?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #39
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've got a customer vehicle that has 400k miles and has lots of blow-by.
Lots of blowby with only 400k? You ought to introduce him to a better air filter.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #40
Destroked 450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
1. Well you need to remove the oil filler cap to pour oil in, so why is it such a pain to remove a hose that would not even need to be secured tight?

2. Yes, the can is for the escaped oil if it came through. I've got a customer vehicle that has 400k miles and has lots of blow-by. He has not catched anything in the can during first two years of heavy everyday work truck use.

Your last sentence quoted here doesn't make any sense. In the first place, if your engine has so much crankcase pressure that you need to start to make this kind of improvements to the engine then to me it is just dodging the facts that the engine needs a rebuild. When a 12V is in good shape and form, it does not need any of this crap unless it's a race engine.

This ugly gizmo here and the way I've done it are just two different ways of prolonging a life of a tired engine, attacking the same basic problem. Another question, why is it better to burn this escaped engine oil than catching it?
1 I don't normally install a radiator style hose that fits loosely over the pipe so when I put a hose on it doesn't just slid back off, but I now understand what your doing although it won't work on my truck. During the conversion to simplify the top rad hose install we eliminated the front fill.

2 You simply stated installing a hose and catch can without saying how well the hose worked at keeping oil out of the catch can.

3 Talk about not making since, Rather than installing my vented valve covers and plugging the factory vent I should have rebuilt my old engine but it's ok for you to install a hose vent and catch can on a customers 400k mile engine with lots of blowby.
My old engine did not have lots of blowby but it was loosing some oil out the factory vent tube (something nearly every 12v owner complains about). I installed the vented vc's to see if it would slow down the oil lose. The vc's took care of the oil lose out the vent but didn't effect the nearly 400 mile per qrt of oil consumption, when the head gasket started leaking I decided rather than patch it I'd do a full rebuild.

Lastly, I never called your setup ugly, I only questioned removing the hose to add oil and the reason for the catch can.
You called my setup ugly as hell (your opinion).
Also who's burning escaped oil?
The baffling in the vented covers does a excellent job of separating the oil from the vented gases returning it to the oil pan where it's needed.

Don't let the photo of the pretty engine fool you, this Cummins powered Ford earns it's keep.

^ 25k lbs gross^

^31k lbs gross^

^Work truck engine^

Now I don't think you can argue that this beats the h--- out of a 6.0

Last edited by Destroked 450; 03-28-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Closed Thread