12.7 detroit info

gwhammy

I'm looking at a 06 sterling with a 12.7 Detroit with 840,000 miles to make a dump truck out of. It's a single axle 10 speed. I know nothing about Detroits. This would be clipped and tandem spring or Hendrix suspension put under it. I've done this in the past so the fab work is not a problem. Any info on the sterling trucks or these motors would be appreciated. I also only put around 5000 miles a year on a truck.

How many miles will these motors go? The guy I talked to said it had a little blow by. How hard is it to delete these motors?

I'm also looking at a 98 m11 with a 9 sp. Super low miles with a 9 sp for around the same money. Single axle also.

Are you positive it has a dpf? Being a 06 it could likely just have egr, which is just a reprogram to take care of.

Sterlings are cheap but they turn like a car, I used to drive a Ford for a guy and that thing would turn inside of itself. However, you could see daylight through all the door gaps at 350k. It had the Hendrickson air ride and got around off road really well. The 12.7 is a great motor and they run real well with a tune, it shouldn't have anything but egr in 06.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Egr is what it will have. I've had real good luck with the m11 truck I have just needing a longer truck with better brakes. The 96 I have has wedge brakes which are almost useless even new and it has a air starter if anyone has put up with they know. I'm leaning toward the 98 f112 with the m11 as that is probably the simpler truck but I sure like the idea of having a 12.7 at 500 horse for a dump truck. Do most have some blowby at the 800,000 mile range? Again any info is appreciated.

Last edited:
Back