Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > Colorado/Canyon Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #21
Subman631

Name: Subman631
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfinished business View Post
How long ago did you buy your first house
Probaby before you were born.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #22
Subman631

Name: Subman631
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal Tomac View Post
I've been around, just don't post as much.

I priced out a Ram 1500 Trademan quad cab 4x4 with 3.0 Diesel and the sticker was under $42K. That seems like a good deal compared to the Colorado diesel but not if you consider my 2007 crew cab 4x4 LBZ Duramax had a sticker of 42K,
I bought my 07 classic new it is loaded, leather, sunroof, DVD, etc. but only paid 36k. Modded it a bit, twins, exhaust, lift pump, co-pilot, tranny, DSP-5, front end for a little bracket drag racing and sold it after 3 years for 38. Bought it again after the guy died and paid 32 the second time around. He had it 3 years and only put 12K on it. Still worth probably 30K. I'm keeping it. Went and looked at the Colorado, they don't have a diesel one yet, but truck is too small for my taste. my race trailer is heavy and has 1800 lbs of tongue weight, don't think that little truck would handle that.

Last edited by Subman631; 02-25-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #23
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman631 View Post
I bought my 07 classic new it is loaded, leather, sunroof, DVD, etc. but only paid 36k. Modded it a bit, twins, exhaust, lift pump, co-pilot, tranny, DSP-5, front end for a little bracket drag racing and sold it after 3 years for 38. Bought it again after the guy died and paid 32 the second time around. He had it 3 years and only put 12K on it. Still worth probably 30K. I'm keeping it. Went and looked at the Colorado, they don't have a diesel one yet, but truck is too small for my taste. my race trailer is heavy and has 1800 lbs of tongue weight, don't think that little truck would handle that.
If someone tows more than 6-7000 regularly I would recommend a regular 3/4-ton diesel rather than a 1/2-ton variant. But for someone who regularly tows 3-5000 the diesel Colorado and similar light diesels would be good I would think, and the Diesel Colorado can tow more when needed up to almost 8000, but I wouldn't want to tow that much with it every day!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #24
unfinished business

Name: unfinished business
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
If someone tows more than 6-7000 regularly I would recommend a regular 3/4-ton diesel rather than a 1/2-ton variant. But for someone who regularly tows 3-5000 the diesel Colorado and similar light diesels would be good I would think, and the Diesel Colorado can tow more when needed up to almost 8000, but I wouldn't want to tow that much with it every day!
I agree with what you are saying sir, but I also agree with Ken. What limits the smaller trucks is not the weight it can tow, but the tongue weight due to the GVWR and suspension. I had the same issue when I had an F150 ecoboost. The truck would haul well balanced loads great, but my friends chevelle with a BBC on a trailer with axles in a less than desirable location (tongue weight of 1500 or 1600lbs) made for towing nightmares...even with a distribution hitch. Not the trucks fault, but still a limitation that a 3/4 ton would not have.

So, I think it is all on the application and setup. I think it is really cool that the truck can tow that much and it just goes to show how far technology has come.

I cannot wait to test drive one.

Paul

Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #25
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfinished business View Post
I agree with what you are saying sir, but I also agree with Ken. What limits the smaller trucks is not the weight it can tow, but the tongue weight due to the GVWR and suspension. I had the same issue when I had an F150 ecoboost. The truck would haul well balanced loads great, but my friends chevelle with a BBC on a trailer with axles in a less than desirable location (tongue weight of 1500 or 1600lbs) made for towing nightmares...even with a distribution hitch. Not the trucks fault, but still a limitation that a 3/4 ton would not have.

So, I think it is all on the application and setup. I think it is really cool that the truck can tow that much and it just goes to show how far technology has come.

I cannot wait to test drive one.

Paul
I towed a skid steer with the Colorado Diesel from the company my son works for that installs light pole bases for parking lots. They normally to it with a newer 6.7L Ford Super Duty and funny enough the trailer squats the F-250 more than it did the Colorado Diesel!!! We did not redistribute anything on the trailer. I hooked to it EXACTLY the same way they disconnected from it and the little Colorado was 1.5 or so inches off the bump stops, and they tell me that the F-250 squats a ton when they use it to tow the same trailer, way more than when they tow the same trailer with the other employees Chevy 3500...

Both of the big diesel's get the trailer moving much better than the little 4-banger, but it wasn't too bad either...

Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com

Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #26
boss760

Name: boss760
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
My first tank of fuel was 575 miles with 20 gallons = 28.75 mpg. That was 100 miles local, 375 interstate (cruze speed 79 mph), and 100 miles 2-lane hwy. Not bad for the first tank. The dealer filled the truck for me the first time, the second tank I topped off all it would take.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #27
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss760 View Post
My first tank of fuel was 575 miles with 20 gallons = 28.75 mpg. That was 100 miles local, 375 interstate (cruze speed 79 mph), and 100 miles 2-lane hwy. Not bad for the first tank. The dealer filled the truck for me the first time, the second tank I topped off all it would take.
Cool to hear real world mileage is around what I expected! Are you happy with it so far???

tobinemail@aol.com

Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #28
inline

Name: inline
Title: Professional lurker
Member`s Gallery
I read that GM is going to put the 2.8 in their full size van, I know they de-rated the 6.6 to 250ish HP. Curious to see if the 150HP will push the vans or will they up the tuning.

edit; http://www.worktruckonline.com/news/...size-vans.aspx

Last edited by inline; 03-05-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #29
boss760

Name: boss760
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
My 2nd tank of fuel, all local driving, and driving it hard. longest trip was 25 miles. 450 miles, 19.5 gallons =23 mpg.

Closed Thread