Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
thisguy65

Name: thisguy65
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Flexplate clamping ring?

Gathering parts to finally put motor and transmission together and I know in the OEM application there is a clamping ring that goes on top of the flex plate.

Since I don't currently have a flexplate was going to pick up one of the cheaper $150-ish SFI approve flex plates. However I'm not sure if the clamping ring is still used? I assume the clamping ring was used to help prevent the cracking/break of the flex plate around the mounting bolt holes.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Levi_plummer

Name: Levi_plummer
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I just recently installed an sfi approved flexplate from phil taylor at DPC and did not use the ring. I was just thinking with the ring it would lose that much more thread engagement in the crankshaft and figured it was pretty thick already.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
I believe the use of the ring is for 2 reasons:

1. So the assembly was less hassle, no washers to worry with.
2. To preclude the bolts from digging into the flex plate and causing cracking, which they did anyway, but not around, or because of, the bolts.

I'd always run something between the bolt head and the flex plate, or flyweel on these trucks and I'd recommend loc-titing them in, too.

Mark.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
I believe the use of the ring is for 2 reasons:

1. So the assembly was less hassle, no washers to worry with.
2. To preclude the bolts from digging into the flex plate and causing cracking, which they did anyway, but not around, or because of, the bolts.

I'd always run something between the bolt head and the flex plate, or flyweel on these trucks and I'd recommend loc-titing them in, too.

Mark.
Agreed, red loctite and either ARP fasteners or new OEM ones. I put on OEM's last time because ARP's were out of stock everywhere and haven't had an issue.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
thisguy65

Name: thisguy65
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I need to find a clamping plate. I'm starting from zero for a off the wall build. (49 Ford F-1 rat rod)

Closed Thread