Cummins or Duramax

Gambler

So, just interested in how many of the Cummins guys would be willing to swap to a Duramax? Why or why not?
This is stemming from a guy off a pm....

I had an 02 LB7 that I put 65-70,000 miles on before I traded it off for an 04 LLY that got wrecked a couple weeks ago, I now own an 08 LMM

I wouldn't consider it. Half my buddies have dmaxs. To me they seem expensive and ornery. My truck also doesn't limp....

Sent from my fancy thinking box

I'd never go to the dark side, even if they did have cookies! I consider my CR somewhat of a collector item seeing as how it was the last year for the 5.9, 48re, and no emissions crap.

I'd consider owning both! I would never get rid of my Cummins though. If your doing what they are meant for (towing, which I don't do much of) you cannot be an inline 6 cylinder.

Even though my trucks are pretty much stock I'm always impressed with how they handle power demands.

Only real reason I'd have for owning a Duramax is to just play with something else.

I'd never go to the dark side, even if they did have cookies! I consider my CR somewhat of a collector item seeing as how it was the last year for the 5.9, 48re, and no emissions crap.

I miss my 07. Can't believe I sold it... :doh:

And I love my '11 Ram now. I've always wanted to try an LMM or LML deleted, with a lift pump and EFI. But everybody that I've known that's had both says they are quick but don't feel as strong on the "butt dyno". According to them, the inline just has a more deep down grunty feel. I'm still curious about trying one myself. But the Laramie 4th gen interior is better than the LTZ and Denali interiors I've seen. And you have acres of space to work on a CR. Duramax, not quite as much

We have a few dmax's around as work trucks and my DD is a Denali Dually and they have all been exceptional for not breaking down except for lb7 injector issues on the oldest. Just had the first one clunk out at ~500,000km that was likely due to the injector isssue.

They are the ****s to work on compared to the inline Cummins, I don't ever think I'd bomb one.

My LML is damn strong, but dyno and all....LOL As to the towing issue remember DP doing the mountain climb and the 6.7 Cummins was sucking the hind tit the whole way.

Last edited:
muhy4u4e.jpg

I've had 20+ d-max's and just as many cummins (this is throughout my whole life) and wouldn't hesitate to own more. Still have 2 d-max's now along with a first and second gen cummins. The ole cummins' are good old rigs I just get tired of the truck falling apart around the engine. They all have their strong and weak points but I wouldn't hesitate to go to a duramax if I were to only own one truck.

As far as brand new trucks go, I would own an LML or a 6.7 PowerStroke way before I would own a 6.7 Cummins. I have drove all three, and the two V8 config engines feel much stronger than the Cummins. Not that they don't all have gobs of power, but if you're getting down the knitty gritty, they come out ahead. Quite a few towing tests show the same results as what my seat of the pants assessment states. That and I just really like the look of this :D

0.jpg

I own a 06 cummins and 03 duramax. Both are decent trucks and both have their issues.
The Cummins is much cheaper and easier to work on but rides like a tank compared to the dmax, an upgraded center link and tie rod sleeves will fix your IFS issues for the chevy.
Upgrading to free spin hubs and Carli ball joints was probably the best investment I made for the dodge, saves your front end u-joints/wheel bearing assy and better fuel milage.

Not sure about the new trucks.

ive got a 00 cummins, 08 cummins, and an 05 LLY.

for towing, i prefer the cummins wayyy over the duramax. the duramax engine just feels like its working too hard pulling up until around 75-80 mph, then it seems to pull great.

the cummins on the other hand, has like everyone else says, wayy better low end grunt, and they tow awesome, but they seem to get winded at around 75-80.

i like both engines for their strong points. duramax being the haul ass engine, and the cummins for the towing and low end power. cummins is definitely cheaper and easier to work on. but once you get past all the wiring and EPA bs on the duramax, they are pretty simple themselves...

I'm a cummins guy, but my buddy has an lbz that I would strongly consider buying if he ever sold it. Both seem like winners to me.

My brother went from a 2008 crew cab LTZ LMM to a 2010 Crew Ram 6.7 and the 6.7 definately pullled better, got better mileage pulling and slowed the trailer down a lot better. The gm with a 3 inch lift (needed to clear 34's) rode the same as the factory ram (cleared 34's stock). Gm was faster with EFI vs the ram with H&S. Took twice as long to delete the egr on the duramax vs the cummins. Neither trucks broke anything in the 30k miles he had them. He has now switched to a 2006 5.9 3500 6spd. Pulls, handles the weight better, and gets better mileage loaded or empty vs both of those trucks LOL

Kind of a "what do you want/what do you like" question. Both engines have strengths and weaknesses.

I like a truck to be cheap to hop up.
I like a truck that's easy to work on.
I like a truck to be really good on fuel.
I like a truck to be dead reliable.
I like a truck to ride like a truck - not a Buick.
I like a truck that has its power low down in the RPM range.... where I actually drive it 90% of the time.
I like a mechanical diesel... there's nothing out there that runs as consistent as a mechanical diesel.
I like the L6 design - simple, cheap, durable, effective and gobs of low end grunt.
I like simple and that pretty well eliminates anything that runs on computers.
I like straight axles front and rear -strength, durability, simplicity

I don't know guys.... starting to look like I'll never leave my dinosaur Cummins!

Back