Tool website? Drill presses, mills, lathes

99GreenCummins

That guy....
Is there a website/forum for that kind of stuff. Just looking for some older used stuff for the farm shop. Been watching Craigslist and missed a couple, just wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks guys.

Join the garage journal and check out the classifieds/wanted forum. There is a lot of inventory available there.

I like practical machinist. Kind of the compd of the machining world. They won't listen to bullchit.

Craigslist is the best place for affordable old iron though. Just get an app that updates you when somebody posts something with the criteria you set. I got my old South Bend 16 lathe on there for $1200. Almost new condition out of Warsaw high schools metal shop. They are out there and not everybody thinks their wore out POS bridgeport is worth $5k still. It is frustrating looking for basic old equipment sometimes.

I picked up both my mill and my lathe from Craigslist. Both were pretty sweet deals and both were a mad dash to beat some one else from getting them. The lathe was found by a friend actually and he called and did the negotiations for me since I was in Florida at the time.

It is very hard to find a good deal. When you do, you have to act quick. Even at the auctions people are throwing cash at them in crazy amounts.

Finally able to pick up a lathe on Monday. Bridgeport 48" bed with 26" swing and tooling for $500. In great shape. Sold cheap because it's 3 phase and no one wanted

Now to find a mill and drill press

Last edited:
How big is the motor (Horsepower)? Mine is 3 horse 3 phase and I run a 5hp phase converter on a 220V 20 amp breaker and it works great! I certainly wouldn't walk away from that deal.

Coulda bought yourself a mill for $500 yesterday at the auction I was at. Nice Enco with very very little use on it. I would have bought it myself if there was no way to load it.

Kraft auctions is having some machine shop auctions throughout the summer they said. May get on their site and check it out.

Back