Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Big O

Name: Big O
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
6.0 Oil Pressure Guage drops to zero at idle.

Hey guys! I have a late 04' 6.0 L Powerstroke. Last night, all of a sudden, my in dash oil pressure gauge began dropping to nothing when the truck is at idle. As soon as you touch the throttle, it goes back to showing normal. Also, since this has happened, the truck has been a lot harder to start. My local mechanic seems to think it may be the low pressure oil pump. But a new LPOP was put in just a little over a year and about 50,000 miles ago. Could this be my problem, and if so, what might be causing it to fail. Thanks for any help ya'll can give me.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
Mo Smoke

Name: Mo Smoke
Title: It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere
Member`s Gallery
Check oil level and make sure you have the correct filter (there are 2 different ones for the 6.0) last put a gauge on it.

PCS 4R100 Techie

Destroked Dealer

Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Big O

Name: Big O
Member`s Gallery
Oil level is good and filter is the same Motorcraft filter i have always run. FL-2016 i think. Gonna check pressure with a manual gauge tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
CATmech945

Name: CATmech945
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Why did they have to replace the low pressure pump the last time? Was there an existing problem that got overlooked that caused the last one to fail?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Bobus

Name: Bobus
Title: Powerstroked
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Smoke View Post
Check oil level and make sure you have the correct filter (there are 2 different ones for the 6.0) last put a gauge on it.
Whats the differce in the 2 oil filters?

'11 F350 6.7l 4x4 CC LB
'00 Excursion 12v Cummins 4x4

Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Mo Smoke

Member`s Gallery
Filters are the same size but
Product Line: NAPA Filters
Comments: w/ Oil Filter Housing Containing a Spring Loaded Long Post;w/ Housing Lid Attached
Per Car Qty.: 1
Product Line: NAPA Filters
Comments: w/ Oil Filter Housing Containing a Short Post With No Spring;w/o Housing Lid

The lid's pop off so dont let that be the deciding factor

PCS 4R100 Techie

Destroked Dealer

Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
strokin6L

Name: strokin6L
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Napa filters are the same as the carquest filters....they're both made by wix. I was at a powerstroke diesel seminar this past summer and the powerstroke tech said that the aftermarket filtera are not the same size as the ford motorcraft filters even though might look like it. the wix filters(napa, carquest) come with a new cap on the filter, but if you were to set the wix filter w/attatched cap next to the ford filter with the factory cap clipped to the top of it...the wix setup is actually shorter than the ford filter and cap setup. This is because ford has a patent on their filter setup we were told and that noone can copy the exact measurements of it. So this is why wix and others had to compensate and make their setup just a smidge shorter, but still look identical to the naked eye. He said this is why so many have had issues after using aftermarket filters for a cerain period of time. There were a bunch of independent shops that were at this seminar and they totally agreed. After they switched to ford oil and fuel filters they had no more trucks coming through the shop with the previous problems.
2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4, SCT, 5" stacks, AFE, LIPD regulated return fuel system, hypermax fire rings, ARP's, water injection, CFM+ large mouth, Casserly 190's, spearco, fluidampr, FASS 150/95 and fuelab pump, Modded FICM(ID), TP 64mm turbo(polished compressor housing)

Old 01-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
finishline mach

Name: finishline mach
Member`s Gallery
AMEN Brother, USE the FORD filters period!!!! The aftermarket filters don't operate the
check valve at the bottom of the housing correctly - SO it doesn't seal and your oil drains back meaning you have a hard-start situation because there is no oil to fire injectors.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
oldsmokey97

Name: oldsmokey97
Member`s Gallery
just fixed one last week that was hard to start, and had very little low pressure oil. Pulled lpop out and front cover and pump was fine.
pulled hpop out and found the problem. On the side of the hpop, there is a drilled passage that has a ball in it to plug it off. You can see it in the side of the pump. Anyways that ball was missing so all the low pressure oil was leaking out right there. New hpop and good to go
Lance

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
strokin6L

Name: strokin6L
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmokey97 View Post
just fixed one last week that was hard to start, and had very little low pressure oil. Pulled lpop out and front cover and pump was fine.
pulled hpop out and found the problem. On the side of the hpop, there is a drilled passage that has a ball in it to plug it off. You can see it in the side of the pump. Anyways that ball was missing so all the low pressure oil was leaking out right there. New hpop and good to go
Lance
So where did the ball go then? It couldn't have just up and disappeared.
2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4, SCT, 5" stacks, AFE, LIPD regulated return fuel system, hypermax fire rings, ARP's, water injection, CFM+ large mouth, Casserly 190's, spearco, fluidampr, FASS 150/95 and fuelab pump, Modded FICM(ID), TP 64mm turbo(polished compressor housing)

Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
hhrecovery

Name: hhrecovery
Member`s Gallery
it goes down into the engine... I just did one about 3 weeks ago w/ the EXACT same problems....

Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
Countryboy07

Name: Countryboy07
Member`s Gallery
My gauge drops to zero at idle as well, but I don't have a hard start issue. Once I touch the throttle, it jumps back to normal. I bypassed the sensor and stuck a ground wire directly into the female plug and it stays at normal like it is supposed to while idling now. I wonder if I may just have a ground issue, or if I have the same problem the OP has just without the hard start....

Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
texascadillac42

Name: texascadillac42
Member`s Gallery
Sounds to me like your oil pressure switch is bad.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #14
Mo Smoke

Member`s Gallery
Put a real gauge on it and see what the actual pressure is.

PCS 4R100 Techie

Destroked Dealer

Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
On the subject of oil filters...use only Motorcraft filters. That being said, look at the tube that is inside the filter canister, if there is an external spring near the top it's the new style, if not you need to whip out $45 and replace it. Also check the little button in the center of the tube at the top, if it's not spring loaded you need to replace the tube assy. this little button seals a hole in the top of the oil filter and makes the filter do it's job. Good link below.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=47563

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Last edited by LReiff; 03-08-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #16
Paintingman

Name: Paintingman
Member`s Gallery
Did you ever get this figured out.
I had a similar problem no oil pressure at idle and hard to start turned out to be some o-ring coming apart on the HPOP and clogging the return screen
58v FICM from Swamps diesel/SCT X3 innovative diesel
MBRP turbo back duals/ATS intercooler
Amsoil bypass/coolant filter/Fluidamper

Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
Extended Power

Name: Extended Power
Member`s Gallery
Low oil pressure usually throws a code, doesn't it? Along with the SES light? And if you didn't have any pressure, the truck won't even fire the injectors...I guess that is where the hard to start comes from...

If It Ain't Broke...Fix It Until It Is!!!

Closed Thread