PACBRAKE JakeBrake on a PPump 24v

Looking at in on a bigger screen, it sure seems like it is just holding the exhaust valve open for the whole time. If that's the case, I doubt if it'd work well without the vgt providing back pressure.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

If it is holding the exhaust valve open the whole time, it isn't a true Jake brake then.

I was hoping for a true Jake.

Tobin

A true Jake would be cool but on the flip side, Jakes tend to require more maintinence than exhaust brakes. Also, if a Jake is not tuned properly its nothing but a noise maker.

I've had way more problems with exhaust brakes than Jake's.

A true Jake would be cool but on the flip side, Jakes tend to require more maintinence than exhaust brakes. Also, if a Jake is not tuned properly its nothing but a noise maker.

And that is 90% of the reason I want one. LOL

For sure I agree there, if it just holds exh valves open continuous, that's not an engine brake. It would have to release compression to the exhaust to absorb piston inertia. Bye passing cylinder compression alltogether, is not braking the engine.

Ive only seen it on my phone as of yet. It's a small picture.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I've had way more problems with exhaust brakes than Jake's.

Maybe you should try a different brand exhaust brake! ;)
And that is 90% of the reason I want one. LOL
I knew someone was going to say that! :hehe:
For sure I agree there, if it just holds exh valves open continuous, that's not an engine brake. It would have to release compression to the exhaust to absorb piston inertia. Bye passing cylinder compression alltogether, is not braking the engine.

Ive only seen it on my phone as of yet. It's a small picture.

By bypassing cylinder compression, back pressure is raised, making the exhaust brake more effective. That is most likely why the magazine article didn't elaborate on the performance of the LeashBrake alone!

It is a true Jake...It holds the exhaust valves open...Thats what Jakes do. It has a oil supply that provides the energy to hold the valve open. Just like the big boys.

A real Jake holds the exhaust valve open at a very specific time, this just holds it open for the whole cycle.

A real Jake holds the exhaust valve open at a very specific time, this just holds it open for the whole cycle.

Yep, it releases the stored energy off the compression stroke.

Tobin

Maybe you should try a different brand exhaust brake! ;)

I knew someone was going to say that! :hehe:

By bypassing cylinder compression, back pressure is raised, making the exhaust brake more effective. That is most likely why the magazine article didn't elaborate on the performance of the LeashBrake alone!

Sounds like that nails it right there.

It is a true Jake...It holds the exhaust valves open...Thats what Jakes do. It has a oil supply that provides the energy to hold the valve open. Just like the big boys.

Sorry John, It's not.
A compression brake releases compression right before the engine goes over TDC, That way it has the resistance of compression to provide braking horsepower. It uses an exhaust valve yes, but doesn't just hold it open.

You can't hold the exhaust valve open the whole time without an exhaust brake. If you did you would have a compression release, and the engine would freewheel easier than just letting off the gas.

? I m sure what u r talking about ? I've never seen that .. I'm not looking to argue but I have personally installed at least 20 true jake brand jakes in the cat 3406 a b & c models as well as a few on the cummins bc 3 & 4. All those worked from a trigger switch on the pedal & held the valve open ...there was no way with the mechanical motors to have a " timed" event on the exhaust , heck I could sit there with the valve cover off & manually energize the solonoid .... I hope this helps

? I m sure what u r talking about ? I've never seen that .. I'm not looking to argue but I have personally installed at least 20 true jake brand jakes in the cat 3406 a b & c models as well as a few on the cummins bc 3 & 4. All those worked from a trigger switch on the pedal & held the valve open ...there was no way with the mechanical motors to have a " timed" event on the exhaust , heck I could sit there with the valve cover off & manually energize the solonoid .... I hope this helps

On a cat they time off of an exhaust valve that's opening on a separate cylinder. On a mechanical Cummins they time on the injector rocker.

Still waiting to hear when they will let some one install their own Brake. Looking to use one on a 24vp with a vnt turbo... last i heard is pacbrake won't let people do self installs. als head studs don't clear stock.. may need to do some machining to fit over head studs...

Just emailed them my application. I guess that's one way to see what it is. God knows I tow enough weight to justify the thing.

Looking at the info online, it looks like it holds a valve open slightly to basically create an orifice to force the compression air through before the combustion stroke. No compression brake like a big engine, but it should make a difference with the already impressive braking of the VGT!

Chris

Chris

Back