Project Silver Bullet

tiffo60

Don't flame the name of the build project too hard just threw it on it last minute lol. But I am starting a build/resto on a 1987 Pete 379 exhd 63" Sleeper with 3406B & 15 over I just picked up a couple of weeks ago and I will update the thread the best I can as I go along and time allows.
We already went thru and replaced any/all U-joints, suspension bushings, shocks, king pins, etc. Ordered a new Radiator and CAC just to not have to hassle with any unforeseen future issues with the 25+ year ones lol. Also going thru the engine and replacing seals, rubber, etc. Ordered the Cabmate Cab & Sleeper air ride kits for it as-well as a lot of interior and exterior stuff last night for it to help get a kick start on things when it comes time to piece it all back together.
We are going to strip it down and get it ready to go to paint over the next week or so. Pulling all the cab & sleeper stainless fairings, battery & tool boxes, headache rack, engine fifth wheel, fuel tanks, entire interior to try and get as complete and quality of a paint job on it as possible.
I'm replacing all the existing stainless trim on the cab and sleeper with some 9" fairings kits minus all chicken lights. Order some big sheets of plate to build some custom bumpers for the front and rear, haven't quite decided on the style yet but I will draw up something over the next few days.
When it gets back from paint I am going to sound proof/deaden then whole interior before I put everything back in and see how quite I can get the ride when shes back together. I will probably use the B-Quite stuff.
Searching out the right Turbo/Injector combo for good mannered 750hp +/-. From what I have been reading it shouldn't be too difficult to make possible.
My plans quickly went from keeping it simple to getting out of hand with it lol but it should/will be nice when I get her all done. Shooting for completion by the spring........

Here are some starter pics

Pic from the Craigslist add I got her at
5D9CADA7-D468-4503-97E8-D62D338727F5-2394-000003F5B8AEB4BA_zps2d39a819.jpg

Some pics from the start of the tear down

IMG_2480_zps3293a82b.jpg

IMG_2479_zpsb0dbd49d.jpg

IMG_2478_zps98d6c6f0.jpg

IMG_2477_zpsd4bbd0e8.jpg

IMG_2475_zps0b97ec6f.jpg

IMG_2474_zps4c3af038.jpg

IMG_2473_zps08a1b576.jpg

IMG_2472_zps7f95024c.jpg

Last edited:
What serial number prefix is it? Probably a 4MG. You can make some pretty respectable power out of them, pretty easy. My father has a 3406B, 4MG in his Kenworth that he pulls. Its pretty tough competition for a V8 Mack, that is known to be making 750 hp, with just a set of nozzles. You'll make 750 easy.

What serial number prefix is it? Probably a 4MG. You can make some pretty respectable power out of them, pretty easy. My father has a 3406B, 4MG in his Kenworth that he pulls. Its pretty tough competition for a V8 Mack, that is known to be making 750 hp, with just a set of nozzles. You'll make 750 easy.

I haven't found a legible tag on it yet.......

If the block is in good shape it will be on the turbo side of the block between cylinder 5 and 6. It may not be easily visible if the engine has ever been painted.

If the block is in good shape it will be on the turbo side of the block between cylinder 5 and 6. It may not be easily visible if the engine has ever been painted.

Good info, I'll check it out Monday after the holiday and see if I can make it out.

Ordered alot of the Rockwood stuff today for the dash panels, trim pieces, & flooring. I hope this stuff looks as good as the price they sell it for :eek::eek::eek:

very cool..if ya don't mind me askin whatd something like that run ya?? im looking into trying to find something very similar and redo it. thanks, good build keep it up!

very cool..if ya don't mind me askin whatd something like that run ya?? im looking into trying to find something very similar and redo it. thanks, good build keep it up!

10k, really more than I wanted to pay but it was running and turns out motor is pretty tight so it seems to have been rebuilt not too long ago. Most I was looking at were 7500 +/- with shot motors. They go quick though. I missed a couple just by a day or so, this guy got half dozen calls just a few hours after me making the deal with him. I'm still on the hunt for a 78-80 model 359exhd 63" flat top :), but I have slowed my efforts till I get this one done.

that's a pretty good deal..id like to find something identical to it and redo it the way I want..i LOVE the look of a small bunk on a truck..but for me the wheelbase has to be under 230 for farm use..some of the field entrances I use is a squeeze with a 200"WB with a 40ft hopper bottom..but I gotta find a new rig cuz the R model shucked a rod and this 3406C in my t600 is a POS..

We have about got it stripped down and ready for paint, still have to put the fairings that came in on some odds & ends but its getting close.

36E6C04E-C197-45B6-AC64-1029DB0C74BC_zpsootlyrqo.jpg

D3998D5A-C145-4F63-8063-C2BE63874DE2_zpspr08m1vu.jpg

4BC8CEDB-B93B-409A-BAB7-251A9BEBE63D_zps9llkwkiz.jpg

E74E40CB-4C60-4E78-8435-4B5AE2A44F8C_zpsfrbdtbeu.jpg

E38C80F7-77E1-471D-9BBB-4B7E761F36C5_zpsm4ddkbzf.jpg

Air Installed on the sleeper
3B9EF455-3A17-44A6-BAA0-826B781E9685_zpsvg7upzje.jpg

Aftermath of my latenight internet shopping sprees have started to arrive

38B1EE28-8D72-4262-BACE-6FA036EF69BE_zpsmdsxchjn.jpg

E0EA6C36-1303-48DF-85FD-6FCA66ADC97B_zps5i6kzgth.jpg

Sorry for going off topic in your thread on TDG, but those guys piss me off when they say that you need to change to a different crank before you can go to those power levels you mentioned.

Sorry for going off topic in your thread on TDG, but those guys piss me off when they say that you need to change to a different crank before you can go to those power levels you mentioned.

No sweat, I don't know enough about them either way, I usually learn after I break it lol.

Well I will give you a little back story. When the 7FB cam out cat started having bearing longevity issues with that engine and the 4mg that came after, so instead of CAT looking into the bearing material itself they decided to go to the wide bearing crank.

I think the material was the sole cause of the issue as the 3406a, 3408, and even the 1693 never had the major issues as the first B model. Something that confirms this in my mind is that they still are using the same physical size bearing in their V12 engines at 1925hp, so half that would be around 960hp for an inline 6.

Well I will give you a little back story. When the 7FB cam out cat started having bearing longevity issues with that engine and the 4mg that came after, so instead of CAT looking into the bearing material itself they decided to go to the wide bearing crank.

I think the material was the sole cause of the issue as the 3406a, 3408, and even the 1693 never had the major issues as the first B model. Something that confirms this in my mind is that they still are using the same physical size bearing in their V12 engines at 1925hp, so half that would be around 960hp for an inline 6.

So I should be safe enough to roll in some new bearings and call it good?

That's what I did and my old bearings weren't even blemished which surprised me after the abuse that I put the engine thru.

Back