How Important Is O-Ring'ing Head

EverydayDiesel

I drink diesel
I found a good shop that can do machine work but they only do fire ring'ing which they do not recommend on a daily driver.

Will it be ok, with compounds, to not o-ring the head? Or is this a must?

Thanks in advance

Humm, I am not sure i can do that and keep the depth the same all the way around.

5025344341_055cb122d1_o.jpg

Depending on what setup you're gonna have, I would lean towards the stock mls with arp 625's, you can run o-rings(a few shops can do it with 6.7s), or you can make fire rings work if you re-torque enough and run only round grooves.

You want a few heat cycles in between each retorque. For fire-rings it will be 4-7 retorques or until they stop moving.

Looks like this groove o matic needs the bore of the block to guide it. How can this be centered for the head?

Can't center the Isky tool on the head. It's made to cut into the block. It's really easy to do. What do you feel you HAVE to put it on the head?

I dont understand how you control the depth of the cut and ensure that it says uniform across the entire cyl

What have multiple people told you about searching? Look up a video. It close up pictures. Or one of the mutiple write up threads. Additionally, this style of tool has been around for YEARS. A lot of old school gas race car builders use them.

lol there is one 'time lapse' video on youtube using this tool which does not answer my question. the rest is disco videos which i am not interested in.

It has pins that sit on the deck of the block that are adjustable to set your depth, and the cutter is adjustable so you can set the diameter of your ring. Then you just set it on top the block and turn it until it doesn't cut anymore. It's been a year or three since I did one, but that Sums it up pretty much.

Back