Is a 271 swap on a 2nd gen worth it for pulling?

Is the 271 swap worth it for a 2nd gen for PULLING?

• Total voters

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I've heard differing opinions about which is stronger, 271 is bigger, but sometimes bigger isnt always stronger.

i currently have a 271 sitting in the garage to go in my truck, but I really wanna sell off some extra parts to have money for another truck (12 valve) so i need to decide if its worth the money i'll spend modifying the driveshafts, or if I should just sell the 271 and keep my trusty 241DLD that works fine.

Definately get rid of the 241DLD case as soon as possible. I broke my 241DHD just from tooling around on the trails. Not a very reliable or strong unit compared to the 271 IMO at all. The 271 case is the beast of them all and I am very happy I went with it instead of repairing my 241. A rebuilt 271 is $500 cheaper than a rebuilt 241 from Transfer Case Express in Oakland as well. The 271 has just about double the load capacity of the 241DHD.

Joe

The 271 is alot stronger, but still cheaper than the 241DHD. The 241DLD is pretty easy to snap, I would change it out and sell it while it is still in one piece.

ditto, I broke my DLD in a snow drift. The 271 fits very well and I wont have to worry about breaking it! A lot cheaper too.

well we will see, i may have sold it already and i could use the cash to put towards another truck. if the deal falls through then i will work on getting them swapped out and a new rear DS made.

Your truck should not have come with a DLD being a manual trans from the factory.. weird....

I would definately keep the 271.. thats what I run. I broke a 241DLD just spooling up when the front Driveshaft let loose.

the only 5 people in the country that have broke t-case's are here.

if your 231/241 is not broken it is not worth the change. if it is, then i would change it. rebuild the 231/241 and you could probably sell it to pay for the change.

i put a ford 271 in my truck, all i needed was an input shaft that the dodge dealer sold, $120 or so.

Back in the day when I first started pulling, JR Adkins said to not even hook to the sled if you had a DLD tcase.

yea well I'll keep my opinion of JR adkins to myself, but there are 100's of guys out there with DLD's that hook and yes some break, but so do DHD's and 271's?

Mine is not an HD t-case because the original owner didnt order it and I can tell because it doesn't have a PTO cover.

The NV241D is a heavier duty Dodge version of the 241, with a larger input shaft and larger bearings to withstand the torque of the V10 and diesel engines.

The NV241HD, an option on Ram 2500's and standard on Ram 3500's built after 1998, has a stronger case and wider drive chain to better withstand the shock of snow plow service, a PTO cover and drive gear, and an extra bearing to support the thrust to the main shaft created by a PTO adapter.

Bobcat698 said:
Your truck should not have come with a DLD being a manual trans from the factory.. weird....

my truck has the DLD. Buddies 97 12V 5sp has DLD also. i guess ill see how long the output shaft holds. it took about 800 hp to breaks the out put on another buddies.

kinda stupid, manual trans and you get the D80, but not the 241HD. wtf

I have seen plenty of LD's break under 500HP when a sled is applied to a truck with no bars. Axle Wrap + 1000ft lbs dragging a sled + 1 good bounce = a broken output shaft.

I broke the output shaft on my 241 and swapped to the 271 and and a friend of mine just broke his 214 last weekend. The shaft on a 241 is 1"1/8 the 271 is 1"7/8. If you don't put it in your current truck save it and put it in the 12v.

TJ

Yup finally broke mine this weekend too, broke the output like the other TJ did. 271 is in and waiting on the slip yoke to come in.

I kept my slip yoke because I am going to a one piece drive shaft in the future and i will need it.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

aw that aint that bad just jb weld it back together and call it good lol on the slip yoke comeing out of the t case if it has a balancer ring get rid of it mine let loose and ended up cracking my output case on the tranny

Back