8260 RPM Cummins

So what we have learned here is that we are technically safe up to say, 8259 RPM?

Electronic fuel dump valve , or a fail safe rack design like a Detroit .. possible ? and would anyone buy theses if they was built ?

Last edited:
Or two levers side by side and close enough you grab them both easily at the same time.

This is a great idea and we will definitely incorporate something similar on the build-up this time around. Now to figure out how to make a simple push button or push-lever that is leveraged to reliably pull the fuel dump and the air shutoff at the same time. It sounds like one of those "in your mind 4 hour fab projects" that ends up taking a full week to dial-in perfect... But I'll gladly trade a week of messing around with the safety activation system if it saves the engine... or driver's life!!!

Last edited:
This is what I came up with...On the left is fuel dump right is air kill, if I swing my arm down they fall right on the knobs. I had to use these when the little bracket that holds the throttle return spring broke on me. Its not a good feeling when you lift on the throttle at the end of the quarter and you gain more speed. cant imagine what went through your mind... my air kill shut it off immediately, next problem is no brakes and power steering is gone and your near the end of the shut down.. hard left hand turn of soft slicks, hope I never experience this again...

IMG 4021 - YouTube

Attachments

• IMG_5126 (1).jpg
    IMG_5126 (1).jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 0
This is a great idea and we will definitely incorporate something similar on the build-up this time around. Now to figure out how to make a simple push button or push-lever that is leveraged to reliably pull the fuel dump and the air shutoff at the same time. It sounds like one of those "in your mind 4 hour fab projects" that ends up taking a full week to dial-in perfect... But I'll gladly trade a week of messing around with the safety activation system if it saves the engine... or driver's life!!!

This is what I came up with...On the left is fuel dump right is air kill, if I swing my arm down they fall right on the knobs. I had to use these when the little bracket that holds the throttle return spring broke on me. Its not a good feeling when you lift on the throttle at the end of the quarter and you gain more speed. cant imagine what went through your mind... my air kill shut it off immediately, next problem is no brakes and power steering is gone and your near the end of the shut down.. hard left hand turn of soft slicks, hope I never experience this again...

IMG 4021 - YouTube

For both of you, and any other fast guys... It probably would be a good idea to set it up to deploy the chutes at the same time as well... pulling three levers in the heat of the moment is likely to cause something to be missed while pulling one "oh crap" lever can do it all!!! Would be best with a master and slave setup where they can each be tripped/pulled individually in normal operation then in an emergency the single "oh crap" lever activates the fuel dump, air shutoff and pops the chutes...:snoop:

Engine disassembly 101:
Not like that.

Man that sucks for you guys, sorry to see, but glad you are alright.

Tear-down video update:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3ujpMytoI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3ujpMytoI[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're running hand throttle. How about when you pull it back to idle, it can go past a detent, and pull further to dump fuel, air, whatever. No searching for a lever, your hand is already on it.

Saw a post from Seth that the rack didn't stick . Linkage issue ? Can't wait to see this at ucc again

Last edited:
Nothing for nothing but that rack was moving but it was not at temperature nor under a load? Put that senerio in the mix and see if the rack gets sticky....

Can we see what data log was reading before things wound up? I wonder if the injection pump housing was fracturing before the boom......

Nothing for nothing but that rack was moving but it was not at temperature nor under a load? Put that senerio in the mix and see if the rack gets sticky....

If a plunger seizes/ hangs that's it- it's stuck and will be stuck until it gets hammered apart at a fuel shop.

Can we see what data log was reading before things wound up? I wonder if the injection pump housing was fracturing before the boom......

From my talks with Will and Todd, the data log showed all 6 cylinders at normal exhaust temp through the whole run. Stuck plunger = ice cold cylinder because it's not getting any fuel.

I intentionally hadn't commented or posted until I got the pump back. Pulled the pump out of the box and made the quick video to post what we found. No finger pointing or politics, it is was it is.

Back