Orings for compounds cold pipe discharge.

blackmega3500

So I've got the stainless diesel setup, but one of the clamps I originally got from them when new grenaded at the T-bolt strap and the o-ring said bye bye somewhere on the Houston highway.

The "issue" you could say is outside of standard Cummins OEM orings, are their any preferences for these and from who? I still use a replacement stainless brand one, just wasn't sure if anyone out there makes better quality.

Secondly for the guys that have run a standard primary cover and a race cover, what differences regarding pressures and response were noticed?

With this heavy a$$ truck currently running an 64.5sxe 80/73 .91 T4 fed by the standard cover 6 blade 480 and the Hamilton 188/220 CAM the response is incredible and drive pressure is not an issue at all. I'm at 10psi boost cruising at 1400 rpms, and the primary likes to come on around 1900rpms then I'm around 40psi and will break loose all 4 rears from 3-6 if not cautious daily driving.. BUT! The 64.5 is so responsive my primary pressure pressure is being eaten alive reducing compounding. So should I throw a race cover on to open up volume, or fuel harder with standard cover?

is your goal a slower spooling secondary and more boost from the primary?

-if so does the secondary have a gate?

-I don't think a race cover on the secondary will make any kind of difference in primary boost

-if you don't have a gate, you could put a 1.0 housing on the s3 to get better exhaust to the primary

is your goal a slower spooling secondary and more boost from the primary?

-if so does the secondary have a gate?

-I don't think a race cover on the secondary will make any kind of difference in primary boost

-if you don't have a gate, you could put a 1.0 housing on the s3 to get better exhaust to the primary

Been there done all that. Lol

The turbine on the 80/73 sxe wheel design moves air just aswell as an s400 83mm so not trying to worry about the exhaust side. In addition the turbine would flow 1:1 at 72psi of boost when the setup had the 69sxe and a .91 T4 which was close to my fueling limits as i was struggling to make 1200* even and that was with 25psi from the secondary. Put the 1.0 on with the 64.5, but wanted a slightly sooner power band. The .91 gave me about 300rpms sooner, which dropped the primary pressure some to about 18-20psi. Truck pulls much harder than the 69sxe setup did, largely I believe as result of cleaning up sooner.

Goal wise continue to have a solid 800hp build, just checking to see if the added flow volume on the low end spool from the primary wpuld be worth switching to a race cover on the primary.

Last edited:
Question for ya. Are you 100% positive the oring got blown out and not sucked in? I had that happen with an oring on my interstate piping. Ate up the secondary compressor wheel pretty bad, didn’t really notice it performance wise which is what’s crazy...

Just thought you might check it if you haven’t already.

Kris

Question for ya. Are you 100% positive the oring got blown out and not sucked in? I had that happen with an oring on my interstate piping. Ate up the secondary compressor wheel pretty bad, didn’t really notice it performance wise which is what’s crazy...

Just thought you might check it if you haven’t already.

Kris

Yeah that happened actually awhile back on a different occasion when the o-ring shifted and didn't seat correctly. In my case the o-ring was turned into molten sludge and smeared all over the compressor, plate, and housing..... brake cleaned the piss out of it and everything looked like new.

I was looking around the interwebs on other turbo specific forums and some folks like to actually make their own o-ring put of copper line, or add copper spray/ rtv for added seal.

Back