Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > LML GM Duramax
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
mopar440cu

Name: mopar440cu
Title: Knowledge Seeker
Member`s Gallery
Smile LML upgrade suggestions

Hi everyone!
I just picked up a 2012 Silverado 3500 4x4 WT with a duramax motor and Allison transmission with 37K miles and was wondering what would be the first mods you would suggest? This truck is not going to race or offroad. It is for pulling a 16' trailer for my aluminum extrusion company. I own a bunch of Cummins trucks, but never a Duramax so its a whole new ball game. I have ordered a service manual for it, but figured I could learn stuff from you guys also.

On our Cummins we start by installing gauges first then start getting rid of the junk lift pump and install AirDog165 's and put in a 1/2" fuel line. Then comes the bigger air filters and so on...

My questions to you is.

1-Is this the same basic steps as described above with these motors?

2-I know it has a CP4 fuel pump, but does it have a in tank sender? I am guessing an Airdog would help out with fuel delivery.

3-What would you suggest for air filter setup? Or leave it stock?

4-What type of tuner to get? LML has a EGR, Cat, DPF & DEF.

5- Should I delete all of these, LML has a EGR, Cat, DPF & DEF? Or just some? What kit to do this is best?

Thanks for any suggestions!
01 3500, Quadzilla Adrenaline, 62-68-12, Airdog 165, Banks intake, ATS header, 110 BD injectors, 4 inch exhaust to 8" black miter stack,4:30 gears, Suncoast transmission w/ billet input shaft, Dynamic VB, Georend billet flexplate and Suncoast triple disc convertor.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
WhitetailAddict

Name: WhitetailAddict
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I'd put a lift pump on it and leave it stock until it gives you a reason to tune it. Then I'd put emissions compliant tuning on it unless it gave you a reason not to.

The cp4 draws fuel from the tank. There is not a factory lift pump.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
mopar440cu

Member`s Gallery
What about a different air filter?
01 3500, Quadzilla Adrenaline, 62-68-12, Airdog 165, Banks intake, ATS header, 110 BD injectors, 4 inch exhaust to 8" black miter stack,4:30 gears, Suncoast transmission w/ billet input shaft, Dynamic VB, Georend billet flexplate and Suncoast triple disc convertor.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
mopar440cu

Member`s Gallery
Also what about a throttle booster??

Old 07-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
WhitetailAddict

Name: WhitetailAddict
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
An s&b intake was proven to make a difference on ATP's shop truck. Personally, I don't think it's worth the money to me.

By throttle booster I assume you mean a box to eliminate the dead pedal. I hate the dead pedal but I have no experience with any of those boxes.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Lift pump

Stock air filter flows decent, you can pick some up with an aftermarket but you need a sealed box or it’s a “hot” air intake and does nothing for you.

Better fuel filter. Talk to Rob.

Exhaust (not straight pipe, they sound like dog asz!)

Delete all the crap if you can and tune it, if you can.

The CP4’s aren’t our most robust design... however with a lift pump your chances of survival go way up. I’ve done my fair share of “total loss” high pressure systems, not a single one had a lift pump.. (guessing I’m in the 200+ plus range of total failures)

That switch, I’ve never seen one from GM like that BUT I’m in AZ and not much use for a plow round here.

If you want to shoot me a PM with the vin I can see if your air bag was already done under the recall or if you have any other recalls and get you a service history threw GM on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
at "hot" air intake.....thought we were past that?

Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Here is some reading that may help you. Part 1: ATP Project: LML Duramax - Factory Emissions Equipped

I highly recommend the S&B and a AD 4G lift pump.

I ran the stock CP4 for 4 years and never had an issue. GM came out with a compete fuel system. injectors, return lines, pump, etc. for under 2000.00 in case the cp4 ever lets go. So i never felt the need to swap to a cp3.

If you don't want to tune/delete it, then the BD throttle box will help with the dead peddle.

Intake, lift pump, the throttle box will really help the drive-ability of the truck.

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Closed Thread