Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > LBZ GM Duramax
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

LBZ GM Duramax Discussion of the Newest Generation Duramax and GM Trucks

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Head gasket failure testing

Does anyone have tried and true method for pinning down head gasket failures on these engines? I have tried several methods and have settled on basically cooling system pressure testing under load and backing that up with combustion gas detection. I still have my doubts on the accuracy of these tests however, especially on the "I'm adding coolant every thousand miles and have no leaks" type complaints. I'm hoping somebody has some input.

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
dezl

Name: dezl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
pressure tester worked for me but I was spitting coolant onto the firewall. If the truck is using coolant and you think its a head gasket, you can squeeze the upper radiator hose, combustion gas is getting into the coolant system it will be hard as a rock.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Dozerboy

Name: Dozerboy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Pull the Tstat housing start the truck and look for bubbles. They maybe very small. Pretty much if your coolant hoses are hard after the truck sit overnight you have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4
These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Closed Thread